$150 budget. Earphones broke a day before 11/11.
Nov 10, 2023 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sound N00b

Head-Fier
Wasn't planning on buying new IEM's but my current pair broke and 11/11 would be the day to replace them.
My budget is $150. I was thinking of trying out a wireless set this time but it's not a requirement. Must be comftorble and have a replaceable cable though.

Music I listen to:
I listen to a really wide range of music so I need a jack of all trades. I listen to everything from inabakumori (vocaloid), king gnu (j pop?), led zeppelin, black sabbath, and portugal the man.

My previous earphones have included blon 03's, thieaudio legacy 03's, moondrop arias (as mentioned before) and my current headphones are akg k712 pros.
Not really knowledgeable at describing sound so forgive the poor comparison.

Preferred sound:
My arias were my favorite earphones I have tried on. The blon 03's were a whole ton of fun and I appreciated the wildness which came from it's very v (m?) shaped sound signature but found that the bass bled into the mids creating a bloated feeling. The bass was plentiful but it was my boomy when I prefer tighter and percussive.
The arias on the other hand felt more professional while still keeping things fun. No part of the frequency range really felt muted but when a song put emphasis on things like high vocal notes or a bass drop it still felt like it hit. I am looking for a fun sound signature which is not neutral but doesn't do poorly in one part of the frequency range to make another part look better.

Edit: What do people think of the galaxy buds pro 2? Bit more plain than the other sets being recommended but it seems really convenient and according to some people sounds excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi all,

I really could use some advice.
I want to buy a, for me expensive, IEM.
I read a lot of reviews but don’t know what to buy.
I have narrowed it down to three IEM’s, the Etymotic ER3XR, the Sure Aonic 4 or the Moondrop Blessing 3.
Which one would you advice and why?
Thanks.
Pascal

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 6
I have the Etymotic ER3XR and while I like them, be aware that they have a wide but flat soundstage -- like hearing through a studio control-room window -- and they are more analytical than exciting.

I used to have Shure SE535. One day I was comparing them to my other IEMs and they just started to sound very metallic, the stereotypical balanced-armature timbre. I don't know how the Aonic series compares or if they are just the SE series with a new name.

The Moondrops get recommended a lot, haven't heard them.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Difficult choice, all three get (mostly) very good reviews. Most of my IEM’s are chi-fi so that’s why I included the Etymotic and Shure. Lately it seems that to much treble is bothering me, bass not so. For that reason I thought the analytic Etymotics have flat treble, less v-shape. That is also the reason I was looking at Shure. But yes, the positive things I hear about the blessing 3 make it difficult. I was happy that after long consideration I choose to buy a IEM and not a headphone (Fiio FT3 or FT5) and now other choices arise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back