$1000 headphones really worth all that money?
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #46 of 124
  Oh I think it is a universal rule, at the end of the day the majority of people will prefer a balanced sound over an un balanced one.

Who stated that perfection meant balanced sound? I didn't. Majority of people I know and enjoy music don't need "perfect" equipment. The question here is 300$ vs 1000$, not 10$ vs 1000$. I honestly think we have to be crazy expecting that at this level equipment will hamper your enjoyment. I can enjoy music on my 10$ ear-buds just as well. Sometimes. Sometimes not. Could make an exception here for larger scale Classical music ... maybe.
But the devil is in the details. Language is soft and bendable ... words are easily interpreted this or other way. If you are in pursuit for better sound ... than I can agree. If you just want to enjoy music, than it is better you don't even think about equipment.
Sooner or later you will loose a lot of time and money searching for better HPs and reading forums. There is not much time to listen to music even without that :wink:

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #47 of 124
Even if a headphone was perfect, it could still have a different presentation from other headphones (fast vs slow).
It could be an intense sounding headphone that would make genres like reggae or country seem a bit bizarre to listen to.

So if the presentation of the headphone matches your listening habits at the time, you've found the best price to performance for you at that time.

Which is why it's wise to narrow down your listening taste down to a few genres that you listen to regularly when asking for advice for headphones.
As your music collection grows and as your genre tastes change you may need to change your gear, but some $200 headphones can keep you amazed with the 1-2 genres you listen to most.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #48 of 124
No it doesn't. Maybe for you, but it is hardly a universal rule. And there is no such a thing as perfect headphones.
wink.gif

Maybe, one day, you will find a perfect pair too, with perfect synergy with amplifier and source. 
smily_headphones1.gif

No compromises, just pure musical enjoyment. That's the LCD2 I've got. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #49 of 124
  Even if a headphone was perfect, it could still have a different presentation from other headphones (fast vs slow).
It could be an intense sounding headphone that would make genres like reggae or country seem a bit bizarre to listen to.

So if the presentation of the headphone matches your listening habits at the time, you've found the best price to performance for you at that time.

Which is why it's wise to narrow down your listening taste down to a few genres that you listen to regularly when asking for advice for headphones.
As your music collection grows and as your genre tastes change you may need to change your gear, but some $200 headphones can keep you amazed with the 1-2 genres you listen to most.

That is a good advice!

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #51 of 124
I don't think it's worth it. IEM's and speakers are the way to go for me. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #53 of 124
tbh now that i have 1k plus headphones i really wouldn't mind with a HD650 plus O2 combo..... I think unless you are going for like perfection this is all you need. Its got good sound stage, good mid good high good bass, LIGHT weight(compared to lcd and etc),comfort and volume. If a non audiophile ask me what they should get this would be my recommendation highest performance/dollar.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #54 of 124
  tbh now that i have 1k plus headphones i really wouldn't mind with a HD650 plus O2 combo..... I think unless you are going for like perfection this is all you need. Its got good sound stage, good mid good high good bass, LIGHT weight(compared to lcd and etc),comfort and volume. If a non audiophile ask me what they should get this would be my recommendation highest performance/dollar.

Yea, that's true. You can enjoy music perfectly fine with HD650's. I mean, let's not forget that 4-5 years ago they were THE headphone, probably the best on the market if we take Stax out of the equation, because they were VERY exotic stuff back then. Let's also not forget that at the time, 400-500 dollars was considered very expensive for headphones, that was the high-end, while today, we consider anything under 1000 dollars mid-end. Point being...even though, because of major changes on the market, our view of headphones changed drastically, the neurophysiology of our hearing is identical...what sounded excellent 5 years ago and made peoples jaws drop still sounds excellent today, despite the fact that there are products out there that sound slightly better.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #55 of 124
  Yea, that's true. You can enjoy music perfectly fine with HD650's. I mean, let's not forget that 4-5 years ago they were THE headphone, probably the best on the market if we take Stax out of the equation, because they were VERY exotic stuff back then. Let's also not forget that at the time, 400-500 dollars was considered very expensive for headphones, that was the high-end, while today, we consider anything under 1000 dollars mid-end. Point being...even though, because of major changes on the market, our view of headphones changed drastically, the neurophysiology of our hearing is identical...what sounded excellent 5 years ago and made peoples jaws drop still sounds excellent today, despite the fact that there are products out there that sound slightly better.

Also not counting the Sennheiser Orpheus (HE 90 electrostatic headphones + HEV 90 amplifier, which retailed at $12,900 in the early '90s and is now occasionally listed on eBay for up to $40K!) and a few dozen other exotic models.
tongue.gif

I know a guy who claims to enjoy music more with some of the cheapest equipment in the world, even though he owns STAX gear.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #56 of 124
  Compromise is always there, if you want to see it. It is better if you don't though.

In theory there are tradeoffs, but in practice - not so much. And that's what you pay for at the higher end. You aren't reminded all the time of that this or that should sound better - it all sounds pretty much great all over. If you get the synergy right of course.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #57 of 124

In theory there are tradeoffs, but in practice - not so much. And that's what you pay for at the higher end. You aren't reminded all the time of that this or that should sound better - it all sounds pretty much great all over. If you get the synergy right of course.

Why? Do you have some sort of supervisor who bothers you with notion that things should be better ... while listening? You should fire him immediately :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #58 of 124
I honestly think there's a lot to buying $1000 headphones, other than their sound quality. Especially on places like head-fi. No one wants to get left behind, and for some it's bragging rights. The notion that somehow the enjoyment of music lies within the price tag is ridiculous. The enjoyment of wearing headphones on the other hand might increase with the price, knowing that $1000 headphones are on the top of your head may make you happy or proud.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with your headphones for whatever reason regardless of the price, then that's a good thing. Enjoy.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #59 of 124

Wanted to emphasize that, because synergy can be quite tricky sometimes.

Why? Do you have some sort of supervisor who bothers you with notion that things should be better ... while listening? You should fire him immediately :)

Perfect world: fire your boss, free perfect headphones for everyone!
biggrin.gif

lol. Can you imagine what the world would be like if headphones were subsidized instead of natural resources?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back