1980's Sony Integrated mods
Dec 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

HeyWaj10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Joining in for the first time after being a reader for a while.  I'm entering into the headphone world, and had a quick question as to possible modifications I may be able to make to the amp I'm using for headphone output.  I have a ~80's Sony TA-AX500 integrated stereo amplifier that I've used for years to power some Pioneer HPM-60s.  It has worked very well, however I was curious what possible mods I could make to it in order to improve headphone sound.

As for the other equipment I have, everything is running from a Dell Studio Slim PC with Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.  Sound card has HDMI out, Digital Coaxial out, USB.  I don't have a DAC yet, but will be looking to get a NuForce uDac-2, and running that into my sony amp.  Headphones wise, I currently only have *don't cry* Bose IE2's, which serve their purpose at work, but will be soon stopping by Moon Audio here in NC to audition various cans to try and find the best sound for my tastes.

Music I listen to is lossless via iTunes (for now), consisting mostly of hard rock, metal, progressive metal, and symphonic metal.  Some jazz, some orchestral (movie soundtracks mostly) and other stuff.

Let me know if more information is needed, and I appreciate the help!

-Scott

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 2
You can find the manual for it here.

Since it is pushing 30, you might want to have a tech replace the filter capacitors/electrolytics in the power supply.  Those only live so long and new ones will clean up the power and protect the rest of the innards.

If there are voltage dropping resistors for the headphone jack (the power usually comes from the amp section), I suppose you could put in new ones.  Maybe try some boutique resistors from Michael Percy Audio.  Couldn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back