1hr 20mins to rip 10 songs?!
Jul 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ackers07

Head-Fier
That's how long it took to rip my album into Ogg using 192min/224max VBR. It sounds a lot cleaner and crisper than mp3 at 320kbps as I've found - for almost half the file size. And it sounds as good as lossless through my sansa clip and re-2 iem's + e5 amp.

So why does it take this long and can I get the same results using different settings to make it faster cos at about 9mins per song to rip it's a bit annoying.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Gotta be the computer specs. Or you've enabled some ultra secure mode on EAC.
wink.gif

Or both.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 13
In any case glad to see you like using a more modern (and FOSS) codec than the dinosaur people insist on using. To be specific though, the codec is Vorbis and the container is OGG (kinda ambiguous to call it OGG since other codecs use the same container).

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 13
I'm using an old laptop with XP, has 256mb ram and 2ghz speed I think... nothing special but I'm in no rush to buy a new one. I also had a few apps open as well so that probably didn't help. Anyway I use a program called Express Rip to rip my cd's and it ripped my albums in 320kbps mp3 in less than 5mins... I noticed it was a lot quicker to rip in ogg not using VBR but the other setting so I might just use that... rip it at about the 8 mark I guess.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you ripping it? EAC with secure mode on is horribly slow. I use burst even though it's supposedly bad quality.

And listing your computer specs would be nice.

Burst mode is actually perfectly fine most of the time IF the songs are confirmed via Accuraterip; any mismatches should be reripped though. Secure is definitely the way to go for super rare stuff that isn't on Accuraterip and I use it always because I'm paranoid. An album takes 10-20 min. to rip to FLAC secure on my computer.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 13
I recommend you give EAC a try, instead of Express Rip (Express..
tongue.gif
).
Unless the CD is badly scratched a rip should normally be done in less than 10 minutes.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 13
I have never used Express Rip so I don't know how it does things. Generally the very slow rips (30 minutes or longer) are caused by the ripping software doing a "secure" or "paranoid" style rip where it will do things like re-read areas where it detects errors and slow down the drive if it detects errors.

I have had rips take over 30 minutes before. Generally those are discs that aren't going to verify with AccurateRip because there are so many errors.

If you get rips that finish in under 5 minutes then you're using some kind of burst mode. The only time I would trust a burst mode is if I'm using a ripper that ties in with AccurateRip to check if the rip is good. If the rip checks with AccurateRip then it is all good, even if done in burst mode. If the rip doesn't check with AccurateRip then the paranoid thing to do is re-rip it using a more secure or more error checking mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back