12 DACs (Observations, Impressions), 5 Amps, 5 Headphones (Cancelled)
Apr 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #76 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reviewing products on music that you don't know is foolish, even if the music you use isn't TECHNICALLY the best. How can you tell if something sounds better or worse unless you know the source music really well?

A study was done a number of years ago to show the difference in MP3 quality. The study showed that with music you didn't know very well, low quality was sufficient. With music they did know well, they could identify very accurately which samples were the higher vs middle vs lower quality.

Use the music you want to use because you know it better than music you don't.

x2.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #77 of 103
very interesting comparison u've got going on there..looking foward to your impression..

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #78 of 103
I say do the comparisons regardless of what other people's opinion is of the music you chose or how 'revealing' it is or isn't. You are more than qualified to post impressions/comparisons of your gear. I definitely think its a good thing that you chose music you are familiar with.

Apr 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #79 of 103
It would be great if he changed his mind and did it anyway. The two or three who posted negatively doesn't speak for the rest of us. Unlike some, most of us would be extremely grateful for the comparisons. Don't listen to what the two or three said. This is your project and your equipment. It should be done the way you want period. It they want it done a certain way with the music they want, then they should go out and purchase all of the equipment, start their own thread, and do it the way they want.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the OP is gonna be such a bitch about it then I guess no amount of pleading can help.

Oh that will convince him. OMG. Are you from 4chan? Lol.

Haloxt, I love your location XD How many degrees do you happen to live in?

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #87 of 103
Quote:

If the OP is gonna be such a bitch about it then I guess no amount of pleading can help.

I wasn't putting down his music preference at all. Its just that when you evaluate DAC's you need to make sure that there is some dynamic range on the recording. I have the original preloudness war mastering of The Cure- Lullaby that I would be happy to send the reveiwer.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #88 of 103
Quote:

People like this remind me why the world is such a miserable place to be... Existential nihilism, here I come!

HeatFan, I think there are plenty of people here who want you to go through with your project. In all honesty, even PROFESSIONAL reviews of audio equipment (including from TAS, 6moons or whatever publications you all read) lack the kind of comprehensiveness your project promised to bring us. Without having side-by-side comparisons of large samples of gear actually in the article, some of the reviews' meaning and usefulness gets lost. I really liked SonicFlare's sonic circle idea, which permits reviewers to advise readers on the overall flavor or style of sound they exhibit--emotional, precise, intense, etc. Because without such a simple scale, the whole body of professional reviews lacks PERSPECTIVE... They become reduced to repetitive briefings on the same various sonic qualities as any other equipment they review. Even the good reviewers who try to tackle these contrasts are vague at best, preferring journalistic brevity to impassioned thoroughness.

Your project promised to be REALLY useful, not to mention informative. So let's all get over our little hang-ups and let the OP do what he was meant to do!
darthsmile.gif

Ps. The music you were going to evaluate with happens to include some of my favorite artists. It is true the dynamic range is smallish, which ideally COULD be easily tested. However, the music you selected also has great other attributes for thorough testing--bass extension or overhang, brightness or sibilance, and heck, some of my favorite electronica even soundstages MASSIVELY--but only on the right gear! Last of all, I want to hear you review your gear with this music because it's the same music I listen to and therefore EXACTLY what I want and need!
L3000.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #89 of 103
HeatFan might consider exploring some different types of music, as my musical tastes expanded after I started buying better gear. I would have never considered jazz otherwise, for example. Maybe when he is ready he can post some impressions, if he feels like it. I don't see any reason he should have to write up a huge review unless he is ready. I only posted a review of a pair of headphones recently because I had collected up so many thoughts on them, it got to the point I couldn't write short answers when people asked me about them.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #90 of 103
eek.gif
What? No review? Just noticed this.
confused_face.gif

How am I going to know which dacs sound the best with progressive metal like DT - Endless Sacrifice? Or PT? Or The Cure?

HeatFan, you are more than qualified to do this review. Why? Because you have the dacs and you have the music that YOU like and listen to. That is as qualified as it gets.

Most of us who have been following this thread were really looking forward to it. Please reconsider.
biggrin.gif

P.S. DT are coming to Portland as one of the three one-off shows during the Maiden tour. Of course I'm going.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back