1GB Flash-based players
Nov 13, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 23
Cowon's iAudio U2 is a fantastic MP3 player. The lithium battery charges through a USB connection, or you can buy an AC adapter for it off Cowon's site.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 23
I've been using an iAudio5 daily for about 6 months now and am pretty happy with it. It has a few shortcomings but on the whole I'd recommend it. I notice two of my complaints (poor navigation and short battery life) would be fixed with the G3...

Positives:
* Very good sound quality
* Very good line out signal (the strongest I found in my comparisons before buying)
* Uses a no-fuss USB 2 flash drive approach to copying files over
* Very good track record with the firmware upgrades
* Ogg support
* Uses a AAA battery, so you never have to send it in for a replacement
* FM reception is respectable for a DAP

Negatives:
* Navigation is awkward until you memorize it
* Battery life is kind of short, so it's good to cary a spare AAA around
* Display is hard to read through the carrying case when you're outside
* Once in awhile the player gets confused and I have to pop out the battery to reset it.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 23
I have an iAudio U2 (same as G3 except for battery type, similar to 5) and I like it very much. However I'm sure there is no line out on it and I don't think the 5 has one either...

Nov 14, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grignr
I've been using an iAudio5 daily for about 6 months now and am pretty happy with it. It has a few shortcomings but on the whole I'd recommend it. I notice two of my complaints (poor navigation and short battery life) would be fixed with the G3...

Positives:
* Very good sound quality
* Very good line out signal (the strongest I found in my comparisons before buying)
* Uses a no-fuss USB 2 flash drive approach to copying files over
* Very good track record with the firmware upgrades
* Ogg support
* Uses a AAA battery, so you never have to send it in for a replacement
* FM reception is respectable for a DAP

Negatives:
* Navigation is awkward until you memorize it
* Battery life is kind of short, so it's good to cary a spare AAA around
* Display is hard to read through the carrying case when you're outside
* Once in awhile the player gets confused and I have to pop out the battery to reset it.

That's a good review thanks. The plus point of the 5 over the G3 might be that it uses a AAA battery (rather than a AA) and so should be smaller and lighter. Does anyone know if the G3 a little too heavy/big because it uses AA batteries?

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #21 of 23
It is just a bit heavier and bigger. However, you got more battery life with it.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 23
Hi!

Can anyone comment on the reception that any of the Iaudio players get on the FM radio? I live around 50 miles away from the radio stations. I know the irivers are good in my area though. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #23 of 23
Hi again,

I'd just like to thanks you all for replying to this thread. I opted for the G3 in the end and it's a fantastic little player! Great sound quality and ease of use - just what the doctor ordered. (I still think the Sony NWA-1000B looks nicer, but I just hate the controls they put in place!!!)

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back