$15 for essentially a $200 pen? i'll take one!
Apr 22, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #76 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
I have a couple of questions for the pen geeks here:

What's the best refill that will fit in a Cross selectip pen body? I have a couple of those pens that have been sitting in a desk drawer for years because I got tired of how fast the original select tips dried out.

The Selectip ballpoint refill is actually not that bad, and is one of the better BP refills out there. The gel refill writes quite a bold line, and whether you get a good one is a hit or miss thing...if you get a bad one it'll put down big blops or just plain refuse to write. I don't really think you can fit much else into Cross Selectips due to the size and length of their Selectip refills...it's rather unique on the market. Most of the ones that you can play around with are based on a shape and size similar to the Parker refills.

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #77 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvallere
Heh. I'm definitely a pen geek but can't answer your Cross question...I had the same problem, and have a gold Selectip my dad gave me for college graduation that is sitting in my pen case, looking pretty, but unusable. When's the last time you tried a real Selectip refill? For me it's been about 10 years or more, so maybe Cross has improved them?

It must be 8 or 9 years since I had a real selectip.

I might try the selectip ballpoint, but I basically never use ballpoints anymore.

Now that I think about pens again, I wonder what happened to my Yafa? That' s the trouble with nice pens, they disappear if you carry them around. I still get agravated when I think about the [company I used to work for] logo Cross I had and lost 20 years ago.

Heh, I should just buy a box of Jetstreams and forget about the rest of this stuff.....

Apr 23, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #79 of 119
I have yet to find a mechanical pencil that is more comfortable or well designed than the PhD. The grip takes comfort beyond any rational extreme, the tip is retractable, and the eraser is thick and extendable such that it seems to never run out. It erases well, too.

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #80 of 119
My pen of choice for long, continuous periods of essay-writing is the Sanford Uniball Powertank. It writes smooth, doesn't smudge (really important for a lefty), has the perfect stroke width, and has a smooth, simple design.
I also like the Pilot G2; its been a standby for a few years now.
My least favorite pen is the most expensive, a Sensa Cloud 9; biggest waste of money ever.
I use a Zebra M-301 mechanical pencil; it has a slight heft in your hand, and the stainless steel keeps it from breaking easily. The erasers are pitiful on these things, so I also have a nice big Factis art eraser.

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #81 of 119
My current EDC pen:
Porsche Design P3130 loaded with an Itoya aqua roller refill (fits Parker style pens)
133283002_95875b43d6_b.jpg

133282975_148e2a9928_b.jpg

The stainless steel rods that form the body of the pen are under tension and pivot and flex as you rotate the pen body to expose the point or retract it. Very cool design and the aqua roller from Itoya is one of my favorites.

Apr 23, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #83 of 119
How do you like THEM pens...from my stash...

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #85 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
If the author couldn't be witty, he could have at least tried to be concise.

damn straight. but of course, he was "trying" to be witty

Apr 23, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #87 of 119
do what i do: write as little as possible
smily_headphones1.gif
train your mind to remember rather than writing down.......................course i forget everything anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #88 of 119
Hey, hold on a moment...

The Mont Blanc is a roller ball, right? Intended to be capped, right? And the G2 is a retractable. So, won't the MB refill dry out quickly if it's not capped in the G2 body?

Apr 23, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #89 of 119
Quote:

The Mont Blanc is a roller ball, right? Intended to be capped, right? And the G2 is a retractable. So, won't the MB refill dry out quickly if it's not capped in the G2 body?

You're ruining the trick Earwax, questioning the design
biggrin.gif
. You have a point, but what keeps the G2 ink from drying up? Maybe if the tip is retracted in the pen, it is protected from drying up
smily_headphones1.gif
Actually, rollerballs don't need a cap, because the little ball protects most of the ink. Sure the small amount of ink on the outside of the ball may dry up, but the rest is sealed for freshness behind the ball.

Apr 23, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #90 of 119
Another pen I like is my Discovery Channel Massage Pen.
I bought a bunch of them for gifts when they were half price.
It's thier older version that uses an "N" cell, much easier to find and cheaper than the button cells in their current version.
The ladies in the office love it.
Regarding the capless rollerball, that's exactly the reason I bought my Lamy Swift. Back then I couldn't find a roller ball pen that didn't have a cap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back