~$150 Amp that sounds great with the hd580?
Feb 23, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicArmada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other reccomendations? I can stretch to around $200 now.

Original Master (see sig for bad photo)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no amp. amp would degrade the sound.

So he's supposed to connect his headphones straight to his DAC?

An amp only degrades the sound if the headphones can be sufficiently powered without it.

edit: since i'm always curious, i just connected my hd580 up to my Lite DAC-AH without an amp. It has no where near enough power to even provide sufficient volume.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #17 of 47
Guys guys just disregard what cotdt says.

Anyway I see no one has mentioned the Lunchbox yet. Costs about $170 shipped and make a very well performing budget tube amp.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 47
Hmm really not too many suggestions other than the ones I had in mind before the thread started. I'll most likely try to go for a X-Can V2, unless a really good deal on another one of the amps appears. Thanks!

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

i tried the HD595 with amp and ampless and even with good amps, the ampless sounded better.

I thought the HD595 was well-known for not needing an amp. I don't have a hd595, so...this doesn't apply to my situation.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

i tried the HD595 with amp and ampless and even with good amps, the ampless sounded better.

With what source? The zhaolu? It has a built-in amp.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #22 of 47
I'll third the X-Can v2 if you can find one. If not, get a Pimeta.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #23 of 47
I guess u can try one of thoese littledot if the x-can plan didn't go through. those are great amp for the price even the build quanlity may not be so good sometime
cool.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With what source? The zhaolu? It has a built-in amp.

don't take cotdt seriously: he's a k701 troll who rags on Senns and Grados. I don't know why he likes to thread crap
rolleyes.gif

As for the OP, listen to Solitary1

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #26 of 47
I have had a Little Dot ll++ for about a week now. I really like this amp!
If you have a decent source, I don't think you can beat this amp for the price. My source is an original Rega Planet, I'm listening to my HD580's a lot more since I got this amp.

Cheers,

JD
580smile.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #27 of 47
Gonna derail the post a bit.
redface.gif

I too have been looking to amp the HD 580, and the LD2++ is at the top of my list. But two concerns:

1) I've read that several of them ship defective. This is an obvious pain considering it's shipped from China to the States.

2) This thing runs hot. I'd like to sleep with my headphones on, and if I get a knee-jerk reaction due to a bad dream and topple the LD2++, can my apartment ablaze? I suppose a more succinct way to put this is is the LD2++ a fire hazard?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 47
Since you've stretched your budget, you might want to check out the Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III amp. Its DIY so you'd either build it yourself (easily under $200) or get someone to build it for you, like I am doing. I'll post some impressions once my amp comes in, but as far as I have heard, many people prefer it to the Gilmore Lite with Senn's.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mynameispaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gonna derail the post a bit.
redface.gif

I too have been looking to amp the HD 580, and the LD2++ is at the top of my list. But two concerns:

1) I've read that several of them ship defective. This is an obvious pain considering it's shipped from China to the States.

2) This thing runs hot. I'd like to sleep with my headphones on, and if I get a knee-jerk reaction due to a bad dream and topple the LD2++, can my apartment ablaze? I suppose a more succinct way to put this is is the LD2++ a fire hazard?

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hi Paul,

I can only speak to the LD2++ I have had for a couple of weeks now. I received mine in good condition and pretty quick too, from China to California.
I believe they have recently changed the board design, mine does get warm, but I would not call it hot or a fire hazard. Do a search on this board regarding the new board design. In closing, I can say I'm very happy with mine. The sound quality keeps improving.

JD
580smile.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

I am sorry, come again? hd595 + darkvoice = excellence, taken where it would not go without this amp.

Op: ld2++ is a nice suggestion =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back