19j6 tube pcb?
Dec 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

langmad

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I have most of the components now for an original version of the 19J6 tube design. Unfortunately I have almost no previous experience in diy electronics, although I am able to solder. I was thinking that a PCB would be preferable to trying to build a point to point version. Does anyone know if such a PCB exists?
Seasons wishes
Derick

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hi Guys,
I have most of the components now for an original version of the 19J6 tube design. Unfortunately I have almost no previous experience in diy electronics, although I am able to solder. I was thinking that a PCB would be preferable to trying to build a point to point version. Does anyone know if such a PCB exists?
Seasons wishes
Derick

http://www.diyforums.org/SSMH/SSMHboard.php

We quit manufacturing them because there aren't enough 19J6 tubes left in the world to support a major manufacturing run of PCB's.  However, a one off here and there might not be unreasonable.  OSH Park might be a good place to try for single runs or a few more.  Rough numbers, it looks like ~$60 ($5/sq-in) might get you a single PCB.  (You can see why PCB's need to be manufactured in the hundreds to be economical - but as stated, there aren't that many 19J6 tubes left in the world.)

If you're still interested after seeing that cost, I'll talk to Dsavitsk to see if he would agree to my posting the Gerbers.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi Tomb,
Thanks for the offer but that price would make the Starving Student hungry for years!!!!!
I will have to consider one of the other valve designs.
Seasons greetings
Derick

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 8
  Hi Tomb,
Thanks for the offer but that price would make the Starving Student hungry for years!!!!!
I will have to consider one of the other valve designs.
Seasons greetings
Derick

Yeah, I'm not sure people understand when I tell them it's not worth a manufacturing run of the PCB's because there's not enough tubes.  If you produce a few hundred, the price per PCB is quite low.  We sold them for $10 ea., but that was after ordering 200.  I had something a bit over 400 tubes at the time.  So considering 2 tubes per PCB/kit with some testing bad, etc. - it was a close call, business-wise.

Goodness - I didn't see Dsavitsk's post - DO THAT!
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 8
  Or you know.....point to point methods always work, and then you can just skip the PCB all together. 

On the other hand, it's always worth asking.  PCB circuit implementations are probably more optimum, if they can be had for a reasonable cost.  They're certainly easier to build - no doubt, whatsoever.  Which is why it's worth asking.  In this case, there is a tremendous legacy that increases the chance that something else might be available - especially if someone has an extra PCB lying around.

Otherwise - of course - follow Pete Millett's original design that's been available from the beginning:
http://www.pmillett.com/starving.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back