~$175 IEMs?
Mar 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Agony

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good set of IEMs around the $175 price range. I just returned a bad set of TF10s and I'm wanting to know if I can get better for my preferences. Here are my criteria:

1. Must have decent bass accuracy and impact.
2. Refined highs.
3. Recessed, but decently detailed mids, or a U-shaped sound sig.
4. Must look nice, I'll be wearing them out in school a lot.
5. Found on Amazon at $175, give or take $25.

I'll be mainly listening to alternative rock and post-hardcore metal, but I ocasionally listen to dubstep, drum and bass, and J-Pop.

A couple options I've been considering are the Triple.fi 10, E2C, and a couple Audio Technica IEMs. Thanks in advance.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 7
TF10s, from what I've heard, fit the criteria. I might buy them again after returning a pair that blew out before it was delivered. I don't find them uncomfortable at all; they gave me a wonderful seal and nice fit. I'm waiting on my return to be credited on Amazon so I can maybe repurchase them, or look elsewhere.

So any other alternatives? And the EX600 you mentioned; how does it compare with the TF10?

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
TF10s, from what I've heard, fit the criteria. I might buy them again after returning a pair that blew out before it was delivered. I don't find them uncomfortable at all; they gave me a wonderful seal and nice fit. I'm waiting on my return to be credited on Amazon so I can maybe repurchase them, or look elsewhere.
So any other alternatives? And the EX600 you mentioned; how does it compare with the TF10?

EX600's sound good, but I don't think they are what you're looking for.  They are neutral-ish to my ears not U shaped, they protruded a lot from the ear and won't isolate well if you're wearing them around school.  And if there is one criticism I have on their sound its that the the highs can be a fatiguing/harsh (though it does get better after time and burn in). 

In that price range I do not have any personal experience with IEMs that meet your criteria so rather than parrot the normal recommendations I'll leave that to someone with first-hand knowledge.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 7
TF10 fits your criteria, and if you would like to stretch the budget a bit W3..

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
EX600's sound good, but I don't think they are what you're looking for.  They are neutral-ish to my ears not U shaped, they protruded a lot from the ear and won't isolate well if you're wearing them around school.  And if there is one criticism I have on their sound its that the the highs can be a fatiguing/harsh (though it does get better after time and burn in). 

In that price range I do not have any personal experience with IEMs that meet your criteria so rather than parrot the normal recommendations I'll leave that to someone with first-hand knowledge.

The EX600 is most likely not what you are looking for and carries a much different sound signature. I too have an excellent fit with the TF10 and actually find them to be quite comfy. My biggest concern with the EX600 is how difficult it is to get a good fit. When I had them, I had to readjust them at least once every couple minutes. In addition, the "memory cord" doesn't exactly retain memory very well. For what you are looking for, I'd certainly recommend the TF10. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back