1k$ balanced DAC with USB input?
Jan 12, 2009 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Lil' Knight

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm thinking to upgrade my setup again (don't know when it'll end
ph34r.gif
).
My current balanced rig is CA DacMagic -> LittleDot MK VI -> balanced HD650.
I do love the MK VI and HD650 so there's no way I'll replace one of them.

My preference music is smooth, bassy, kinda slow pace. I do hate the harshness, that's why I love the HD650 so much. I mainly use my laptop as a transporter so USB is a must.

Right now, I'm thinking of the Benchmark DAC1 USB. Not sure about the synergy with my MKVI+HD650 because according to what I've read, its sound is a little bit thin.

Of course, there's another option, the Stello DA220 MKII.

So, I need some suggestions about which one to get
redface.gif

Thanks

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking to upgrade my setup again (don't know when it'll end
ph34r.gif
).
My current balanced rig is CA DacMagic -> LittleDot MK VI -> balanced HD650.
I do love the MK VI and HD650 so there's no way I'll replace one of them.

My preference music is smooth, bassy, kinda slow pace. I do hate the harshness, that's why I love the HD650 so much. I mainly use my laptop as a transporter so USB is a must.

Right now, I'm thinking of the Benchmark DAC1 USB. Not sure about the synergy with my MKVI+HD650 because according to what I've read, its sound is a little bit thin.

Of course, there's another option, the Stello DA220 MKII.

So, I need some suggestions about which one to get
redface.gif

Thanks

I'm preparing a review right now comparing Great March II, Lavry DA10, Stello DA220 MKII and Bel Canto DAC3.

The Stello is a great DAC and edges out the Lavry. I've heard the Lavry and Benchmark side-by-side before and chose the Lavry. The Benchmark was bright, edgy and thin. Lavry removes the thin, digital side but lacks a little in the lower frequencies and tends to sustain notes less than other DACs like the Stello, Bel Canto, Transporter, etc.

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What specifically is wrong with the dacmagic?

Nothing wrong. It's just upgrade. Considering how I like the amp and phones, it would cost 2x 3x times to get a big improvement if I decide to change the amp or phones. I can't find a balanced tube amp for less than 2k$ or a better Senn. The HD800 simply is not a purchase at this time.

@Ben Diss: That's great! So, in you opinion, the Stello is better than both the DA10 and DAC1?
I'm still confused about the thin sound of the DAC1, which I really don't like. The thick, layered sound of the HD650, despite someone's disliking, is always my favorite.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 59
You might be able to find an Apogee with USB option card for about that price, used.

Jan 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #8 of 59
I have a PS Audio Digital Link III and I use it with my HD650s and a KICAS Caliente and a Millet Minimax and I love the sound. However, I have not used the balanced outputs and run with coax instead of USB. I can say that it sounds great in my system though. Lots of detail without introducing harshness and lows are rich and deep.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 59
i second the PS Audio DLIII. much smoother and fuller sounding than the dac1 and it packs a punch. although with the tube amp and hd650 balancing out the dac1, you shouldn't have much problem with the harshness.

alwayshungry, how do you like the Valab NOS dac vs the the DLIII?

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just read some comments about the Stello DA100 and DA220 MKII. Some say the Stello is not for the HD650 because it's quite warm and bassy. That only makes me more confused ...

I didn't find it warm or bassy at all. I found it very balanced. What I'd like to hear, is the difference between the DA100 and DA220.

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 59
Jan 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Diss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't find it warm or bassy at all. I found it very balanced. What I'd like to hear, is the difference between the DA100 and DA220.

supposedly the da100 and da220 sounded practically the same which gives the advantage to the da100 price-wise, although i have not heard either. ben diss, i'm curious to hear which one you picked. the dac3, although that will probably spoil your review?

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice spamming there. Someone ban this guy.

Do you know what you are talking?
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check this Stello DA220 out that is for sale right now but I am sure not for long:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f43/st...9/#post5264745

Yeah, I've seen that ad and am considering it and the DAC1.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is wrong with the DAC1 ?
I think a lot of guys here still love it and think it is one great DAC

As I said above, some comments that it sounds pretty thin and too flat, which is not my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back