$130 budget what should i get?
Jun 27, 2005 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

stev310

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I have narrowed my search for my new headphones down to these the e2cs or px100 or grado sr60....or anything else people think i should get. I know the Grados are the best sounding but they arent very potable right? Well what do you think i should get? I am raising my budget to around 130 USD now. I really want to get the right headphones this time....no room for mistake! Thanks guys

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 23
Alessandro MS1's. 'Nuff said .
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

99 bucks shipped, new, with a warranty.

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 23
Are the MS1's good portability? Can i wear them anywhere or are they too big...are they better than the etymotic and shure earbuds? They look sweet im thinking about getting them, can anyone agree with this decision to get the ms1's

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 23
They're big, and won't provide the best sound if you're out and about, because of outside noise and all.

What's more important, portable usage or home usage? Maybe consider getting separate pairs for each...
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 23
1. If you don't mind wearing big looking headphones, MS-1 are very good. Thse are basically tweaked SR125's. They are very light and travel pretty well, but these are still better for home use as they don't fold up. They do lay flat in a suitcase pretty well.
2. If you like bass, the PX-100's are still very good. They have a fat sounding bass.
3. If you like noise isolation, the ER-6i's are good, keep in mind they don't put out a lot of bass. I prefer these over the E2C and even E3C

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Suggestion:

IMO, PX100s are not in the same league as the E2c/SR60.

I own and use all three regularly. If you need portability and isolation E2c is a no brainer, I like the SR60 best sonically.

If you have enough money, get the MS-1.

...then there's the KSC 60ohms series
icon10.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
Don't buy the MS-1, the Er6is, e2cs the px100 or grado sr60. Waste of money. You can do better with the

I have to disagree. For the price range quoted, I think you'd best be off with the ER-6i for portable use if you are concerned with isolating yourself from the rest of the world and not being able to hear anything other than your music
etysmile.gif
for home use, the MS-1 hits the sweet spot -- I can't stop jammin to them (rock music of course).

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 23
not really sure what your criteria is, or what your source is... so for $130, and assuming that your source has an underpowered headphone circuit...

K240s-55 + amp (cmoy, govibe2, PA2)
SR60 + amp (cmoy, govibe2, PA2)
KSC75 + amp (cmoy, govibe2, PA2)

If you need isolation:
e2c + amp (cmoy, govibe2, PA2)

IMHO the K240s is the best sounding of the bunch. SR60 if you need some degree of portability. KSC75 if you want comfort and low cost. e2c if you need isolation.

Hope this helps!!
Garrett

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 23
For home the grados are great, though I do not think they would work well for portable.

For portability definately a canalphone especially since they are better sounding than the PX100.

From the canalphones I have tried (ER6i, E3, ER4), my favorite is the Er4. The ER6i sounds thin and has sibilant highs, and the ER4 while still artificial and thin, has extraordinary detail, and separation. THe thinness seems to help. The lack of decay in the ER4 is to artificially clean up the sound removing decay, that way preventing the instuments to mush together, yet destroying musicality. The E3 on the other hand have a more realistic decay, which causes unfortunately means less separation, but a much more musical sound. There is less separation as the decay seems to fill up sound-space which could have been left empty to give more separation. The midrange on the E3 is beautiful (nicest of the three), but the highs do roll off. If you want detail save up for the ER4 however (They are very detailed). On you price range however I would reccomend the E3 though for their more natural sound.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 23
well i have pretty much made up my mind that i need portability and the grados wont do that for me. I am trying to decide between canal phones the e2c, er6, er61, e3c. Im not sure which sounds the best i like good bass. Who has experienced these and which do you like most?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back