1GB Flash-based players
Nov 12, 2005 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

lordgibbness

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend me the best buy for a small 1GB mp3 player?

I'm not interested in a HD-based device as I think they're too fragile and heavy. The main brands I'm interested in are Creative, Cowon, Iriver, Apple and Sony. I would prefer to have a removable battery (so that I don't need to charge it up when I'm on holiday) and really need a screen so I don't think the shuffle would be suitable. I have heard the the Sony software isn't really up to much (it encrypts on transfer and I guess will not work with Linux). Also are the new Iriver devices WinXP only - using a MS proprietory transfer method? I don't want to be tied to Windows if at all possible.

If that is that case then that pretty much limits it to Creative and Cowon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 23
Cowon G3 - it is using 1 AA and can give you around 30 ~ 40 hours of playback, and you can just mount it as a removable hard disk and put the songs onto it without using any other programs. It offers OGG support, and FM radios, and I think it sound pretty good.

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 23
Cheers,

I was having a look at the iRiver site and it looks like the older models all work fine with different OS's, but the newer ones (T10, 20, 30) all use a proprietory microsoft transfer method and require windows xp.

The Cowon models look do quite nice - even the ones that have a built in battery are charged using an adapter rather than a USB socket, which is good as I wouldn't take a computer away with me on my hols.

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 23
Cowon (Iaudio) now offers quite a few of these that will fit your bill, and I am finding that Cowon really delivers the goods in terms of updates and quality products. The G3 is really tempting to recommend, but you should go to iaudio.com and search through their players for the one you want as a few don't support certain file types, etc.

Nov 12, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 23
Another vote for a cowon iaudio player. Theres g3, u2 and u3's coming out soon. It should be good. Theres also iriver, u10, t10 and t30. I'd go for iaudio though due to their good filmware updates opposed to iriver's once in a blue moon new filmware.

Nov 13, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 23
I've been having a look on the cowon site and the G3, '5' and U2 all look really good. I'll have to look at some reviews for these models to see which one would suit me more. Also, the sound of a new U3 sounds good too.... maybe I should wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 23
Nov 13, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 23
Good 512mb & 1(gb) DAP's! * Samsung "YP-U1X", "YP-T7X ", "YP-T8", Cowon DAP's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All four of these are good for the money, the YP-U1X is the latest 512mb DAP out from Samsung it Beats the "Apple Shuffle" hands down, with a navigation screen, voice record, 5 band EQ, direct MP3 line in recording, 14hr battery life, and a built in hinged USB, and supports MP3, WMA, secure WMA, WAV, and OGG codec. All this for the same price as the Apple shuffle. And is also available in a 1gb version. Overseas they have a 2gb version, hopefully available here in the U.S. soon.

YP-U1X $99.00USD
YP-U1X.jpg

And the YP-T7X is another fine choice for a 512mb DAP it does everything the YP-U1X does "plus" it supports Audio ASF codec, and has FM reception and FM record, text and image recording, 65,000 color LCD screen, and a seven band EQ, 12hr battery life, and both DAP's use 2.0 high speed data transfer. Although there has been some changes to the YP-T7X and I was not able to get the latest pics. The changes are an upgraded TFT active matrix LCD screen for much better resolution, and a much more user friendly paddle navigation wheel, and DNSE 3D surround sound. Also available in a 1gb version here, and 2gb overseas, again hopefully released here in the U.S. soon.

YP-T7X $120.00USD
YP-T7X.jpg

The YP-T8 is also a good choice, with a 20hr battery life, but probably a little Pricey, instead of writting about it you might want to check it out at www.samsung.com . Buy the way all three of these DAP's are managable by drag and drop file transfer.

YP-T8 $149.00USD
YP-T8.jpg

Cowan U3
cowang3.jpg

Nov 13, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushimoto
Cowan G3
cowang3.jpg

I think that is a U3 not G3.

Nov 13, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
I've been having a look on the cowon site and the G3, '5' and U2 all look really good. I'll have to look at some reviews for these models to see which one would suit me more. Also, the sound of a new U3 sounds good too.... maybe I should wait!
smily_headphones1.gif

U3 has a color screen and it can playback FLAC (a lossless format), and it can playback mpeg4 videos. However, those two formats will take up a lot of space, and if your primary goal is to listen to music, I do think the premium you pay for those two features are kinda not needed. You really need like a 30G ~ 60G to make use of the two formats. Thus, I still recommand you G3 because it has the longest battery life. The U2 is the smallest among the 3, but it uses the built-in battery, and it will need to be replaced in a few years. The Cowon i5 is using 1 AAA battery, and it offers about 18 ~ 20 hours of music play, which is about half of what G3 can do.

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #11 of 23
yea your right it is a U3, I was in a hurry, on my way out the door at a friends house and trying to post sorry my mistake. Thanks

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 23
I do like the look of the iAudio i5, but like you say the battery life is only half as long, which probably makes the G3 the one to go for... can't go too wrong with any of them really I guess!

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 23
I do like the look of the iAudio i5, but like you say the battery life is only half as long, which probably makes the G3 the one to go for... can't go too wrong with any of them really I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back