160GB drive in 5G/5.5G iPod
Dec 12, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by muski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So given today's disappointed iPod announcement I am trying to decide between a 160GB 6G iPod or getting a 5.5G iMod and upgrading the hard disk. I would need at least 160GB, so I am wondering if the Toshiba 160GB disk mentioned above can be used. (There is now even a Toshiba PATA 240GB drive (MK1231GAL 1.8-inch Hard Disk Drive)

Does anybody know if this new 240GB is compatible with 6G and/or 5.5G iPods ?

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #62 of 83
Hi there,

I have a 5.5G 80GB iPod Video (MA448LL) and my hard drive (MK8010GAH) seems to be dying; (RWA iMod actually).
My computer system is WinXP Pro with the latest iTunes (v8.0.2.20) installed.

I'm thinking of buying the 100GB hard drive (MK1011GAH) as a replacement, and sending it to Vinnie to put it in.
This page says that it is compatible with the iPod:
100GB Hard Drive for iPod (MK1011GAH): RapidRepair

I'm wondering:

1) After I have the new hard drive properly put in, do I need to use WinXP or some software to partition and format it first,
or just use iTunes to "Restore" it?
I noticed that there is a small first partition with about 126 MB of unallocated space in my current 80GB drive, with the rest in FAT32 format.

2) Will my iPod and iTunes be able to recognize the full 100GB (probably slightly less than that),
or mistook it for a 80GB drive, rendering the additional space unusable?
(I remember reading on some online forum about someone encountering such a problem.)

Vinnie suggested that I ask RapidRepair to make sure, and I have emailed them.

Meanwhile, I would be glad to hear from anyone who had successfully done it themselves on their iPods, and know the answers.

Thanks very much!

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #63 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SidCityMeis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) After I have the new hard drive properly put in, do I need to use WinXP or some software to partition and format it first,
or just use iTunes to "Restore" it?
I noticed that there is a small first partition with about 126 MB of unallocated space in my current 80GB drive, with the rest in FAT32 format.

Restoring with iTunes should be sufficient. It knows how to set up the drive in the peculiar partition scheme.

Quote:

2) Will my iPod and iTunes be able to recognize the full 100GB (probably slightly less than that),
or mistook it for a 80GB drive, rendering the additional space unusable?

Of course the larger space will be recognized and usable. Otherwise why would we make this upgrade?

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #64 of 83
That's a shame
frown.gif
. Would have been nice to upgrade.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #65 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody know if this new 240GB is compatible with 6G and/or 5.5G iPods ?

The new Toshiba drive is compatible with the 5G and 5.5G ipods only as of now.

See: HardDriveReplacement < Main < TWiki

And yes they will work with Rockbox.
ksc75smile.gif

They are now available for pre-order from Rapidrepair.com. They have tested one already and have confirmation that they work in the 5G and 5.5G ipods.

They're going for $294.99...then you can have a 240GB iMod
bigsmile_face.gif

According to their customer service they had over 200 requests to be notified by email when they became available.

They will be shipping them around 3/1/09.

Hope this helps
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #68 of 83
Mine is Reserved .
Great.
excepted the price !
poor wallet.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #71 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new drive only works with the 80gb right? I have the 30gb, so are their any options for an upgrade? If not I'll stick with my 120gb classic.

it works too, but you'll probably need a bigger back plate.

Feb 6, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new drive only works with the 80gb right? I have the 30gb, so are their any options for an upgrade? If not I'll stick with my 120gb classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it works too, but you'll probably need a bigger back plate.

It'll work with the 30GB, but as direcow stated you'll need a bigger backplate, which they sell and have as an option on the order page for the drive. You can also get a new front cover as well.

I just pre-ordered the drive alone. Can't wait to get it and send my iMod off to Vinnie to get supersized!!! Playing FLAC files, I have had to eliminate albums to free up space when I buy new ones...this will solve that problem...my wallet on the other hand there is no help for
frown.gif
wink_face.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #73 of 83
I believe the 160GB Classic Drive will work in the 5/5.5G iPods. My logic/reasoning behind this.
80GB Classic drive works in 160GB iPod, 80GB Classic drive works in 5.5G iPod, therefore the 160GB classic drive should work in the both. I will test my theory soon. If it works then I will go that route and save some $$$.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #75 of 83
Hi All,

I received my 240GB Toshiba drive today from Rapid Repair. Bad timing since Vinnie had just sent me my iMod a few days ago. After get my iMod/ALO dock burned in, I will send the iMod back to Vinnie to have the 240gig drive installed. I really need the space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back