12AU7 PCB Starving Student Hybrid Amp - zammykoo Build Log
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #31 of 59

Quote:
Nice Tam. what tubes are you putting in? Also the I just checked on the guy who is making the planks of wood for me and it's looking good. Im doing test cuts tomorrow and ill then put the planks in CnC soon. Still trying to get copperclad board.

Thanks Brian, I have some Sylvania NOS tubes ready to go as soon as I get a hold of some thermal grease (thought I had some last night but it was empty!). On a side note I was still interested in the bergquist pads but can't find any locally...

Cool, can you post pics of those cuts?

Quote:
hi guys,
do you have the schematic for this tubes headphones amp? n also the pcb layouts? please

If you search 12au7 starving student schematic you'll find it. There are a few posted copies floating around head-fi (or google). As far as the pcb layout I will post it as soon as I can confirm my own is working first.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #33 of 59
alright i've wired it up and gave it a voltage test.... i'm in a bit of a pickle because where the ~12V is, it reads 26.6V. And where 48V is, it reads 98.8V!

I'll check again for shorts... hopefully I haven't fried anything
confused.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #35 of 59

Quote:
alright i've wired it up and gave it a voltage test.... i'm in a bit of a pickle because where the ~12V is, it reads 26.6V. And where 48V is, it reads 98.8V!

I'll check again for shorts... hopefully I haven't fried anything
confused.gif

98.8 V ??? Wow. What's the voltage output of your power supply ? That sounds as if you had a bipolar +/- 48 V supply and you were measuring across the - and + outputs!!

cheers!

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #37 of 59

Quote:
98.8 V ??? Wow. What's the voltage output of your power supply ? That sounds as if you had a bipolar +/- 48 V supply and you were measuring across the - and + outputs!!

cheers!

Yeah, I was pretty shocked about that. I have the Cisco PSA18U as listed. Besides shorting, is there anything else I should look for?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #39 of 59

Quote:
Yeah, I was pretty shocked about that. I have the Cisco PSA18U as listed. Besides shorting, is there anything else I should look for?

I can't imagine how a short would cause the voltage to double up in value. Though there is the chance that you've involuntarily wired up a voltage doubler, of course :)  Do measure the voltage output from the power supply unit (unplugged from the amplifier circuit) so as to be sure it's working as it should.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #40 of 59

Quote:
I can't imagine how a short would cause the voltage to double up in value. Though there is the chance that you've involuntarily wired up a voltage doubler, of course :)  Do measure the voltage output from the power supply unit (unplugged from the amplifier circuit) so as to be sure it's working as it should.

The adapter measures 105.2V.... is that my problem?? That's nowhere near 48V
eek.gif

Did I get the right one?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #41 of 59

Quote:
The adapter measures 105.2V.... is that my problem?? That's nowhere near 48V
eek.gif

Whoa!  That's near the mains voltage! That's definitely a problem. I remember someone in the SSMH thread having a similar problem with a Cisco PSU, but I think it was putting out like 60 volts not a HUNDRED! 

You'll have to try with another PSU. Just remember to measure it before plugging it into your (very nice looking so far, btw) amp circuit.  Incidentally, I don't think you've fried anything, since the MOSFET's and tubes can take that voltage and then some. I'd check the electrolytic caps, they are surely rated for something like 60 volts and might have been exposed to ~100.

cheers!

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #43 of 59
ARG! False alarm... I knew something was too fishy. My multimeter is malfunctioning too! I tested this again with another one and it seems to be closer to what it should be. I'll need to get a completely new set of tools electrical tools now.

I have 12.0V and 45.1V, whew!

I still think a resistor is grounding itself somewhere....

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #45 of 59

Quote:
ARG! False alarm... I knew something was too fishy. My multimeter is malfunctioning too! I tested this again with another one and it seems to be closer to what it should be. I'll need to get a completely new set of tools electrical tools now.

I have 12.0V and 45.1V, whew!

I still think a resistor is grounding itself somewhere....

Ah! much better. I had something similar happen to me once, a low quality, low input impedance multimeter gave readings around 20% off in a tube circuit.   Well, good to hear everything's fine and that you have voltage within parameters. 

So measure DC at the output and if there's none, tell us if your build plays music !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back