12AU7 PCB Starving Student Hybrid Amp - zammykoo Build Log
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #46 of 59

Quote:
Ah! much better. I had something similar happen to me once, a low quality, low input impedance multimeter gave readings around 20% off in a tube circuit.   Well, good to hear everything's fine and that you have voltage within parameters. 

So measure DC at the output and if there's none, tell us if your build plays music !!!

Yes much thanks, equalizer! I'll have to continue my mission tomorrow. If my amp isn't fried tonight, I sure am
tongue.gif

I'll keep you guys posted. Good night!

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #47 of 59
Yeah, I should to to bed too. Sorry, I get carried away :)   Good night !

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #49 of 59

Quote:
you should post a build step by step if you ever get a chance. Or you can just PM me. I still don't understand where each part goes on your board. O.o haha sorry for sucking.

Hm, since my amp is already assembled, it's not possible to do a step-by-step guide. I'll include a diagram where the components are supposed to be and the order of assembly. (Although I've basically followed Tom's guide seen HERE).

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #50 of 59

Quote:
Hm, since my amp is already assembled, it's not possible to do a step-by-step guide. I'll include a diagram where the components are supposed to be and the order of assembly. (Although I've basically followed Tom's guide seen HERE).

Thank you very much. did  you get my wood test cuts? I messed up on the top cut today so i have to retry it.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #51 of 59

Quote:

Thank you very much. did  you get my wood test cuts? I messed up on the top cut today so i have to retry it.

Brian, here's the reference for component placement. It is on my other thread. The only other thing not mentioned is what goes on the top and bottom side. And refer to Tom's/Doug's BOM listed on their website for resistor/cap id's. (The only major difference from their BOM are my heatsinks, which are vertical 63mm)

Top side: FETs/heatsinks and Tubes/sockets
Bottom/Ground plane side: Everything else

And yeah I just saw your photos, looking a bit rough around the edges but still cool. Feel free to post them here so everyone else can see.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #54 of 59

Quote:
Did you guys finish this amp yet?How's it sound?
Did you try to change the 12au7 tube with Siemens 12au7?

I didn't get a chance to work on my amp today cause my fiio e9 came in the mail, so got a bit sidetracked
dt880smile.png

I don't have other tubes beside my Sylvania set.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #55 of 59

Quote:
Brian, here's the reference for component placement. It is on my other thread. The only other thing not mentioned is what goes on the top and bottom side. And refer to Tom's/Doug's BOM listed on their website for resistor/cap id's. (The only major difference from their BOM are my heatsinks, which are vertical 63mm)

Okay, So you said I needed 2 extra resistors for R2 and R8? or am I mistaken? Thats where I was confused.
Thanks

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #56 of 59

Quote:
Okay, So you said I needed 2 extra resistors for R2 and R8? or am I mistaken? Thats where I was confused.
Thanks

To build a 12AU7 SSMH you need R2 and R8 = 390 K   instead of the original 19J6 SSMH BOM value of 220K.

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Top side: FETs/heatsinks and Tubes/sockets
Bottom/Ground plane side: Everything else

And yeah I just saw your photos, looking a bit rough around the edges but still cool. Feel free to post them here so everyone else can see.

I joined head-fi so i could ask this, but is there any chance you have the PCB in a format i can put into a CNCmill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back