1212M owners - any tips on compatibility with games?
Nov 13, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 35
It's funny how so many people have problems but EMU swears up and down that the soundcard is perfectly compatible as a all in one solution for your computer. I was trying for weeks to get my Soundstorm SPDIF to work with my 1212M so that I could use the SS for games but that didn't work. In fact EMU claims it is impossible despite handful of users telling me they are running this setup.

I am getting the same problems as everyone. Sound cutting out. Crackling. Distortion. Skips. Sounds like a broken record. Geez
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 35
I have zero in-game problems with my 1212m. Doom3, Quake3, FarCry, Half Life and a bunch of car racing games.

XP sp1/P4 2.4 @ 3.0MHz Asus P4C-800E Dlx/2x512MB OCZ PC3700/ATI 9700 pro

PCI Latency Time set to 64

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #19 of 35
ok then ... lets see .. how many of us having problems have AMD and how many have Intel? ... btw bassd00d .. read the thread we tried more things than a simple driver reinstall to get it to work, its an ongoing issue. theres another thread going at the same time right now about this very issue at the emu forums, btw give us your specs you fully working guys, dont just say it worx great for me !!! ahaha suckkas ... it doesnt help. http://www.productionforums.com/emu/...72&whichpage=1

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #21 of 35
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
1 GB PC3200
Windows XP Professional, SP2

I seemed to have fixed most of the sound problems in games by boosting PCI latency to a whopping 136!

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richteralan
no sound problems.

Using 44.1/48 customized session with only one ASIO strip and WAVE strip, no send in strips.

And I installed SP2, no problems at all.

Why no sends? If you do a direct send to I/O you will get supposedly a bit perfect output and as a side effect (you decide good or bad), it's louder!

Nov 14, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #23 of 35
Windows XP SP2, E-Mu 1.60 drivers, Minimum-10 44K and a send from WAVE to I/O L/R. No audio problems in game... ever. If you run at 48K though ouch. Removing or disabling any old soundcard and its drivers never hurts either.

Nov 14, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Why no sends? If you do a direct send to I/O you will get supposedly a bit perfect output and as a side effect (you decide good or bad), it's louder!

as i understand this, eventhough the sound is louder the only thing that happens here is that the sound bypasses the main mixer.

anyway, my 1212M isn't working with games. i've got an AMD 2800XP with an nforce 1 chipset. it isn't so bad since i use my audigy2 for gaming which is set for spdif output and connected to the 1212M's spdif input.

Nov 15, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #25 of 35
I had similar problems with my 1212m at first. My sound would start to distort then drop out completely, randomly, when playing most games. The culprit ended up being a game browser I use called The All-Seeing Eye. For some reason it interferes with the EMU drivers, causing the drop outs, and also causes it to eat cpu cycles while idle (almost 35% after installing the 1212m). If I exit that before starting games up I have no problems (I had it run on windows boot). It's strange, because that program doesn't have any sound features that I know of. Hope that helps in some form.
blink.gif

Nov 15, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 35
So far it seems like the Intel users are not having problems. Anyone out there with an Intel CPU and 1212M with in-game sound issues?

If yes please list your CPU/Mobo/Latency (in BIOS)/emu driver version/

Nov 19, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
I was trying for weeks to get my Soundstorm SPDIF to work with my 1212M so that I could use the SS for games but that didn't work. In fact EMU claims it is impossible despite handful of users telling me they are running this setup.

I just tried this and can confirm it didn't work, leading me to assume the digital Soundstorm output is always encoded in Dolby Digital even in 2 channel mode.

This is reasonable I guess as that is exactly what the Soundstorm hardware encoder is meant to do. I will double check later by hooking my PC up to my HT amp, which will tell me the signal type and the number of active channels on it's display.

I hooked the SPDIF optical digital out from my Sony minidisc deck to the 1212M and it worked instantly, so my simple PatchMix session was fine.

Back to using the analog input on the 1212M for games...I might plug my old SBLive back in and use that. It's outputs are much better than those of the analog Soundstorm.

XP SP2
Athlon XP2600 @ 2305MHz
ABIT NF7-S
512MB RAM
ATI 9800XT
PCI Latency 128

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #29 of 35
FYI, I onw a 1212 M and am very happy with it, but the sound cuts in Far Cry and HL 2 (but it's ok in sim city 4).
I've got a Intel P 4 3 GH.
I've downloaded the new version of the driver (1.60) but it doesn't change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back