1101 Audio custom crafted headphone amps
Jul 10, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #121 of 1,281
I think I see what you're doing there in the GOTL with those tubes. Great tubes to have in the toolbelt for sure. I know @UntilThen liked them a lot as well before he went all sane on us and stopped tube rolling. I also have the more slender ST type and the more bulbous ST type.

I'd really like to hear the Tele EL11's in a circuit designed for them (which is certainly not my current amp). @whirlwind or @Zachik have you tried them in the GLE3N? @A2029 I presume they will work well as powers in the EL34/KT66 amp (with EL11 to EL34 adapters).

I know different manufacturers and years have different sonics, but at a very high-level In my amp I'm finding the following (from light/airy to oomph/bass). Oomph is a technical term btw.
76/6C5, 6J5, 6SL7, 6N7, EL11/EL3N. 6J5 being the most neutral. And as @mordy rightfully says "my amp, my gear, YMMV". I'm not even sure I should include the EL11/EL3N here as my amp certainly wasn't designed for them, and I'm fairly sure they would sound different in an amp designed for them.

Disclaimer: The 6SL7 and 6N7 have higher gain (certainly in my amp). My findings are far from scientific. I haven't done any measurements - apart from with my ears with multiple different sets of recordings. Possibly under the slight influence of a single malt or a vape with a live resin.

IMG_4760.jpg

I have not tried the EL11 in my SET amp, I would need EL3N to EL11 adapters.

I don't think I will be trying them as I am in the midst of upgrading my headphones and headphone cables and for once tubes or amps have not gotten in the way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #122 of 1,281
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #124 of 1,281
I'd really like to hear the Tele EL11's in a circuit designed for them (which is certainly not my current amp). @whirlwind or @Zachik have you tried them in the GLE3N? @A2029 I presume they will work well as powers in the EL34/KT66 amp (with EL11 to EL34 adapters).

IMG_4760.jpg

I'd likely need to implement some kind of biasing switch for the EL11 vs EL34/KT66 to have them both function at their optimal operating point (for most power/best sound).

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #125 of 1,281
Jul 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #126 of 1,281
I think I see what you're doing there in the GOTL with those tubes. Great tubes to have in the toolbelt for sure. I know @UntilThen liked them a lot as well before he went all sane on us and stopped tube rolling. I also have the more slender ST type and the more bulbous ST type.

I know different manufacturers and years have different sonics, but at a very high-level In my amp I'm finding the following (from light/airy to oomph/bass). Oomph is a technical term btw.
76/6C5, 6J5, 6SL7, 6N7, EL11/EL3N. 6J5 being the most neutral. And as @mordy rightfully says "my amp, my gear, YMMV". I'm not even sure I should include the EL11/EL3N here as my amp certainly wasn't designed for them, and I'm fairly sure they would sound different in an amp designed for them.

Disclaimer: The 6SL7 and 6N7 have higher gain (certainly in my amp). My findings are far from scientific. I haven't done any measurements - apart from with my ears with multiple different sets of recordings. Possibly under the slight influence of a single malt or a vape with a live resin.

IMG_4760.jpg

Beautiful tubes. I love the Telefunken logo, I think it is a masterwork of graphic design, very crisp on the left pair. I've had an interest in trying these tubes lately, your pic has pushed me over the edge, I'm buying a pair!

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #127 of 1,281
Absolute max heater current in his amp is a massive 20 amps, DC, fully regulated. Heck of a lot of heat and heavy iron - why his amp needs the separate power supply chassis.

Any idea of the output impedance Mischa with all six tubes in place?

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #128 of 1,281
Yes indeed there is.
Nice! As we are both fans of Audeze, I'd be very interested in your opinion on those. They definitely have my interest based upon what everyone else says about them. I had the Auteur for a while, but I think perhaps my expectations were too high, and so I sold them.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #129 of 1,281
Nice! As we are both fans of Audeze, I'd be very interested in your opinion on those. They definitely have my interest based upon what everyone else says about them. I had the Auteur for a while, but I think perhaps my expectations were too high, and so I sold them.
Im guessing you will like the VC with the Universe non-perf pads. It makes the VC warmer and with more bass at the cost of some staging width,depth and height.
I personally prefer the auteur non perf pads,which make the VC sound most closely to the auteur,which i also sold.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #130 of 1,281
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #132 of 1,281
Beautiful tubes. I love the Telefunken logo, I think it is a masterwork of graphic design, very crisp on the left pair. I've had an interest in trying these tubes lately, your pic has pushed me over the edge, I'm buying a pair!

I shouldn't have hesitated, someone beat me to this nice pair of Tele's. The seller is a Head-Fier, I PM'd him to see if I could save him eBay fees, too slow :frowning2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114270259204

I am bidding on these Valvos, you've been warned!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313129349252

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #133 of 1,281
I know @UntilThen liked them a lot as well before he went all sane on us and stopped tube rolling. I also have the more slender ST type and the more bulbous ST type.

I'd really like to hear the Tele EL11's in a circuit designed for them (which is certainly not my current amp).

So would I love to hear the EL11, EL12, EL12 spez in an amp designed for them. Someday when I become insane again, I'll pull out those Telefunken and Siemen tubes and get an amp build for it. :)

EL11 as drivers and EL12 spez as powers. :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #134 of 1,281
I shouldn't have hesitated, someone here beat me to this nice pair of Tele's. The seller is a Head-Fier, I PM'd him to see if I could save him eBay fees, too slow :frowning2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114270259204

I am bidding on these Valvos, you've been warned!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313129349252

Lovely tubes. I have 4 pairs of those in Telefunken and Siemens branding. 3 other pairs in some other branding. I first heard these tubes in Felix Audio Elise tube amp .... in an amp that wasn't supposed to be able to run them but they show great potential and sounded great. Imagine in an amp specially designed to run these tubes.

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #135 of 1,281
Lovely tubes. I have 4 pairs of those in Telefunken and Siemens branding. 3 other pairs in some other branding. I first heard these tubes in Felix Audio Elise tube amp .... in an amp that wasn't supposed to be able to run them but they show great potential and sounded great. Imagine in an amp specially designed to run these tubes.

The EL11 at least are equivalent to the EL3, with the proper adapter they should be able to be run optimally in Glenn's EL3N amp. I do wonder how the EL12 sound, I have never come across triode curves for them. You will have to let us know if that amp is built :) with the high gain of the EL11, I think they would be fun to try in a little "spud" parafeed amplifier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back