$1500 for a complete setup. What would you get?
Nov 14, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go...
Amplifier: Stax SRM-1/MK2 Pro ($4-500)
Headphone: Stax SR-404 ($400)
DAC: $500 one, but don't know the candidates
Cables: Signal Cable Silver Resolution ($100)

Is that all used prices?

What dac would help the 404s the most?

Good option on the benchmark and the 650s but I am not really inclined towards the 650s. If I go dynamic it will probably be the Ultrasone 900 Pro.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Paradisea3 brand new should be around $621 (including shipping). I think Raffy added an extra 100 by accident. You should be able to get a used Paradisea+ for a lot cheaper (<$500). I know some people who might be selling soon if you're interested. And yes, it is worth it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did add $100 too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that all used prices?

What dac would help the 404s the most?

New price for the SR-404 and Silver Resolution. But used price for the SRM-1/MK2 Pro, since it went out of production some 15 years ago.
Really don't know about DAC though, since both my DAC's were $2,000++

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #19 of 30
I noticed you have a modded X-Fi. Are you into DIY? If so, you could build the KGSS or Gilmore's first tube design and end up with a good estat amp. Also maybe you could look into building a DAC or modifying yours. DIY is definitely the way to go to stretch your budget.

Also, have ESP950s really hit $500?

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #20 of 30
I like buying modded equipment but have never diyed anything myself. I don't mind paying someone to though.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

I am looking towards next month and my Christmas present to myself. I love Stax but am open to anything. Right now, I use my PC as a source. I play a lot of games but music is very important to me. I can get an optical out X-FI to feed a dac but was thinking more along the lines of an Ultrasone ALO 780 or 900 PRO, Head Direct EF1 combo.

I would really love to try some Sigmas and an SRD-7 and something like a Pop Pulse T40i but doubt that I can find another pair in time.

Previously, I had some normal bias Lambdas and a SRD-7 and loved it but was possibly missing just a bit of presence/weight/slam which I think the Ultrasones might bring.

Anyway, just kicking ideas around obviously. Any new directions or experiences are welcome and appreciated.

Space

You never should have sold the SQ-84.
biggrin.gif

I would get a used Singlepower PPX3 SLAM $600 ... or another used SQ-84 $600.

I would feed the amp with a modded dac like the Zap Filter modded Zhalou .... or try an Ori Modded Zhalou v4.1 .... both are around $350-450 used. A used Opus/ Ballsie would be another good choice for around the same price.

I would get a good coax digital cable for the dac like the extremely good, but reasonably priced, Enigma Audio coax he sells for around $60-75; depending on length. I find a good digital cable, despite what naysayers claim, makes a noticeable positive difference.

I would spend the last amount on the headphone of my choice. I personally love the Alessandro MS2i using modded Senn 19545 pads .... with either of the amps I mentioned.

If you had a little cash left over I would get a few tubes; especially for a SQ-84. I have some inexpensive tubes($5 each) I found that sub for the 6v6 that kill my nos GE 6v6gt grayplates.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You never should have sold the SQ-84.
biggrin.gif

I would get a used Singlepower PPX3 SLAM $600 ... or another used SQ-84 $600.

I would feed the amp with a modded dac like the Zap Filter modded Zhalou .... or try an Ori Modded Zhalou v4.1 .... both are around $350-450 used. A used Opus/ Ballsie would be another good choice for around the same price.

I would get a good coax digital cable for the dac like the extremely good, but reasonably priced, Enigma Audio coax he sells for around $60-75; depending on length. I find a good digital cable, despite what naysayers claim, makes a noticeable positive difference.

I would spend the last amount on the headphone of my choice. I personally love the Alessandro MS2i using modded Senn 19545 pads .... with either of the amps I mentioned.

If you had a little cash left over I would get a few tubes; especially for a SQ-84. I have some inexpensive tubes($5 each) I found that sub for the 6v6 that kill my nos GE 6v6gt grayplates.

You are right about the SQ. What a beast.

I have agreed to buy a Lambda Normal and SRD-7 for a very reasonable price. I spoke with my wife and she basically said either get open headphones or I whack you with this vacuum cleaner lol.

I think that I will get a Pop pulse amp and a Oritek dac down the road.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #24 of 30
Got the Lambdas. Probably getting a Pop Pulse T40i hybrid amp to power the SRD-7. Thinking of dacs now. Probably the Oritek.

Oh! I am also thinking about getting a fast subwoofer for gaming impact. Just for fun! Maybe one of those little Totem subs. They are speedy.

Link to Pop Pulse. Great little package.

Audiomagus - high end not high priced audio products

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #25 of 30
How about Pico + ESW10?
Can double as a portable rig too, and sounds pretty damn good.

Nov 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Pico + ESW10?
Can double as a portable rig too, and sounds pretty damn good.

No use for a portable. That and I must have open or my wife will kill me. Besides, the Stax were $200 and I know that I love them. Next purchase is a good dac and then a sub.

Thanks though.
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #27 of 30
Oops, didn't see you already made a purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you buy things used, you'll get a lot better bang for your buck. I'd get:

a used Benchmark DAC1 (non-usb) ~ $750
a used HD650 ~ $250
a Woo Audio 3 ~$470 OR a used Cayin HA-1A ~$450-500

The brighter, detailed signature of the Benchmark is complimented nicely with the darker HD650 and lovely tube amp. What you get is a very nice sound, I am enjoying it right now. There are tons of possibilities for DACs (Benchmark, Apogee, Lavry, PS Audio, NorthStar). I personally really like how the slightly bright Benchmark livens up the HD650.

This is relatively close to what I was going to suggest.

My suggestion coming into this thread was going to be

Channel islands DAC + PSU (could just as easily be a used benchmark)
HD650 (new is like 280 nowadays)
Darkvoice 332 (or woo audio)

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Got the Lambdas.

Congratulations!
o2smile.gif

Quite sure you will be well pleased with the SR-Lambda and SRD-7, as long as you put a nice speaker amplifier behind it. And for just $200 its a really nice score.

Enjoy!

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
o2smile.gif

Quite sure you will be well pleased with the SR-Lambda and SRD-7, as long as you put a nice speaker amplifier behind it. And for just $200 its a really nice score.

Enjoy!

$300 for both actually. $200 was for just the lambdas.

The amp I got should be fine but may be a problem if the srd-7 and stax = a high sensitivity speaker. The Pop Pulse has a disclaimer for introducing a bit of noise in the high frequency with sensitive speakers. If so, it will be perfect for my 550s which need an amp anyway. I will just have to get another amp lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back