~$150 Amp that sounds great with the hd580?
Feb 28, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mynameispaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gonna derail the post a bit.
redface.gif

I too have been looking to amp the HD 580, and the LD2++ is at the top of my list. But two concerns:
1) I've read that several of them ship defective. This is an obvious pain considering it's shipped from China to the States.
2) This thing runs hot. I'd like to sleep with my headphones on, and if I get a knee-jerk reaction due to a bad dream and topple the LD2++, can my apartment ablaze? I suppose a more succinct way to put this is is the LD2++ a fire hazard?
Can anyone confirm or deny?

the LD 2 series is well known for running very hot. could it be a fire hazard - well potentially any tube amp can be one but with excessive heat it seems to me it might be even a greater potential hazard (one could argue any piece of electronics could be too, but tube amps are riskier than sand amps).
the LD 3 series cost more but offer a bunch more features (eg. auto-impedance matching, outboard pwr supply, switchable between triode and pentode mode, ability to drive spkrs and even the notoriously difficult to pwr akg k1000s) and do not run particulary hot. so if you can spring for it i'd recommend trying one of those on for size.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think I'm going for a PPA + external power supply, already talked to MisterX. Still watching this thread though.

Is he still making PPAs? I was recommended the PPA by several folks as having good synergy with the 580. I might just have to shoot him a pm!
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #36 of 47
I really love my X-Can! A benefit is that you can easily substitute tubes and get a very different sound. Its helped me to better understand my aural tastes (a little joke...)
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #37 of 47
I prefer Solid State amps with Senns. Something like a used Dynalo would be good. But I have not heard many of the Tube amps listed here, so someone with more listening experience might know better than I do.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #41 of 47
I've been using my HD580's with the LD2+ since early summer 2006 and have been very happy with this combo. The only gripe I had about my LD2+ was that I recieved a black one rather than the silver I had ordered. Other than that it has been very reliable (I just have to power up without headphones plugged in, and then plug them in after a minute). It does run hot but after a couple hours of use, I can still keep my hand on it without it being uncomfortable for about 10 seconds. I've never owned any other tube gear so not sure how this compares to other tube amps as far as heat.

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think I'm going for a PPA + external power supply, already talked to MisterX. Still watching this thread though.

Excellent choice.

Mar 5, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried the HD595 with amp and ampless and even with good amps, the ampless sounded better.

x2

Mar 6, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

wow way to bring a old thread up, then talk about a headphone that is not even the topic.
this thread was about the 580 NOT 595.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back