Jan 25, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
i was talking about this with someone yesterday.. i've not managed to do any googling on it but i'm sure i read or saw a programme once that suggested tinnitus in the long term sense was purely psychological.. that they'd struggled to measure any actual physical effects to listening to moderate to loud music... i always imagined the hairs in the inner ear falling off, but this to a point happens anyways with hearing loss that happens due to age!?

One key part was a study where they put a group of people into chambers that were perfectly silent.. they left them there and then had them answer what they could hear.. most could hear ringing in the ears against such a quiet backdrop.

The point being that our ears are ringing all the time, its just our brain is very good at filtering out what it doesn't want to hear.. ie. one all head-fi-ers practice, that of listening in on a particular component of music, or a voice in a group conversation.

I guess short term ringing from concert level noise is clearly evident and due to some short term stress on the ear.. perhaps long term tinnitus is spawned from such events as the person noticing the louder ringing and then can't filter it out, or forget it.

Anyone ever read anything into this!?

Another friend even suggested that he'd read/heard that people in very quiet areas, rural silence.. actually lose their hearing worst because almost like with old age and not using areas of the brain they're just not used to processing loud noises or any noises and their brain's ability to do so gets steadily worse over the years... This was his excuse when i was trying to get him to buy some ety ear plugs for concert use..

Just quite interested, i will try to google on it when i have the chance..

Here are some facts about tinnitus.

Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears can be either temporary or permanent. When it is temporary, it can last anywhere from a few seconds to weeks. It is not a real sound, but a "phantom" sound sometimes caused by damage to the otic nerve or the inner ear.

The sounds heard have been described as crickets, whooshing, pulsing, ocean waves, buzzing, and even music!

Tinnitus can accompany noise induced hearing loss.

Tinnitus can be caused by excess wax in the ear canal, medications, sinus and ear infections, TMJ and other jaw misalignment problems, tumors, and head and jaw trauma.

Pulsatile tinnitis (the type where you hear pulsing sounds) are usually caused by or accompany cardiovascular disease or diabetes.

Nowhere have I ever read that it is caused by absence of sound!

There may be a genetic predisposition to tinnitus.

From the American Tinnitus Association:
Quote:

Tinnitus, the perception of sound in the absence of an acoustic stimulus, is a significant problem in the United States that affects more than one third of the population and is the most commonly referred otological problem. In light of recent studies implicating increased spontaneous activity in specific brain regions, testable hypotheses that address the underlying mechanisms of tinnitus can be posed. The studies proposed here will provide key insights into the mechanisms underlying central tinnitus and provide a basis for future studies to develop methods and interventions to prevent, treat, or cure central tinnitus.

For more information go to: http://www.ata.org/

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #17 of 38
As to whether you can get tinnitus at 19, here is the answer:

http://www.ata.org/about_tinnitus/consumer/faq.html#5
Quote:

Do children get tinnitus?
Tinnitus does not discriminate: people of all ages experience tinnitus. However, tinnitus is not a common complaint from children. Children with tinnitus are less likely than adults to report their experience, in part because children with tinnitus are statistically more likely to have been born with hearing loss. They may not notice or be bothered by their tinnitus because they have experienced it their entire lives.

Children, like people of all ages, can be at risk for tinnitus if they are exposed to loud noises. Recreational events like fairs or car races or sports games can all include high-decibels activities that can damage kids' ears. Hearing protection is always recommended, as is a discussion about the danger of loud noises and the choices kids have to turn it down or walk away.

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 38
I have a random ringing in my ears too. Now I listen to music at low volumes. The problem is really noticeable anymore.

I still see people who listen full blast with headphones, I wish they knew what they were getting themselves into. It ain't worth it. Besides at low volumes, music sounds better. Less perceived brightness and crap. (unless you're listening to rock, ya needs ta crank it!)

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #19 of 38
I am still clueless as to whether I have tinnitus or not. I listen to my music at insanely low levels, yet if I listen to closed heaphones for a long periods of time, I start to notice a slight ringing when everything is quite. I wonder if just having constant stimulus on the ear can cause minor(potentially temporary, I haven't not listened to my headphones everyday for awhile now) tinnitus.
hmmm...

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #20 of 38
It might be a result of the weight of the headphones or the pressure on the ears that are causing the tinnitus. Try canal phones if you can put up with them. I've been using those and I haven't had any episolds of tinnitus since then.

Jan 25, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 38
my fren,i had tinitus since the age of 13.it just came in one fine morning and screwed my life forever.But now i am living with it so no worries then,it just nicely screwes my life up sometimes.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #24 of 38
After reading the ER4P horror story thread and someone mentioned that most head-fiers will be partially deaf i five years, I started listening to music at lowwer volumes. I really want to still have good hearing in college.

But good luck Sduibek; it sounds like your condition is not too serious.

Jan 30, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #25 of 38
I've had tinnitis as long as I can remember (I'd bring it up at doctor's appointments in Kindergarten, and be pissed when they'd say that there was nothing they could do). I had gotten used to it over the years until just last month...

My band had a show in Houston, TX and after getting everything moved out onstage and ready to go, I forgot the most important component of my equipment -- my earplugs. This was a huge mistake as afterwards I slowly began to realize that either I had caused hearing damage and increased the volume of my tinnitis or I had just increased the volume of my tinnitis in general. I really regret forgetting my plugs that night. It basically set me back 18 years because now I'm having to re-acustom myself to the new volume of tinnitis. It doesn't really interfere with my headphone/audio appreciation abilities as far as listening goes, but when it's relatively quiet and/or when there are certain electronics on it is quite loud. Needless to say, I plan on wearing plugs at any live event I go to in the future. I've never seen a proper audiologist in regards to my tinnitis before, but I've just made an appointment to go sometime within the next week or so.

Like I said, I'm only 18 years old, I've had tinnitis my whole life, AND I've just recently made it worse. YES you can get tinnitis at any age and YES you must be careful about any loud environments you put yourself in, especially if you already have permanent tinnitis. Once it's there, it's easier to make things worse and the only way it can go is up.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #26 of 38
I've had tinnitus in my left ear for about 4 years now.

Note: Don't operate firearms with a solid barricade to one side of you.
icon10.gif
The sound will reflect off and it will cause damage, even with foamies stuck in your ear. Living proof of that right here. =P

A day with a Glock 23 and 250 rounds of .40 S&W, and this is what happens to me...
rolleyes.gif
At least my ear wasn't bleeding. But it was hurting pretty damn bad!

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
After reading the ER4P horror story thread and someone mentioned that most head-fiers will be partially deaf i five years, I started listening to music at lowwer volumes. I really want to still have good hearing in college.

But good luck Sduibek; it sounds like your condition is not too serious.

What's the title of this thread? I'd like to read it.

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Note: Don't operate firearms with a solid barricade to one side of you. The sound will reflect off and it will cause damage, even with foamies stuck in your ear. Living proof of that right here. =P A day with a Glock 23 and 250 rounds of .40 S&W, and this is what happens to me... At least my ear wasn't bleeding. But it was hurting pretty damn bad!

Ouch... at least thats what element of potential tinnitus that we'll be mostly clear of... not a lot of people have guns in the UK.. in fact i dont think i really know anyone who has.. having had such little experience with them i really can't appreciate them, loudness etc. i guess a good HT setup played loud could approximate it with a good film for well recorded gunfire.. Heat perhaps?

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 38
I'm 22 and have had it as long as I can remember. No idea what, if anything, caused it for me. It's pretty mild, and doesn't generally bug me since I usually have some sort of background noise drowning it out (I turn on music when I wake up, and I turn it of when I go to bed. When I leave the house, I take music with me.
smily_headphones1.gif
). I didn't even realize I had it for a long time, until a while back when I came across some info on it and realized, "so THAT'S what that stupid noise is!". Luckily it's never been detrimental to my hearing in any way and it doesn't bother me. At this point I think pure silence would drive me nuts.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back