1500! Woot! Thank you, Head-Fi!
Nov 16, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
synaesthetic's a girl? sorry, syn... OK, I sound totally sexist now. Time to make up for it...Kirosia's a boy?

synaesthetic is a girl, although I wouldn't have a way to check.

Kiro is a boy on the weekends and holidays.

Quote:

Most of my student abuse comes from writing snide comments in their assignments. And raising difficult philosophical issues in class. What's a gene? How do we apportion causality between genes and environment? Does neuroscience entail substance monism? Go go go!

I make fart jokes.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

LOL. Your class must be a hit. I give free coffee to attractive females.

my tutorial is full of shy people. Not fun. I'm talking most of the time. I actually prefer more interactive tutorials than me regurgitating old material.

like seminars!

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #34 of 51
Do you get to teach seminars? I took over my supervisor's graduate class once, and that was less interesting than I thought, actually. They didn't seem to say much. And the girls were less pretty than first year.

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Do you get to teach seminars? I took over my supervisor's graduate class once, and that was less interesting than I thought, actually. They didn't seem to say much. And the girls were less pretty than first year.

nope you need to have phD to conduct seminars unfortunately. But I would like to have seminar-like environment rather than standing up and lecturing.

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

I'm pretty comfy with both, I think. When I'm in final year, I'm gonna make my students call me Almost-Dr. Jong.

nice. Thinking of doing anything after PhD?

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Post-doc, I guess. Either Cambridge or British Columbia. Was going to do PhD at Cambridge, but many factors intervened.

cash?

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #40 of 51
Well, I didn't get the Gates Trust (bet it's cos I'm a Mac fanboy...), but the lab offered me a scholarship. But I had to wait till next year to start. Then, majorly, there's the gf issue. Long distance didn't seem like a good idea.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Then, majorly, there's the gf issue. Long distance didn't seem like a good idea.

Meh, my gf and I have been doing a four-month long distance relationship right now; we already have two years and then some under our belts. It's really hard the first month or so, but then you two should ease into the realization and acceptance of it, and just call one another once a week or so to check up on each other. My gf is very independant, so she's not like my two friends; they call each other every night!

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #43 of 51
Congratulations
icon10.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #44 of 51
Well done!
Now on to the next milestone...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back