1964-D vs 1964-T
Apr 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

juantendo8

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I was wondering whether anyone could clarify if the double or triple driver version of the 1964 ears would perform better for classical music, specifically piano and orchestra. I would rather not pay extra, but if the triples had a considerable advantage over the doubles, I would definitely take the hit. Also, if there are any equally priced customs that can match or better the classical performance of the 1964s, I would greatly appreciate it if you could mention them. So please help me out by telling me what you think between these two superb customs. I would greatly appreciate it. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 10
Well, that is reassuring for my wallet. Thank you for your heartening reply. I only have two more questions for you guys. I'm sorry for the trouble but I want to make sure my investment is one that I'll be very happy with.

1. Is there any significant (or not) improvement from the singles to the doubles in these three areas: accuracy, separation, detail? (I am a very active listener and "easy listening" is not something I do often.)

2. If I did happen to venture very occasionally into other genres such as classic rock, would the doubles be a significant improvement over the singles?

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Well, that is reassuring for my wallet. Thank you for your heartening reply. I only have two more questions for you guys. I'm sorry for the trouble but I want to make sure my investment is one that I'll be very happy with.

1. Is there any significant (or not) improvement from the singles to the doubles in these three areas: accuracy, separation, detail? (I am a very active listener and "easy listening" is not something I do often.)

2. If I did happen to venture very occasionally into other genres such as classic rock, would the doubles be a significant improvement over the singles?

Keep in mind that most people don't know what they are talking about when it comes to recommending earphones for classical music. The first poster offering advice is a case in point. Mahler, for example, is not going to sound very good with the top and bottom of the frequency spectrum rolled-off. It's a complete joke to think that classical music is less of a test of the abilities of one's earphones than classic rock. If you really listen carefully to music, don't buy something that can't handle the entire range. For BA-transducers, that often means more than one transducer is needed. At least go with the doubles, but probably you'll want the triples. If you get the triples, you'll know you got the most accurate sound 1964 Ears offers. With the duals, you'll second guess yourself.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you for your post Kunlun. You've given me a lot to think about. I originally posted that I was willing to shell out for the triples so if it truly is the most accurate of the bunch I think I will have to spend the extra $$$ to ease my conscience. As an analytical listener, I naturally default to a full, neutral sound spectrum so that every detail in the recording can be captured accurately.

The only question that I believe is left to ask myself is whether I should let my gut feeling or my wallet make the final decision. At this point in time my gut feeling is winning and it is saying that the triples are the way to go.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 10
There are many other custom IEM options in a similar price range as the 1964 stuff, but the issue is the lack of reviews on here.  You can see my custom IEM thread here.  There are some reviews of the Minerva Mi-3 and Mi-1 for example and I will be reviewing some $500ish custom IEMs, one of which is the Thousand Sound TS842 with a dynamic low driver and the same BA as is used in the ER4 for mids/treble.  I do know it has very good treble extension and very deep bass!  And there is the Spiral Ear 2-way for a reasonable price.

One of the attributes I think helps with the reproduction of classical music, even more so than full frequency response is how spacious/laid back the presentation is. Personally, if something is too mid forward it sounds like it is compressing the orchestra.  An example of this is the EM3 Pro is very mid-forward and I prefer the Fabs with classical (and the same thing with the LCD-2 vs the Tesla T1) even though there is other music that sounds better on the EM3 Pro.

Just thought I would add my 0.02.  
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 10
That may be true as I do not venture into this specific genre very often but my recommendation was based off of 1964's email reply when I asked them for the differences between their headphones. They feel that the singles provide the best money for classical music, so why deny the developers of such claim when they could very well be recommending their flagship IEMs for profit. 

Quote:
 If you get the triples, you'll know you got the most accurate sound 1964 Ears offers

This is not necessarily true especially when it comes to BA's. A dedicated driver for the low end does not always translate to a much more accurate sound. Sometimes some IEMs are better off without the additional driver. 
Quote:
Keep in mind that most people don't know what they are talking about when it comes to recommending earphones for classical music. The first poster offering advice is a case in point. Mahler, for example, is not going to sound very good with the top and bottom of the frequency spectrum rolled-off. It's a complete joke to think that classical music is less of a test of the abilities of one's earphones than classic rock. If you really listen carefully to music, don't buy something that can't handle the entire range. For BA-transducers, that often means more than one transducer is needed. At least go with the doubles, but probably you'll want the triples. If you get the triples, you'll know you got the most accurate sound 1964 Ears offers. With the duals, you'll second guess yourself.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 10

I'm not an expert here Kunlun, but if juan wants the MOST analytical sound then he might look in to a unit that also has a mid driver.  It may be that the Trips are tuned so that the lack of a physical mid driver may not matter, but personally i would look into comparisons between the 1964's and others that actually have a mid driver (however without a mid bump like the Westones have).  Don't know if that's even possible except from UM and JHA...

Quote:

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 10
I would honestly recommend the EarSonics EM3-Pro or the JH-13-PRO for classical. Soundstage and midrange as well as accuracy are all important factors in classical, and I think these two IEMs nail those down very well. I suspect the EM3-Pro will have a warmer signature than the JH-13-Pro, which can be good if you like a warmer signature. However, if you want a more neutral and colder signature, go with the JH-13. I have not heard any of the 1964 IEMs so I cannot comment on them.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank you all for your comments. I think I can safely say that detail and accuracy are my most important features for classical music and that I would prefer an analytical and colder tone as opposed to a warmer veil. I don't want any details of the original recording to be altered or left out. I know there are many superb customs out there but alas, I don't think I can stretch my budget any higher than the cost for the 1964-Ts. Even with this restriction, there is a shocking amount of customs out there. I had never even heard of the Minervas before.  I was willing to make the jump and commit to the 1964s but I may just wait until some more reviews or information is out there. The world of customs is quite a bit more obscure than that of universals. I will be following your thread average_joe. Further input would still be greatly appreciated. Just remember that I cannot afford anything $400+ (although I wish i could afford JH-13s
frown.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back