160GB drive in 5G/5.5G iPod
Oct 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not. But I think it's not only because of the drive but the battery thickness too. I know it is possible to get I think it's a 100 or 120GB drive that'll work with the gen 5.5 ipods though. Just be carefull if you have to replace your mainboard because the gen 5 boards will NOT work in the gen 5.5 ipods. Trust me.

Arent the 5th gen and 5.5gen boards the same though?

I was looking on ebay for another logic board and was told by the sellers that the 5.5 and 5g ipod logic boards are identical?

can anyone clarify this?

thanks

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by barqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arent the 5th gen and 5.5gen boards the same though?

I was looking on ebay for another logic board and was told by the sellers that the 5.5 and 5g ipod logic boards are identical?

can anyone clarify this?

thanks

Not at all. They look identical, but the difference is in the fact that the 30gb ipods had I think it was 32 megs of memory on board. The 60/80 gig gen 5.5 boards had 64 megs of memory. The only way to really tell is by the color of the sticker on the board. The 5g board has a white sticker, and the 5.5g board has a yellow sticker. Vinnie verified it when he was trying to do the imod on mine. It refused to restore after he installed it. Hell, not even apple gives them different part #'s. (Apple geniuses my ass) I had to go and find out myself when the line out on my 5.5g went bad. WHOA BOY! Talk about massive head trauma. As a result, i have a logic board for a 5g ipod if you're interested. shoot me a PM.

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Not at all. They look identical, but the difference is in the fact that the 30gb ipods had I think it was 32 megs of memory on board. The 60/80 gig gen 5.5 boards had 64 megs of memory. The only way to really tell is by the color of the sticker on the board. The 5g board has a white sticker, and the 5.5g board has a yellow sticker. Vinnie verified it when he was trying to do the imod on mine. It refused to restore after he installed it. Hell, not even apple gives them different part #'s. (Apple geniuses my ass) I had to go and find out myself when the line out on my 5.5g went bad. WHOA BOY! Talk about massive head trauma. As a result, i have a logic board for a 5g ipod if you're interested. shoot me a PM.

Thanks for that~!

so basically the 5.5 logic boards would run faster (being that it has 64mb of memory) vs the 32mb 5th gen logic board?

Can the 32mb logic board still take on a 80gb hard drive though?

If not, this is sad news, I was told by an ebay seller their interchangable, so I went ahead and bought it (5th gen logic board) doh.

Lastly, can anyone confirm a 80gb harddrive from an ipod classic, fits the ipod video 5 or 5.5 gen? Model: HS081HA

like this one:

IPOD 80GB CLASSIC HARD DRIVE 1.8" W/ WARRANTY HS081HA - eBay (item 370089930302 end time Oct-24-08 16:43:33 PDT)

Again some sellers claim it works, but
confused_face(1).gif

thanks!

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Thanks for that~!
so basically the 5.5 logic boards would run faster (being that it has 64mb of memory) vs the 32mb 5th gen logic board?

No. More ram does not equal more speed.

Quote:

Can the 32mb logic board still take on a 80gb hard drive though?

No. They address different sectors on the hard drives. Again, i found this out that hard way. And Vinnie from RWA can confirm.

Quote:

If not, this is sad news, I was told by an ebay seller their interchangable, so I went ahead and bought it (5th gen logic board) doh.

eBay sellers are full of crap. They haven't actually tried to make the swap before. Try to return the board.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #51 of 83
Quote:

No. More ram does not equal more speed.

No. They address different sectors on the hard drives. Again, i found this out that hard way. And Vinnie from RWA can confirm.

eBay sellers are full of crap. They haven't actually tried to make the swap before. Try to return the board.

When you say you found this out the hard way, do you mean it damaged your existing HD? or did it simply not work with the 5th gen logic board.

thanks for your time

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #52 of 83
I have a 5g imod (was sold as a 5.5g by someone on ebay who claimed not to know better, they sent it straight to Vinnie) with an 80gb drive, and have had no problems yet. I have not got 30gb of music on it though, which could be why! Certainly no damage done...

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

When you say you found this out the hard way, do you mean it damaged your existing HD? or did it simply not work with the 5th gen logic board.

It simply wouldn't work. Part of what Vinnie does is run the restore function via itunes to make sure that everything's kosher after working his magic. Because it wasn't the right logicboard/drive combo, they wouldn't sync and talk to each other. So it would only boot to an error screen. After the right logic board was obtained, it worked just fine.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #55 of 83
I thought about changing the logic board of my Classic 6th gen 160 to a 5.5 logic board, but if we can’t get the 160GB HD into a 5.5 gen iPod, obviously we can’t do what I’m thinking of.

I’m just desperate with my 6 th gen SQ. I can’t stand it anymore, even using a Corda 2Move and a ALO Cryo Dock trying to make it sound better. Only if I was aware of this DAC difference between them before buying it, I’d have gone for a 5.5 gen and sent it to Vinnie. Now I can’t even mod my iPod.

Oh, And both RWA and ALO have sold out their last ready iMods.
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
m just desperate with my 6 th gen SQ. I can’t stand it anymore, even using a Corda 2Move and a ALO Cryo Dock trying to make it sound better..
frown.gif

What's wrong with the SQ? Too bright? Too dark?

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the SQ? Too bright? Too dark?

I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain it correctly, because I'm not a native english speaker, but even listening to Apple Lossless songs, it sounds far, with very untight bass, and muddy trebles. That doesn't happen with mp3 songs, though. I found that vey strange with my iPod Classic.

my 4th gen Photo sounds a lot better, but its hd size won't be able to carry around many lossless songs.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #58 of 83
I just found the problem
biggrin.gif
Sound Check was on. Now it sounds a lot better from ym Lossless files, but still far away from ideal.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #59 of 83
Nothing worth an RWA Imod ,Pvcaps and ALO Lod....

and ALAC or AIFF are your best friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back