1212M owners - any tips on compatibility with games?
Nov 12, 2004 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
I am using Product Default session thinking that is the most benign.

Far Cry - Sound with Ubisoft intro and the second (engine) intro. No sound whatsoever in the game.

Doom 3 - Soundcuts out every 2-3 minutes. Only way of fixing it is to go to the sound settingss and toggle the positional audio box. For some reason that fixes it.

Love the soundcard to death for music but considering it isn't able to receive output from my Soundstorm digital coax and won't work with games, I am becoming quite frustrated.

Thanks for your help/

Nov 12, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 35
I've had zero problems at default settings with any game I've ever tried, here is a short list of the games i've played in the last few months regularily

Counter Strike: Source
World of Warcraft Beta
Doom3
Warcraft 3
Guild Wars
Unreal Tournament 2004

No sound cut outs, no stuttering, etc.

The problem may be elsewhere, my system is:

AMD 2400+ XP
1024 MB DDR RAM
Asus A7V266-E (KT266A Chipset)
ATI Raedon 9800 Pro
E-MU 1212m
RealTek 8029 NIC
2x 80 GB Seagate Baracuda IV HD
52x24x52 CDR/RW

Drivers: Latest ATI & E-MU, Directx 9.0c

My BIOS memory timings are normal, not optimal, PCI timings are default, on-board stuff is disabled.

Only background service I have running is my AV (Symantec AV Corp) and maybe MSN messenger and IRC. I don't try to play music while gaming at the same time. Post your specs maybe we can find the prob.

Nov 12, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 35
Odd. What specific session file do you use? 1212M Product Default? Can you post yours here? I set everything to default. In my Windows sound settings, I set the EMU in every category.

I guess I can try disabling onboard sound entirely from bios. I don't see how this would help though since there are no conflicts.

Nov 12, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 35
I've had similar problems with a couple games with my 0404.

Enemy Territory - sound would cut out after a few minutes of play, don't know what I did, but it started working fine one day.

CounterStrike Source - sound cuts out under 1 min into play.

according to ichi over in the emu support forums he says you need to run with at least service pack 1, which I don't...so theres a chance that may have something to do with it.

Nov 13, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 35
oh god..dont install 2!!! sp1 fixes a lot but sp2...
bahh, spyware bloat! you can do all the spyware blocking sp2 does with like... 2 megs of programs.

thats my only 2c because the only game i play is halflife and it works just fine with the 1212
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 35
same here cuts out after like a min, i started a thread on this already not much interest it seems ...
athlon xp 2500+
xp sp1 w/ latest windows updates
512mb PC2700
nforce2 board A7n8x Asus
1212m v1.60 driver

i tried messing with the latency with powerstrip, tried dxdiag trying different sound accelerations with the slider bar, nada, but hey foobar works with asio flawless, thats about it .. all the other apps seem to cut out after a while.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 35
Similar problem, after a minute or two sound starts to distort then cuts out. Adjusting an audio setting restores it for a few minutes.

At the moment I have the front analog out of onboard Soundstorm plugged into the 1212M analog input.

The Soundstorm is the default soundcard in WinXP so games use that.
Foobar and music software are configured to use the 1212M.

For listening/gaming I have a simple PatchMix session with:
Strip 1 = ASIO OUT 1/2 for Foobar output
Strip 2 = I/O Card In L, panned all the way left for Soundstorm left channel
Strip 3 = I/O Card In R, panned all the way right for Soundstorm right channel

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 35
Doom 3 doesn't even rely on hardware sound. The CPU handles the entire audio load. If you have problems with sound ingame, run dxdiag and set sound acceleration to "low"

Nov 13, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 35
My sound would cut out after about 20 minutes of playing cs, but I found a fix my raising the pci latency from 32ms to 128ms.

Nov 13, 2004 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xantus
oh god..dont install 2!!! sp1 fixes a lot but sp2...
bahh, spyware bloat! you can do all the spyware blocking sp2 does with like... 2 megs of programs.

thats my only 2c because the only game i play is halflife and it works just fine with the 1212
cool.gif

SP2 does fix alot of bugs and leaks just disable the firewall and spyware blocking etc. from XP.

Nov 13, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
My sound would cut out after about 20 minutes of playing cs, but I found a fix my raising the pci latency from 32ms to 128ms.

yeah tried that with powerstrip nothing ... i have now installed sp2 ... same thing ... updated my motherboard bios, still nothing, im thinking im gonna have to switch them to different pci slots.

EDIT : changed pci slots ... and still fizzle no sound .... no acceleration ... everything is tried it seems. ICHi-obi-wan save us your our only hope........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back