~$1000 USD good looking amplifier for the K1000/K3000
Aug 8, 2005 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi again.

Throw all amplifier suggestions in the $1000 USD range which synergize well with the K1000/K3000 here. Good looks are a MUST!

(Raptor is what I'm thinking of right now, but that's a little over my budget and will take a while to save up for)

Thank you. :)

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Hi again.

Throw all amplifier suggestions in the $1000 USD range which synergize well with the K1000/K3000 here. Good looks are a MUST!

(Raptor is what I'm thinking of right now, but that's a little over my budget and will take a while to save up for)

Thank you. :)

Also, isn't the Raptor $1000?

-Matt

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Also, isn't the Raptor $1000?

-Matt

It is $1175 + shipping.

The thing wrong with me is.. upgraditis.

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 35
how about the wooaudio4? I was told by Dr. Woo's asistant that they would be priced at around 1k-1.3k...and they're def one of the best looking...and looks really solid, search it on her

Aug 8, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawainpanda
how about the wooaudio4? I was told by Dr. Woo's asistant that they would be priced at around 1k-1.3k...and they're def one of the best looking...and looks really solid, search it on her

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Definitely a contender.. if it's at around $1k, that is (not $1.3k). :).

Wonder how it performs..

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 35
Awok, I sympathize with your condition, I too am never happy and I am always looking for the next best thing
icon10.gif
. I am already looking to upgrade my amp and I have only bought my earmax pro this month.

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 35
The Raptor is an excellent choice for the Raptor. However, imo to use the K1000 as they were meant to be used, I would suggest 2 amps, both under your budget. They are the Sophia Electric Baby Amp and EL34. You would use the speaker terminals in these amps. They both are listed on audiogon at the moment. They are not headphone amps. You can use them with the K1000 and speakers. You would still need a headphone amp for your other cans, if you have any.

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 35
hmm "I do not know what is wrong with you mon, but whatever it is, it is not a small thing" - Cool Runnings

Option 1.
pabbi says the m³ at 30v doesn't drive the k1000s with enough punch. Voltage swing is the issue I'd think. I've been looking into this issue and have come up with a few solutions to it - the key one is the borbely mosfet regulator that can supply up to 40v per rail, abeit more expensive than a steps.

http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb202254.asp , a diyer would still need to make a (nice) rectifier to feed it, but I think that if you were to set the power supply to 38V(as there's a 2.8v drop across the circuit), plugged in some opa637s/627s, you'd have an amp that could swing from the rafters, voltage wise. Couple this with 2 inch mosfet heatsinks, with high mosfet bias current, say 120mA, and you'd have a really nice solid state class A amp for them.

Option 2.
Borbely has a mosfet amp (completely solid state) and a hybrid amp(tube/mosfet), both designed for headphones:
http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb602210.asp
http://www.borbelyaudio.com/eb804421.asp

Both can handle 24+- supplies V and should be more than capable of powering a pair of K1000s with authority. One of these combined with the aformentioned regulator, combined with appropriate rectifier/transformer would certainly drive the K1000 with authority.
I think this would fit in your budget.

Just opening up the page for ideas
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and iagaudio.com has some nice cases you could stuff those in..

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 35
Fortunately, I am perfectly perfectly elated with my headphone rig. The speaker rig is under improvement and will be completed by this weekend.

Upgraditis.... its a crazy thing!

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
The Raptor is an excellent choice for the Raptor. However, imo to use the K1000 as they were meant to be used, I would suggest 2 amps, both under your budget. They are the Sophia Electric Baby Amp and EL34. You would use the speaker terminals in these amps. They both are listed on audiogon at the moment. They are not headphone amps. You can use them with the K1000 and speakers. You would still need a headphone amp for your other cans, if you have any.

I will need a 1/4" input, as I do not wish for my K3000s to be terminated with speaker terminals.

I was thinking that the Raptor might be a good choice.. since it is a K3000 instead of a K1000 afterall.

I'll have to salvage some cash.. hmm. Where to get $300..

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I will need a 1/4" input, as I do not wish for my K3000s to be terminated with speaker terminals.

I was thinking that the Raptor might be a good choice.. since it is a K3000 instead of a K1000 afterall.

I'll have to salvage some cash.. hmm. Where to get $300..

Good point. I was happy with the Raptor driving them with 1/4 input.

Aug 9, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Good point. I was happy with the Raptor driving them with 1/4 input.

Actually.. right now it's a tossup between tkam's Dynahi and the Raptor. Both look equally competent.. especially the Dynahi at $950 (I wouldn't have to put up any extra $).

Hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back