18awg why I failed a mini to mini?
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pulse14

100+ Head-Fier
So on my first mini to mini attempt i got the litz down pat, got my solders good, but the 18 awg wire seemed a little thick...so i just tried getting the screw on housing on anyway, and it went with some force. Upon testing, i immediatly noticed the complete loss of a channel (varied between l and r). Tried a few jiigles and gentle shakes/tugs, but to no avail. Do i tried unscrewing the housing and wabam, perfect! so now both ends are unscrewed and have electral tape covering the solders and about 1" of heatshrink from the plug to the end of the now useless housing. So my question (sorry to bore you) is did i fail just because i pushed the 22-24awg typical limit of minis? Oh, i got the plug from radioshack (yeah, whatever, i was there and thought "ooo, i bet making a wire wouldnt be that hard").

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Most likely at least one of your channels was shorting to the housing when you forced it on, which would make it drop out as you are describing. For interconnects like that I personally prefer much smaller wire, in the 24awg range, because it's much easier to make a sound connection in those small spaces.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 6
People in the DIY forum might be more able to help you. Your thread will get more views.
You prolly squeeze it all in the connector and pins are touching.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 6
18awg is overkill. You'll find it tough to fit into 99% of plugs.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 6
If you want to stick with 18, try hotglue to prevent shorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back