12 DACs (Observations, Impressions), 5 Amps, 5 Headphones (Cancelled)
Apr 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #16 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by transient orca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't seem to find impressions on DAC19 + classical music + AKG K701.
frown.gif

I suspect that would be a match made in heaven from my DAC19 DSP experience and audio memory of my K701. This DAC seem to be optimized for classical that´s for sure.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #17 of 103
PhaedrusX: I'm sure once he spends long enough playing around, he wont need to try every possible combination to get a quite good idea of the general aspects of any particular item.
smily_headphones1.gif
Nice quote from Plato by the way.

Anyway...subscribed...
popcorn.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #18 of 103
[Subscribed]
Couldn't keep away.

Looks like you own a mother lode of tasty gear.

I'd like to request a comparison between the DAC section of the FUN and LDDAC_I; maybe through the C-2.
I'd also be interested to hear your opinion on the up-sampling in the DACMagic. How does that compare? I read the thread about the release of the LDDAC and when people compared it to the DACMagic, the LD came out on top.

Your music selection made me nod in appreciation. I always listen to a bit of rage when I get any new gear.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #19 of 103
I'd really link to know what sort of difference ACSS makes in the Audio-gd kit.

So, for example, testing the FUN DAC and DAC19 using a non-ACSS amp, then see if the FUN gets closer using its own amp with ACSS connection. This may need DAC19 -> FUN (non-ACSS) too to assess the FUN vs other amp.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 103
Thanks very much guys.....Good Times...
beerchug.gif

I knew I had missed something...
biggrin.gif
...Links added to first post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wish you luck on this endeavor.

however, mixing and matching 12 DACs, 5 Amps, and 5 Headphones, along with various inputs/outputs and transports, is going to create literally thousands of possible combinations.

if you're going to compare, say, DACs, i'd suggest using one headphone and amp for the comparisons, as without constants this experiment will likely spiral out of control.

then there's the issue of volume matching.

personally, and probably selfishly, i also think it would be very helpful to list the DA chips, filters, and output stage of each DAC to see if any common characteristics or patterns emerge from the different topologies.

of course, it's your gear and hence entirely up to you. good luck.

Absolutely...That was my original plan (DT880 and a SS amp) to try and keep it as "neutral" as possible. I have not deviated from my original plan, just added a few more components (3 SS amps, 1 tube amp and 1 tube hybrid amp) and "rounds" to the mix. The headphones I chose also bring different things to the table. My first "round" with each DAC will be DT880 and KICAS (non-caliente)(once I wrap up the "all-in-one"). All these DACs have been reviewed here at one time or another. This is not a review per se, it's a comparison between various DACs. How does the music flow? Does it sound forced? bottlenecked? Does it sound good with a variety of amps and headphones or is it dependent or too warm with a tube amp, or too bright of a DAC with SS etc. That's why I find it important to list the music. These are the genres I listen to and have tried to make it as versatile as possible with this music.

In reference to inputs (very important)- Let's take USB for example (where applicable). I'm one of those that happen to like usb. I find it very convenient. However, the sound must be good of course. How about drivers? I like to plug in a DAC via usb (Windows), have it recognized right away, open Foobar choose WASAPI, KS, ASIO (where applicable) and rock and roll right away. I don't want to be searching for drivers or firmware and have glitches and dropouts and have to set buffer settings everytime (trust me, I own the Musiland 01USD and since I purchased it there has been probably 45 firmware updates...lol)

To expand on this- I'm comparing the Matrix Mini-i and FUN at the moment. Just a quick note (which I knew already)- The Matrix does not output 44.1 via usb, only 48khz (I have confirmed this with a few head-fiers and have tried various PCs- Vista, 7 and XP)(I believe the Maverick also had this issue). . To some this is okay, it bothers me though. If I want to up/re/over sample, I want to do it myself. There are other inputs to choose, yes and I love the sound of the Matrix (AD1955x2) and the other inputs do 44.1, but still a quirk for me.
That's why I'm comparing the various inputs, for functionality and sound.

Links have been added to first post...

beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #22 of 103
HeatFan,

Thought I'd post the manufacturers links for the DacMagic and the V-DAC.
I just spent the last half hour looking for the Matrix and Musiland for you. Can't get to a manufacturer, all dealers. As for the Zero, that site's in Chinese.
Anyways, here's my spoils:

DacMagic
V-DAC

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 103
Subscribed and good luck!

I am most interested in, are any of the DACs a clear and significant improvement on the V-DAC?

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #24 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyArea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeatFan,

Thought I'd post the manufacturers links for the DacMagic and the V-DAC.
I just spent the last half hour looking for the Matrix and Musiland for you. Can't get to a manufacturer, all dealers. As for the Zero, that site's in Chinese.
Anyways, here's my spoils:

DacMagic
V-DAC

Thanks GreyArea. Added them to the opening post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Subscribed and good luck!

I am most interested in, are any of the DACs a clear and significant improvement on the V-DAC?

Thanks Prog Rock Man. After owning it for a little while, this little "frills free" black box is a solid performer. Might be the sleeper of the bunch, given its price. As far as clear and significant, don't know yet honestly. I will say when I first received it, I tried it with various amps and they all mated very well.

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by anoobis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd really link to know what sort of difference ACSS makes in the Audio-gd kit.

So, for example, testing the FUN DAC and DAC19 using a non-ACSS amp, then see if the FUN gets closer using its own amp with ACSS connection. This may need DAC19 -> FUN (non-ACSS) too to assess the FUN vs other amp.

The ACSS and the Audio-GD gear in general is a different animal altogether with all the possible options. There are buttons with different features and I have all three HDAMs for the C-2 and FUN. In reference to the DAC-19 and C-2, both can connect via ACSS and RCA. My other gear does not have ACSS, so will use RCAs to C-2 with all, including the DAC-19.

I purchased them both together (C-2 & DAC19) and have listened to both connections. Some folks purchase one or the other to use with different gear, so the ACSS connection to DAC19 and C-2 for head to head comparisons is out of the equation. However, I will post some thoughts on ACSS.

In case someone is not familiar with Audio-GD and ACSS- When I received the DAC-19DF and C-2 I had them connected by both for burn-in---

senn2.jpg

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #26 of 103
I'll be watching this thread. Starting to wonder if my DAC is the weak link in my chain. I'm getting closer to where I want to be, as always, just not quite there yet and I think my Compass is starting to hold me back.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 103
I will be watching this thread like a hawk HeatFan.
wink.gif

I personally want to hear your impressions on the Dac19+C2 setup and how it pairs with your Beyer and Denons. I am hoping that they give a relatively neutral sound, but with some "musicality". Also, I would like to hear your impressions on the ACSS connection and how effective it is, in other words is it worth going full AudioGD for it?

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #28 of 103
From my understanding, ACSS can be used via the RCA out to another amplifier, you do not need an Audio-GD amp for it to work. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though, but I have read that information from various threads and from the Audio-GD website.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #29 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I would like to hear your impressions on the ACSS connection and how effective it is, in other words is it worth going full AudioGD for it?

Well, it is worth going full Audio GD even if you're using vanilla RCA outputs lol

dBs: If i'm reading you right, you're using the compass as the dac? I can't speak for your system, but the compass is at best a slightly above entry level DAC; its strength lies in its head amp. Compared to the stand-alone audio-gd dacs, it doesn't come close at all.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #30 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my understanding, ACSS can be used via the RCA out to another amplifier, you do not need an Audio-GD amp for it to work. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong though, but I have read that information from various threads and from the Audio-GD website.

Where did you get that idea? You wont get the benefit of ACSS unless both components use it for amplification internally. The output is in the current domain (milliamps) whereas regular analog connections are in the voltage domain (millivolts).
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back