120$ Isolating IEMs
May 11, 2008 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

woopididi

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys,
i'm in a need of a pair of IEMs that isolates well; not like the Denon AH-C551 or others. my maximum budget is about 120$.. i will pair the IEMs with the new Sansa Fuze.
what i need from my IEM?
-good sound all over the spectrum, good bass(i won't take etymotics).
-i want it to have good sound isolation.

so i was thinking about the Westone UM1(+Shure Triple Flange eartips) as it fits my budget and it is good in sound isolation, but i heard it's not very good in it's price range. so, do i have other options? or, alternatively, does the Westone UM1 sound ok for it's price?

thank you in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

have a good day,
woop.

May 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 14
I've heard the UM1 and the Super.fi 3. If I were to pick one I'd pick the UE, sounds better for me, wider sound stage but a tad harsher highs.

If you want comfort just get a pair of Comply foam tips.

I don't remember the isolation aspect, I guess they are ok.

May 11, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the UM1 and the Super.fi 3. If I were to pick one I'd pick the UE, sounds better for me, wider sound stage but a tad harsher highs.

If you want comfort just get a pair of Comply foam tips.

I don't remember the isolation aspect, I guess they are ok.

thank you for your input.
smily_headphones1.gif

i guess i should take the UM1 off the list if it fails in comparison to a 70$ IEM.
any other suggestion guys? budget is about 120$.

May 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 14
I second the idea of Comply T400 tips for iso on the 551s, or any canalphone for that matter.

I didn't like the UM1 at all, but at that price, the only IEMs I can figure would be the UEs or a pair of Altec Lansing im616s, which are nowhere near $120 on Amazon. They are made by Ety, but have enough bass (and don't require an amp, like the 716s). That's a very tough price point for true IEMs (vs. canalphones). Save some more money and get the Sleek SA6s, you won't look back. What about q-Jays, for only $60 more? There just aren't that many quality IEMs at $120. Best bet is the canalphones, with the foam tips for iso.

May 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you for your input.
smily_headphones1.gif

i guess i should take the UM1 off the list if it fails in comparison to a 70$ IEM.
any other suggestion guys? budget is about 120$.

For what it's worth, I very much prefer the UM1s to the SF3s, and they isolate better.

May 11, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 14
Um1s are more comfortable than the UEs. And for the record, etys do not lack bass. Have you heard them? You should reconsider especially pairing them with shure foamies. Just enough bass for me. Not overpowering, not lacking.

May 12, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 14
thank you for the suggestion
smily_headphones1.gif

how good do they isolate?
do you know when the group buy ends? Fang told me first week of May but that seems to be over..

EDIT: what's the best price i can get on a pair of Future Sonics Atrio M5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back