Jan 30, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I've had tinnitus in my left ear for about 4 years now.

Note: Don't operate firearms with a solid barricade to one side of you.
icon10.gif
The sound will reflect off and it will cause damage, even with foamies stuck in your ear. Living proof of that right here. =P

A day with a Glock 23 and 250 rounds of .40 S&W, and this is what happens to me...
rolleyes.gif
At least my ear wasn't bleeding. But it was hurting pretty damn bad!

yeah i remeber going to shoot my ruger, there was a guy at the lodge with a 50 Cal revolver (i have no ide what make it was) the muzzel flash was huge! i gould see it from my divider, easily a foot and a half. antother thing was that there is one booth at the lodge with a door. when evr he fired this gun, if you stoof infront of the closed door you could feel the shockwave hit ya. it was a very cool expirience

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
yeah i remeber going to shoot my ruger, there was a guy at the lodge with a 50 Cal revolver (i have no ide what make it was) the muzzel flash was huge! i gould see it from my divider, easily a foot and a half. antother thing was that there is one booth at the lodge with a door. when evr he fired this gun, if you stoof infront of the closed door you could feel the shockwave hit ya. it was a very cool expirience

I've had the occasion to use a Desert Eagle .50 A&E. I only fired it once, and after I got back on my feet, vowed never to shoot anything larger than a .40 ever again.
icon10.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #33 of 38
I think you have far more serious problems than permanent hearing loss if you are attempting to commit suicide.

As for your question: yes, it's possible to develop tinnitus or severe hearing loss at an early age. However, without a doctor's diagnosis, it's impossible for us to determine the extent of the damage.

See the doctor and listen to what he has to say.

On another note, if you're trying to kill yourself, you won't be around to enjoy your hearing or any other form of sensory perception, for that matter.

I'd closely examine my value system if I were you; right now, your behavior is rife with contradictions that ought to be resolved decisively.

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
Ouch... at least thats what element of potential tinnitus that we'll be mostly clear of... not a lot of people have guns in the UK.. in fact i dont think i really know anyone who has.. having had such little experience with them i really can't appreciate them, loudness etc. i guess a good HT setup played loud could approximate it with a good film for well recorded gunfire.. Heat perhaps?

Target shooting is one of my pass times, in the UK private ownership of the types of pistol aeriyn mentions was prohibited in 1997
mad.gif
mad.gif
but I have many fond memories of shooting them.
They are VERY loud , especially in an enclosed space such as an indoor range
or shooting 'booth' good hearing protection is a must not a luxury!
In some situations the use of in ear plugs and circumaural ear defenders
is best.
When one considers that with some pistols it is possible to have enough gas pressure accelerate a bullet from 0-mach 1+ in 8inches of tube it becomes easy to imagine that there will a considerable shock wave at the muzzle of the pistol when the 'cork pops' !

I have only experienced the sound of small arms , my mind boggles to imagine
the shock wave generated by large field artillery pieces or Naval guns.
eek.gif

Setmenu

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
Ouch... at least thats what element of potential tinnitus that we'll be mostly clear of... not a lot of people have guns in the UK.. in fact i dont think i really know anyone who has.. having had such little experience with them i really can't appreciate them, loudness etc. i guess a good HT setup played loud could approximate it with a good film for well recorded gunfire.. Heat perhaps?

Actually, the movie that has the most realistic rifle sounds that I've seen/heard is Heat. Up close, gunfire is not that deep low drawn out boom that you hear in most movies or video games. It's mostly a feeling of sharp pressure, a loud and quick crack, along with a low report. Still, HT can't replicate the feeling of a firearm because you can feel the pressure wave from the escaping gases and if you're the shooter you can usually hear the mechanism of the gun operating as well. Pistols, outdoors at least, have a pop sound to them, but indoors in an enclosed range they're pretty loud.

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #37 of 38
*carefully removes the telarc recording of 1812 overture from his ipod*

i got scared straight. no more "testing the boundaries of bass" for me- i'm damn lucky i dont have tinnitus yet!

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

i got scared straight. no more "testing the boundaries of bass" for me- i'm damn lucky i dont have tinnitus yet!

you ARE funny
icon10.gif

that disc is and has always been meant more for testing the limits of equipment than it is for musical appreciation...and with headphones
eek.gif

if you shine a light on the side of your head can a person on the other side do shadow puppets ?

just kiddin; man,don't get snarly
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back