1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #151 of 1,281
Really intriguing, thanks @A2029! Wondering if this design / tube implementation impacts tube lifespan or other operating characteristics.

It actually runs the tubes pretty conservatively, about 1.25W dissipation on each plate of a 6SN7 or 6J5 - so not even 50% of max dissipation per plate. Tubes should have nice long life in the Blue Halo. Runs the tubes with a flat loadline as well for most linear operation of the tubes.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #152 of 1,281
Love it! You must be very happy with how it turned out. I'm sure the new owner will be as well! It looks so clean and very professional.

One place up the ladder for those of us on the waitlist :)

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #153 of 1,281
Love it! You must be very happy with how it turned out. I'm sure the new owner will be as well! It looks so clean and very professional.

One place up the ladder for those of us on the waitlist :)

Turned out fantastic! During burn in I sat down for a 10 min listen between some chores that I had to do... Ended up getting out of the chair 3 hours later, chores be damned! :L3000:

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #154 of 1,281
NEW PRODUCTS: CUSTOMIZED POWER CABLES

IMG_20200717_155234.jpg
IMG_20200717_155528.jpg

IMG_20200717_155641.jpg

Customized power cables built to your spec, with choices of wire, cable coverings, and connector ends. Featured here is a gorgeous cable with Uptown gold covering and rhodium plated carbon fibre plugs. Lots of options available. Contact for more details.

Jul 18, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #156 of 1,281
NEW PRODUCT: BLUE HALO (Amplifier)

IMG_20200717_161636.jpgIMG_20200717_160916.jpg
IMG_20200717_161921.jpgIMG_20200717_161938.jpg

BLUE HALO is a dedicated amp for high impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD600/650/800, ZMF Verite/Verite C, Beyerdynamic, etc. (anything with 200+ ohm impedance). It's a design that eliminates the need for 6AS7/6080/5998 power tubes for output power. It has two 6J5 sockets and a 6SN7 socket. You can plug in a pair or 6J5, a single 6SN7, or both at the same time. With the use of adapters (purchased separately), hundreds (even thousands) of other types of tubes can be used within the sockets as well (including C3G, 12AU7, 12BH7, and many many others). A 12V switch is also included at the back of the unit in order to use 12V tubes. It produces ~1 watt into 300ohms, more than enough for all high impedance headphones.

BLUE HALO is designed to have a clean, neutral, detailed and smooth sound with great bass. Tube rolling alters the tone of the amp at your preference (e.g. warmer tubes, more detailed tubes, more mids, etc.). The tubes get "supercharged" so that they can produce as much power as 6AS7/6080 power tubes, while fully determining the tone. Not having the 6AS7/6080 tubes means one less gain stage between the input and output = More clarity. The high voltage power supply uses only high quality wax/oil filled polypropylene film caps. Output capacitor are also high quality wax/oil filled polypropylene film capacitors. This means there are zero electrolytics within the signal path - something that no other OTL tube amp has!

BLUE HALO does not use tube rectification, it uses my own custom designed circuit using critically damped and resistivily bounded HEXFRED rectification followed by a high voltage Maida style super regulator and utilizing a wax/oil polypropylene capacitor. This is a much better alternative to tube rectification as it leads to better overall tonal quality, better bass and cleaner overall tone. This also gives deeper blacks and bigger soundstage than tube rectification. It also uses regulated DC on the heaters for a silent black background and zero hum.

BLUE HALO has a base build that includes Neutrik RCA & XLR inputs, Neutrik TRS and 4pin XLR outputs, CNC Engraving, QQQ sockets, Alps Blue velvet pot, and high quality copper internal wiring.

Potential upgrade options include: Lundahl power transformer, Stepped Attenuator (e.g. Acoustic Dimension, Goldpoint, Khozmo, etc.), Kiwame power resistor upgrade, Vishay/Dale RN55/RN60 signal resistor upgrade, Supercharger capacitor upgrades, vibration isolation feet, tube socket upgrades, and RCA/XLR connector upgrades. VU Meters are also possible.

More Photos of BLUE HALO here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhVnwuC9Tp25vXdD8

If interested in a custom build, please contact for more details, pricing and build time.
That appears to be an intriguing design, just about the sort of amp I have been interested in finding for my Auteur! I look forward to learning more about it. I have been on the waiting list for a Glenn, but that might require a lengthy wait still from what I am hearing. My other considerations at this point have been the ZMF Pendant and the DNA Starlett. Looks like a Blue Halo should be in the running now! Great name BTW :)

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #157 of 1,281
That appears to be an intriguing design, just about the sort of amp I have been interested in finding for my Auteur! I look forward to learning more about it. I have been on the waiting list for a Glenn, but that might require a lengthy wait still from what I am hearing. My other considerations at this point have been the ZMF Pendant and the DNA Starlett. Looks like a Blue Halo should be in the running now! Great name BTW :)

Thanks Celty, but I can't take credit for the name - Mad props goes out to @magicman2020 for suggesting the name of the Blue Halo amp and C2029 power conditioner, and for his ideas on engraving locations on the faceplates. I really enjoy collabs with great members of this community!
:beerchug:

My company name, 1101 Audio, is conceived from IC1101 - the largest supergiant elliptical galaxy at the center of the Abell 2029 (A2029) galaxy cluster. The name Blue Halo has relation to several astronomical phenomena including the galactic halo; Wikipedia describes a galactic halo as an "extended, roughly spherical component of a galaxy which extends beyond the main, visible component". :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #158 of 1,281

exactly the same options that i had in mind.. dna stratus, GOTL, pendant... but finally decided to buy BLUE HALO..

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #159 of 1,281
exactly the same options that i had in mind.. dna stratus, GOTL, pendant... but finally decided to buy BLUE HALO..
Cool! I'll be excited to read your experience with it.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #160 of 1,281
NEW PRODUCT: BLUE HALO (Amplifier)

IMG_20200717_161636.jpgIMG_20200717_160916.jpg
IMG_20200717_161921.jpgIMG_20200717_161938.jpg

BLUE HALO is a dedicated amp for high impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD600/650/800, ZMF Verite/Verite C, Beyerdynamic, etc. (anything with 200+ ohm impedance). It's a design that eliminates the need for 6AS7/6080/5998 power tubes for output power. It has two 6J5 sockets and a 6SN7 socket. You can plug in a pair or 6J5, a single 6SN7, or both at the same time. With the use of adapters (purchased separately), hundreds (even thousands) of other types of tubes can be used within the sockets as well (including C3G, 12AU7, 12BH7, and many many others). A 12V switch is also included at the back of the unit in order to use 12V tubes. It produces ~1 watt into 300ohms, more than enough for all high impedance headphones.

BLUE HALO is designed to have a clean, neutral, detailed and smooth sound with great bass. Tube rolling alters the tone of the amp at your preference (e.g. warmer tubes, more detailed tubes, more mids, etc.). The tubes get "supercharged" so that they can produce as much power as 6AS7/6080 power tubes, while fully determining the tone. Not having the 6AS7/6080 tubes means one less gain stage between the input and output = More clarity. The high voltage power supply uses only high quality wax/oil filled polypropylene film caps. Output capacitor are also high quality wax/oil filled polypropylene film capacitors. This means there are zero electrolytics within the signal path - something that no other OTL tube amp has!

BLUE HALO does not use tube rectification, it uses my own custom designed circuit using critically damped and resistivily bounded HEXFRED rectification followed by a high voltage Maida style super regulator and utilizing a wax/oil polypropylene capacitor. This is a much better alternative to tube rectification as it leads to better overall tonal quality, better bass and cleaner overall tone. This also gives deeper blacks and bigger soundstage than tube rectification. It also uses regulated DC on the heaters for a silent black background and zero hum.

BLUE HALO has a base build that includes Neutrik RCA & XLR inputs, Neutrik TRS and 4pin XLR outputs, CNC Engraving, QQQ sockets, Alps Blue velvet pot, and high quality copper internal wiring.

Potential upgrade options include: Lundahl power transformer, Stepped Attenuator (e.g. Acoustic Dimension, Goldpoint, Khozmo, etc.), Kiwame power resistor upgrade, Vishay/Dale RN55/RN60 signal resistor upgrade, Supercharger capacitor upgrades, vibration isolation feet, tube socket upgrades, and RCA/XLR connector upgrades. VU Meters are also possible.

More Photos of BLUE HALO here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhVnwuC9Tp25vXdD8

If interested in a custom build, please contact for more details, pricing and build time.
Congrats Mischa & to the new soon-to-be-even-happier owner :wink:
It looks lovely and I am betting it sounds lovely too!

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #161 of 1,281
Cool! I'll be excited to read your experience with it.

im not an expert by any means... with that said.. i do believe listening music to any audio gear comes down to your personal preference. For me personaly,the main reason why i bought BLUE HALO is based on Mischa's description... and i cant wait to share my thoughts of BLUE HALO in the future...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #162 of 1,281
Congrats Mischa on the launch. The amp looks lovely.

So Blue Halo is OTL? There must be some neat tricks to get the output impedance down to something reasonable with that output stage.

If I had a crystal ball I would also guess that a version of this with OPTs to better suit low-Z headphones will land sooner or later too. :)

Jul 20, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #163 of 1,281
Congrats Mischa on the launch. The amp looks lovely.

So Blue Halo is OTL? There must be some neat tricks to get the output impedance down to something reasonable with that output stage.

Thank you fine sir! :) That's correct, OTL. Output impedance is in the realm of 20-30 ohm. Zero negative feedback design, pure class A. Supercharged driver tubes that determine all of the harmonics and tone of the output. The driver tube is the only gain stage and to top it off the signal passes through very few components. PSRR across the audioband of greater than -170dB gives a dead quiet background when using good tubes (non-noisy tubes).

If I had a crystal ball I would also guess that a version of this with OPTs to better suit low-Z headphones will land sooner or later too. :)

We'll see what comes down the road; between building amps and finishing off a PhD I'm pretty swamped at the moment :o2smile:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #165 of 1,281
im having a hard time finding a good cable for my headphone that will complement my future BLUE HALO and my ZMF VC.. anyone has any recommendation?
i am on the verge of getting silver or copper wire to upgrade from my stock cable, initially i was thinking of buying 2k copper / Verite 4 strand pure silver
(i bet zmf offers a very good silver and copper wires) but since it cost a fortune, i changed my mind and decide to find a 3rd party cable that sounds as good
or better than what ZMF offers but with a friendlier price tag ... Which leads me to my last question, what type of material is best for cables? do you think OCC
is good? im planning to go straight to end game :darthsmile:. Any suggestions, or better sharing links is favorable thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back