1266 TC or Susvara? Would love some guidance
Sep 16, 2021 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Womaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi

After posting for some help on here about an upgrade to my HP gear I have decided after a lot of reading that a change of headphone will probably be the best way to start. The Burson amp is only a year old and for now it will stay in the set up.

I apologise for the length of the post but I want to give as much detail and information as I can.

I am up in the North East of England and it is very difficult to audition gear. I have always done a lot of research and reading before making my purchases. I know this is not ideal but it seems to have worked more often than not.

I currently use my IPhone to stream TIDAL to my Burson 3XR headphone amplifier, connected by USB cable. I currently have the HD800S and the Hifiman HEKv1.

I have narrowed it down to the Susvara or the 1266TC after A LOT of research on head fi and various reviews etc.

It is difficult to say what I am looking for really , but something which is a bit of an all rounder .

Ideally moving forward I will sell both of my existing HPs and only keep one main set.

HD800S – What I love about this is the soundstage , it is so wide and I feel this helps all the instruments and vocals to stand out. Only issue is I do feel it can be a tad bright with some music .

HEK love the bass, it is full and hits harder than the HD800S. It’s a very smooth sounding HP in my opinion and still has the detail IMO. Compared to the HD800S though it sounds a bit congested at times, I have put this down to having a smaller soundstage.

So ideally my new HP will combine the best of both.

I know we all say it but my musical tastes are quite wide, the only thing I never listen to is Classical and rarely Jazz, although some I do listen to.

I love Metal, Country, Folk , American, Dance , Rap etc

Today I have listened to some Kacey Musgraves, Iron Maiden, Skepta, Ryan Adams, Little Simz and Sleigh Bells, so I need an all rounder of a headphone I reckon.

I have always sought advice on here and all of my previous purchases were made after seeking the advice of others and I am now looking for some guidance once again.

For eg, will my Burson 3XR drive the HPs I have shortlisted, does anyone have any experience of these pairings.

I am looking forward to any suggestions and I appreciate any guidance as always.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 34
How the Burson will run either I don’t know .
For me as a AB-1266 OG owner I’m going to say the TC’s. While I think the Susvara is a excellent headphone there is something about the Abyss that just draws me in. It can get very visceral but at the same time can reproduce acoustic instruments so well and without being overbearing at all. This is one of those you just have to hear it things.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 34
Properly amped TCs are the best headphones I’ve ever heard. The Susvaras are tied for 2nd with the Sr1as.

If I could only keep one pair of headphones, it would be the TCs

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 34
Sep 17, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 34
Some great replies , so thank you. I guess a couple of you have hit the nail on the head, will my current amp power these headphones? I think it sounds like the Susvara is the more difficult to drive.
I think I am leaning more towards the Abyss , as it sounds like its more in your face if you like........just hope it does not sound bright to me. At present there is one in the classifieds on this forum and I am very tempted. Although I dont quite have the cash yet :relaxed: :relaxed:

I think another potential issue for me is the comfort.....I know the Susvara will not be an issue but the TC may be.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #9 of 34
At present I will not be adding anything to my set up other than the headphones. Do you think the Susvara needs more power than what I currently have?
I am driving my Susvara happily with my Conductor 3XR, despite I enjoy it more with my Benchmark HPA4 as line amplifier.

Go getting one and you will not be disappointed.

Sep 18, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 34
OK I have just ordered the TC and they arrive on Tuesday. Thanks to all of you who have reached out and helped me on here it is very much appreciated.

I will be using the Burson Conductor 3X Reference DAC/AMP with them so I hope that I will like this combination. I know that the amp and DAC itch will hit me but for then next 6 to 12 months that is me broke now :relaxed:

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 34
OK I have just ordered the TC and they arrive on Tuesday. Thanks to all of you who have reached out and helped me on here it is very much appreciated.

I will be using the Burson Conductor 3X Reference DAC/AMP with them so I hope that I will like this combination. I know that the amp and DAC itch will hit me but for then next 6 to 12 months that is me broke now :relaxed:
Congratulations. There is no wrong choice between these 2 world class headphones. Now you can start saving up for a pair of Susvara. :wink:

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 34
Congratulations. There is no wrong choice between these 2 world class headphones. Now you can start saving up for a pair of Susvara. :wink:
That will not be happening although I may keep my HEKv1 :relaxed: . If more money is to be spent at a later date it will be better amp I would guess.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #13 of 34
That will not be happening although I may keep my HEKv1 :relaxed: . If more money is to be spent at a later date it will be better amp I would guess.
I'd look to sell your HEKv1 and go for the Susvara...but that's me. :p

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 34
I'd look to sell your HEKv1 and go for the Susvara...but that's me. :p
My pockets are not that deep :relaxed: My original intention was to sell both my existing HPs and just keep the TC, however the resale value of the HEK may be quite low now so I may keep them , we will see.
The HD800S will go up for sale soon though

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 34
I am driving my Susvara happily with my Conductor 3XR, despite I enjoy it more with my Benchmark HPA4 as line amplifier.

Go getting one and you will not be disappointed.
While not owning the Susvara and hearing them only a few times I have to say I really liked them from the HPA4 the most just a excellent pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back