$17.50 for a new Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC?
Oct 1, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 68
It's a steal @ $18, thats cheaper then a pizza delivered, makes me wonder if I want a second one. FWIW Monster Cable according to the manual state that they contracted several people to build the DAC, Peter Madnick Ex VP & chief engineer of Audio Alchemy (Producers of the DAC in the box) Demian Martin Co-Founder and engineer of Spectral Audio, and Richard Marsh (says he is responsible for the development of the servo-dc feedback in power amplifiers)

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 68
Note to self: RTFM
redface.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 68
haah, we could also have a group buy of 53 black 30gb videopods or 25 white ones.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz
Azure.... these originally sold for $299.... FWIW.... I beleive Monster hired away one of Audio Alchemy's engineers to design this DAC...

Uh...who cares what they originally sold for? The C555ES originally sold for $1700. That doesn't mean that everybody's going to go crazy over them if they can pick one up for only a few hundred dollars. Plus, if these can be found on eBay for ~$50, then what's the point of bringing up the original $299 price point as a way to show what kind of deal this is?

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Uh...who cares what they originally sold for? The C555ES originally sold for $1700. That doesn't mean that everybody's going to go crazy over them if they can pick one up for only a few hundred dollars. Plus, if these can be found on eBay for ~$50, then what's the point of bringing up the original $299 price point as a way to show what kind of deal this is?

Apparently you missed that I said FWIW.... your post thought that it might not be any good because it was only $18.... seems kind of like the same thing only in the other direction...

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

By the same token... just because its inexpensive does not mean it performs poorly.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueiz
Apparently you missed that I said FWIW

Sorry, I missed that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
By the same token... just because its inexpensive does not mean it performs poorly.

Of course. My point is don't judge a product's sound quality based on its MSRP. It's also wise not to judge a product based on price period, but I believe that a price does generally give you a certain sonic range that the product will most likely perform in.

Oct 1, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
eek.gif
If I didn't already buy one for $50 delivered I would be all over this.

I purchased one myself on ebay for $35.00 + $15.00 shipping. Did a "Buy It Now" on Wednesday and it already arrived on Friday. Haven't open it yet. Been trying to decide whether to use coax or Toslink. Will using a mint condition Pioneer DV-414 as the transport.

I discovered the link to the lot sale after I did the purchase on ebay. The OP was originally done in jest....I don't have the space for 350 boxes (and they're quite large) nor do I think there're 350 buyers out there for these DAC....even at such of a bargain price. However, I will call on Monday to see how much is shipping for the lot.

I think I will do a separate thread on the performance of the 203.2.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #26 of 68
Quote:

Sorry, I missed that!

Of course. My point is don't judge a product's sound quality based on its MSRP. It's also wise not to judge a product based on price period, but I believe that a price does generally give you a certain sonic range that the product will most likely perform in.

Agreed..... Back in 1998, it sold for $299... must have been some fairly good components in there.... that's all I was trying to convey... I have one, and I think it performs admirably....

P.S. Monster did a lousy job of marketing this DAC.... but , it got some great reviews at the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back