1k$ balanced DAC with USB input?
Jan 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 for the PS Audio DLIII.

i have a modded one in my setup. i couldn't believe what a difference it made when i added it. very smooth, 3D and splendiferous.

What's your mod on the DLIII? I've just visited their website and it looks interesting.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Dannie: Just wonder if it has balanced output and USB input? Actually, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Oh sorry, I forgot you need balanced output for LD MKVI.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

What's your mod on the DLIII? I've just visited their website and it looks interesting.

Rick Cullen, who designed the Digital Link originally but does not build it, does mods with the endorsement of PS Audio. they honor their warranty on Cullen-modded DLIII's, so it's risk-free.

basically, Cullen adds a bunch of things that he wanted to be included standard in the retail DAC, but which PS Audio left out because they wanted to make their price target of sub-$1000.

i have the "Level 3" mods:
  1. Replace 28 resistors in the audio signal path with Dale Rn55d copper leaded parts.
  2. Replace 11 electrolytic capacitors with audio grade Muse caps.
  3. Replace 8 FET's in the DAC's output stage with hand matched low noise parts.
  4. Install ERS cloth.
  5. Install WBT NextGen 210cu RCA jacks.
  6. Install clock modification board replacing internal clocks with low jitter clock.
you can find new modified units for around $1500-1600, sometimes cheaper.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #35 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rick Cullen, who designed the Digital Link originally but does not build it, does mods with the endorsement of PS Audio. they honor their warranty on Cullen-modded DLIII's, so it's risk-free.

basically, Cullen adds a bunch of things that he wanted to be included standard in the retail DAC, but which PS Audio left out because they wanted to make their price target of sub-$1000.

i have the "Level 3" mods:
  1. Replace 28 resistors in the audio signal path with Dale Rn55d copper leaded parts.
  2. Replace 11 electrolytic capacitors with audio grade Muse caps.
  3. Replace 8 FET's in the DAC's output stage with hand matched low noise parts.
  4. Install ERS cloth.
  5. Install WBT NextGen 210cu RCA jacks.
  6. Install clock modification board replacing internal clocks with low jitter clock.
you can find new modified units for around $1500-1600, sometimes cheaper.

just to add, you can now get a new DLIII w/ stage III mods from cullen for $1390 (normally $1590). not sure how long this special pricing is good for although you can usually find new ones on audiogon at that price as well.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Hmm sound interesting.
How does it compare with other DACs in the same range, say the BelCanto DAC3?

i only compared the stock DLIII to the DAC3, and those two were very close. comparing my modified DLIII to stock, the modified unit has a more three-dimensional, rich presentation: the mids are slightly lusher, the soundstage extends a little wider and deeper.

the stock unit is mighty fine, but the mods (IMHO) are easily worth the extra cash. i'm not going to say it "sounds like a DAC ten-times its price!"... but it sounds like a bona fide high-end piece of kit... i love it.

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #38 of 59
i never heard the modded DLIII but have the stock version and the DAC3 and they do sound very similar indeed. DLIII sounds a tad warmer and punchier while the DAC3 has slightly better resolution, details, and separation. if it matters to you, the DLIII has selectable up-sampling (96 or 192) while the DAC3 can be used as a pre with digital volume control. overall, i prefer the DAC3 ever so slightly but for the money, the DLIII represents a better value and i'd go with the Stage 3 modded DLIII.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #39 of 59
Can you guys show me the link to the mod site? This DAC is very promising
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lil' knight if your getting a new dac your selling me your dacmagic OKAY? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

You got your reserve, sir
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #41 of 59
Jan 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #43 of 59
Just picked up the stock PS DL3 to use with my HD-650 and darkvoice 332. Love the warm sound. My ears can't stand any harshness so this combo is working well for me.

This is replacing a Xindac DAC-5 I bought from a seller on Ebay. The tube output wouldn't work, so I had to send it back and the guy kept stringing me along, and here I am 9 months later with no Xindak and Amex disputing my charges.

I can't give you a comparison of the two since I haven't listened to my headphones in 9 months (so obviously any DAC will sound good to me right now, but the PS-3 is just what I was looking for, warm and not harsh).

I remember the Xindak did sound good when I had it. Great value for the money. The only way to get it is on Ebay, but I have had enough with those crooks.

I'll probably enjoy the stock PS3 for a few months before I send it off to Cullen for stage 3 mods. This way when I get the DAC back from Cullen, I'll be completely floored again.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which laptop do you have? most port replicators and docking stations have spdif out. if you are docked and your laptop SC allows it, then you open up your choices big time. Lite DAC-68 comes to mind - tubes and balanced.

Mine is a HP DV9225 and Mac Air. The HP is supposed to have a SPDIF but I haven't tried it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back