1266 TC or Susvara? Would love some guidance
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 34
That will not be happening although I may keep my HEKv1 :relaxed: . If more money is to be spent at a later date it will be better amp I would guess.
Congrats on the TC’s as I think it is safe to say one of the Top 5 headphone’s on the planet right now some could argue it’s place but still a fantastic headphone. I always regret for awhile when I sell a headphone but I get over it. Some have sentimental value to them but having 20 or so doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 34
Spending that much time listening to the TC that I wanted to be able to use Roon as opposed to my IPhone and Tidal so I have ordered a Raspberry Pi that is already configured for Roon.
That is enough cash spent for now, but this seems a very cheap option if it proves reliable

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 34
Spending that much time listening to the TC that I wanted to be able to use Roon as opposed to my IPhone and Tidal so I have ordered a Raspberry Pi that is already configured for Roon.
That is enough cash spent for now, but this seems a very cheap option if it proves reliable
Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my amp/dac.
I'm looking at the burson conductor XR how do you find it? I can't find a huge amount of info on it out there sadly.

My alternative is a benchmark amp and rme dac.

Can't decide atm tho!

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #19 of 34
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 34
Ok have I just undone the purchase of the 1266TC? :relaxed:
Am I now making the chain worse by replacing my IPhone XR with the Raspberry Pi?
I am keen to use Roon but not at the expense of sound quality , especially as I have just splashed out for the 1266TC
Any advice much appreciated as always

Sep 27, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 34
should be reliable and inexpensive enough that if you don't like it that you can return, sell, or bin it. My guess is you'll like it.

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #22 of 34
should be reliable and inexpensive enough that if you don't like it that you can return, sell, or bin it. My guess is you'll like it.
Yes I can do this I guess. I think I made a hasty purchase in order to be able to use Roon in the HP set up.....but the phone works pretty fine :relaxed:

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #23 of 34
Hi

After posting for some help on here about an upgrade to my HP gear I have decided after a lot of reading that a change of headphone will probably be the best way to start. The Burson amp is only a year old and for now it will stay in the set up.

I apologise for the length of the post but I want to give as much detail and information as I can.

I am up in the North East of England and it is very difficult to audition gear. I have always done a lot of research and reading before making my purchases. I know this is not ideal but it seems to have worked more often than not.

I currently use my IPhone to stream TIDAL to my Burson 3XR headphone amplifier, connected by USB cable. I currently have the HD800S and the Hifiman HEKv1.

I have narrowed it down to the Susvara or the 1266TC after A LOT of research on head fi and various reviews etc.

It is difficult to say what I am looking for really , but something which is a bit of an all rounder .

Ideally moving forward I will sell both of my existing HPs and only keep one main set.

HD800S – What I love about this is the soundstage , it is so wide and I feel this helps all the instruments and vocals to stand out. Only issue is I do feel it can be a tad bright with some music .

HEK love the bass, it is full and hits harder than the HD800S. It’s a very smooth sounding HP in my opinion and still has the detail IMO. Compared to the HD800S though it sounds a bit congested at times, I have put this down to having a smaller soundstage.

So ideally my new HP will combine the best of both.

I know we all say it but my musical tastes are quite wide, the only thing I never listen to is Classical and rarely Jazz, although some I do listen to.

I love Metal, Country, Folk , American, Dance , Rap etc

Today I have listened to some Kacey Musgraves, Iron Maiden, Skepta, Ryan Adams, Little Simz and Sleigh Bells, so I need an all rounder of a headphone I reckon.

I have always sought advice on here and all of my previous purchases were made after seeking the advice of others and I am now looking for some guidance once again.

For eg, will my Burson 3XR drive the HPs I have shortlisted, does anyone have any experience of these pairings.

I am looking forward to any suggestions and I appreciate any guidance as always.
Probably an old topic already, but check out Amplify Audio Show on Youtube, he's got a 1266 vs Susvara. I bought both and found his description to be 100% accurate.

TL;DR if you like bass, slam, metal get the 1266. If you like acoustic more, you don't care about the bass so much, you love classical etc. then get the Susvara.

Both are amazing, both are on par technically, both require a good stack to get the most out of them, but from my experience 1266 are a lot easier to handle (scale better from lower end stacks). If you know how HD800 and Utopia sound like, it's kinda like Utopia with HD800 sound stage and extreme detail capabilities.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #24 of 34
Sorry just noticed you already bought TCs : ) nice one, how do you like them? Took me about 2 weeks of fiddling and upgrade of my whole stack to get them to sound as good as I wanted, but holy s every time I put them on (which is every day :p ) I'm blown away.

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 34
Sorry just noticed you already bought TCs : ) nice one, how do you like them? Took me about 2 weeks of fiddling and upgrade of my whole stack to get them to sound as good as I wanted, but holy s every time I put them on (which is every day :p ) I'm blown away.
I think they are awesome, to be honest I did not expect such a massive uplift in sound quality. I literally cant stop listening to music, and even music I never normally listen to.
I am the same I am looking at upgrading too.
I love my Burson Conductor 3X Reference with the TCs , but thats because the TCs are the main stregnth.
I think the Burson probably represents great value for money, but I feel the urge to upgrade. Currently thinking about the Soloist GT, but leaning towards Violectric DHV590 Pro as its an all in one that I could use an external DAC on if I wish , or the Niimbus 5 Pro.
I am close to a decision I think :relaxed:

Oct 19, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #26 of 34
I think they are awesome, to be honest I did not expect such a massive uplift in sound quality. I literally cant stop listening to music, and even music I never normally listen to.
I am the same I am looking at upgrading too.
I love my Burson Conductor 3X Reference with the TCs , but thats because the TCs are the main stregnth.
I think the Burson probably represents great value for money, but I feel the urge to upgrade. Currently thinking about the Soloist GT, but leaning towards Violectric DHV590 Pro as its an all in one that I could use an external DAC on if I wish , or the Niimbus 5 Pro.
I am close to a decision I think :relaxed:
Nice one, I ended up with Holo May L2 -> Soloist 3xp with Classics on input and Sparkos on volume. Having a separate DAC is definitely the way to go at this level. Heard great things about Violectirc, also Moon and Luxman amps. I find 1266 to be ultra transparent, so what you have upstream matters a great deal. I went from not having any bass and slam, to having slam and having too much harsh top end, to where I am now which is pretty much spot on for me.

Glad you enjoy them, I read so much s about them and Abyss in general I almost ignored them ... and I'm so glad I didn't. It's the best thing I've heard by a large margin. The only other things that come close are EE Odin iems and Utopia from a good tube amp ... but even then TCs are in a league of their own.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #27 of 34
Nice one, I ended up with Holo May L2 -> Soloist 3xp with Classics on input and Sparkos on volume. Having a separate DAC is definitely the way to go at this level. Heard great things about Violectirc, also Moon and Luxman amps. I find 1266 to be ultra transparent, so what you have upstream matters a great deal. I went from not having any bass and slam, to having slam and having too much harsh top end, to where I am now which is pretty much spot on for me.

Glad you enjoy them, I read so much s about them and Abyss in general I almost ignored them ... and I'm so glad I didn't. It's the best thing I've heard by a large margin. The only other things that come close are EE Odin iems and Utopia from a good tube amp ... but even then TCs are in a league of their own.
Thats a nice set up you have there then.
I will consider the Holo Audio stuff further down the line I think, also Denafrips ......oh lots of others too.
The only slight concern i have is I do love the Burson sound , it may be classed as a warmer amp I am not sure , so I really dont want to go like too clinical with that sharp treble I am afraid of. I think thats why an R2R DAC does appeal.
I have a lot to consider. Thanks for your post and keep enjoying the TCs.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #28 of 34
I have narrowed it down to the Susvara or the 1266TC after A LOT of research on head fi and various reviews etc.

It is difficult to say what I am looking for really , but something which is a bit of an all rounder

Susvara aren't the best cans on anything specific. You could get headphones that sound more open, go deeper, have highs pronounced more etc. However, Susvara being not outstanding but great in every regard there is is their best trait. In that sense they're very balanced and that's what makes them great all-rounders. I didn't audition 1266TC as much so can't say how they compare.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #29 of 34
Susvara aren't the best cans on anything specific. You could get headphones that sound more open, go deeper, have highs pronounced more etc. However, Susvara being not outstanding but great in every regard there is is their best trait. In that sense they're very balanced and that's what makes them great all-rounders. I didn't audition 1266TC as much so can't say how they compare.
Ah I went for the TCs about 4 weeks ago. Incredible headphones, they really are something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back