$1000 Headphones + Amp budget. Any recommendations?
May 3, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 36
I think the AFC are great headphones but the cable is cumbersome... way too long and thick when using it outside. You could get an aftermarket one but that'll add to your cost.

Have a look at Campfire Cascade. It runs fine from a phone and if you get a better amp or dac, it scales very well. It's main issue is the narrow earcups can be uncomfortable on big ears, so best to try before buying.

Will try it out this weekend. Comfort does seem to be an issue over the board, but sound quality seems to be bang on. Impedence is double of the Aeons will see how both of them run off the phone this weekend.

Edit: Forgot about first part of message. Did notice the long and cumbersome cable. Any cable reccomendations for the Aeons in that case?

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #17 of 36
Will try it out this weekend. Comfort does seem to be an issue over the board, but sound quality seems to be bang on. Impedence is double of the Aeons will see how both of them run off the phone this weekend.

Edit: Forgot about first part of message. Did notice the long and cumbersome cable. Any cable reccomendations for the Aeons in that case?
Don't get too hung up with the impedance... AFO and AFC need an amp despite low impedance because they have low sensitivity... both sound limp out of my phone. Cascade has a higher sensitivity so performs better as a portable if you just use your phone. It's 38 ohm impedance is still considered low. It's compelling because it is also takes advantage of better sources when listening on a desktop setup.

Regarding cables, I don't have aftermarket ones for my AFO so I can't really recommend any in particular

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #18 of 36
I would just like to make a suggestion: if you don't really know what a DAC/Amp are doing for your headphones then I think it's probably a mistake to jump right in with a $1300 spend with the idea that you'll suddenly have this magic setup. The key realisation about hifi audio for me is that it's most definitely a subjective journey. What you want to do is figure out what sort of sound you like. Do you dig the bass, or do you love the feeling of clarity that comes with great treble? Are you into vocals, do you like fun music, or do you like utterly re vealing? I think if you spend right out of the gate you need to be prepared for the idea that you're going to probably change your mind about what you like in the future, so you'll end up spending more in a relatively short period of time.

I started out with an aune x1s ($250) DAC/Amp combo and a pair of Beyer T90s ($300) - it's very neutral, a little bright, but introduces you to clarity and some wider soundstage. If you swap out the T90s for the Meze Neo's I think you'd also have something really worth listening too.

For there you've got $450-750 to take your next step. If you're liking that current sound of your headphones then you'll want to work on your amp setup, or progress down the neutral headphone route into the expensive stuff (Aune X1S -> Hugo2 for example, or T90s to T1m2, or across to Senn for the 800S). But you can also switch up and try something more warm or bass heavy, something more fun. There's so many headphones to try, and there's the whole dac/amp world to explore. I love my Elears and TH-X00PH, and getting into tube amps has made for some wonderful experiences. Now I switch headphones around depending on what sort of music I listen too and it makes the hobby more fun :)

I've got a Mojo, for example, and I think it's better than the Aune, but it's a PITA to have on my desk all day (small and wobbles about, requires charging, gets hot, volume buttons annoying, some format problems) and since I got a decent DAP it's just something I don't use much anymore - because it's really not great portable from a phone as a source, cables wobbling, charge issues, heat etc. It was a bad buy for me - I should have spent time with some cheaper stuff, then bounced straight to just using a chord DAC for a better Amp.

That said, if I had to maximise $1300 for utter enjoyment then i think the best combo of the gear I have would be trying to land some b-stock Campfire Andromedas and put them through a Sony zx300a (you need to order from China). Should come in right on the money, if you're lucky with the b-stock or second hand, and the sound is amazing from that combo. The Andros are IEMs but I find it hard to say enough good about them for their price. And the ZX300A (without the A it's much more expensive) is a steal for the money.

I guess the tl;dr is: don't spend the money all at once because you'll probably change your mind, or at least want to explore, as you grow into the hobby :)

Hey mate,

Sorry for the late reply, but nevertheless, thank you so much. I've only occasionally used amps for my headphones because I'm travelling quite a fair bit. I been using the audioquest dragonfly, the tiny usb amp with se215/535s along with sony mdrx 1000s. Now, I'm settling down a bit but still travelling occasionally so i want something with better SQ.

The biggest qualm about my 215 and 535s are the mmcx connectors that break too often due to heavy usage. The sony mdrs are great headphones to fly with but they have average SQ. So I'm lookibg to stay away from IEMs now for something more solid.

I've been considering the Meze 99 neos and the PM3 side by side and find that they are really good, but the Aeons Closed and the P9 are on another level altogether. I've yet to try the T50ps 2 gen yet which a user here recommended. Heard they are easy to run out of a smartphone which is a huge plus.

Interesting on how you said the Chords were a biy clunky to handle. I was looking to get the Mojo to run the Aeons but I'm thinking otherwise now. Which portable amp would you recommend to run the Aeons? They have really low impedence but its sensitivity ( Thanks @onevstheworld) means it can't be run out of a smartphone to its full potential.

That said, how are the elears? Heard the Aeons could be close to their SQ from reviews. And I'll still take a look at the campfire adros.

Thanks again mate

May 5, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 36
It is, at the time I had an alpha dog, C5D couldnt drive those, the sound stage is really immersive too, bass is very well define, but C5D had "Fun bass", instrumental seperation were very well define

Noted. Will try the Aeons and P9s with the C5Ds tomorrow. The Aeons seem to have much lower impedence than the Alpha Dogs from specs.

May 5, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #20 of 36
If you check out slick deals right now you can get the HiFiMan HE-560 for a shockingly low $319 (new + balanced cable) on a retailer that sounds like adore mama (not sure if we're allowed to link). That leaves a lot of room for a great amp. I have the iFi iDSD and iCan Pro. You could do a used iCan and have an endgame amp with great set of cans. Or get the iFi iDSD black label (or new DSDx) for less than a grand total!

Wtfff, that like more than 50% off. Pity deal already expired. A bit skeptical abput build quality of Hifiman and Audeze headphone. Mate and online reviews aren't particularly positive about their durability. Will try it out soon nonetheless.

Any portable amps you'd recommend? Your amps seem really expensive and endgame type hahah.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #21 of 36
For me this would be an easy choice: ZMF Blackwood and Chord Mojo. I was on a quest to find the best closed back headphone for me, and the Blackwood won it by a mile. The Beyers are too bright/strident and thin sounding, the Ether-C was good but sounded a bit sterile to me and thin at times. The Audeze EL-8 had acceptable sonic character but did not impress me technically. The Audio Technica ATH-W1000Z is one of the worst $100+ headphones I have ever heard.

The ZMF Blackwood is unusually well rounded for all types of music; very few headphones can be so good at delivering delicious planar bass extension and impact that you can't get anywhere else, while having such clean treble which in itself is a very rare quality for any headphone. The Blackwood can play complex classical music without getting confused, thanks to proper instrument separation and surprisingly good imaging; so few closed back headphones can do this, and again even fewer can do this as well as have this kind of bass and such a wonderful mid range with excellent vocals. On top of that, it is extremely comfortable and well built (older versions were less comfortable due to weight, but now they have a suspension headband that offsets that).

Wow, thanks for the reply. Have never even heard of ZMF carrying these before. Only their open headphones. Will give them a try. Have you tried the Aeons in comparison to these? And when you said the Ethers sounded thin, what did you mean by that?

May 5, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #22 of 36
Don't get too hung up with the impedance... AFO and AFC need an amp despite low impedance because they have low sensitivity... both sound limp out of my phone. Cascade has a higher sensitivity so performs better as a portable if you just use your phone. It's 38 ohm impedance is still considered low. It's compelling because it is also takes advantage of better sources when listening on a desktop setup.

Regarding cables, I don't have aftermarket ones for my AFO so I can't really recommend any in particular

Happy to lug around a portable amp. Haven't had the opportunity to try out the Cashcade yet. Any reason you have the AFO over the cashcades now?

May 5, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 36
Wow, thanks for the reply. Have never even heard of ZMF carrying these before. Only their open headphones. Will give them a try. Have you tried the Aeons in comparison to these? And when you said the Ethers sounded thin, what did you mean by that?

Unfortunately I did not try the Aeons. The Ether-C had far less body and weight in the bass region (as expected), and to my ears a bit less in the mids as well (likely the result of the weaker bass). Percussion instruments sound smaller and weaker out of the Ether-C compared to the Blackwood, the same for vocals but to a lesser degree.

May 5, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 36
Happy to lug around a portable amp. Haven't had the opportunity to try out the Cashcade yet. Any reason you have the AFO over the cashcades now?
I owned the AFO before the Cascade was released, but I probably wouldn't have bought Cascade anyway. Despite the sound, the earpads are too narrow for my ears... squeezed my ears like an on-ears, I hate that feeling.

May 5, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #25 of 36
I myself didn’t care for the Cascade all that much good headphone but not what I like would also pic the the Aeon open or closed . Didn’t spend a lot of time with it just didn’t appeal to me. To be honest amps play a big part in how some headphones sound. Some can sound good out of a phone but with a little extra juice can be something totally different. Case in point sort of one poster said the Ether-C’s sounded thin and without body , from my Amps and Sound Kenzie they are full of body but still not bass heavy but great in detail and separation and soundstage and rich in sound probably would not sound that way from say a O2 amp I’m sure. I think most headphones sound better with a amp but some are fine without it but better with a amp. Most headphones are a trade off from one thing or another. No perfect one . Good portable amp/dac Chord Mojo . Very good at most everything and will drive a good amount of headphones well. Really sweet with the HD-800’s from a iPad with Tidal.

May 6, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 36
Unfortunately I did not try the Aeons. The Ether-C had far less body and weight in the bass region (as expected), and to my ears a bit less in the mids as well (likely the result of the weaker bass). Percussion instruments sound smaller and weaker out of the Ether-C compared to the Blackwood, the same for vocals but to a lesser degree.

Noted. Will try it with different amps and see if i can bass boost them if needed. Will still have to go out and find a blackwood to listen to, they're so rare!

May 6, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 36
I owned the AFO before the Cascade was released, but I probably wouldn't have bought Cascade anyway. Despite the sound, the earpads are too narrow for my ears... squeezed my ears like an on-ears, I hate that feeling.

I have medium ears, will give them a try. Will also enquire if earpads can be swapped out if needed to. Any portable amps that support the AFO well though?

May 6, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #28 of 36
I myself didn’t care for the Cascade all that much good headphone but not what I like would also pic the the Aeon open or closed . Didn’t spend a lot of time with it just didn’t appeal to me. To be honest amps play a big part in how some headphones sound. Some can sound good out of a phone but with a little extra juice can be something totally different. Case in point sort of one poster said the Ether-C’s sounded thin and without body , from my Amps and Sound Kenzie they are full of body but still not bass heavy but great in detail and separation and soundstage and rich in sound probably would not sound that way from say a O2 amp I’m sure. I think most headphones sound better with a amp but some are fine without it but better with a amp. Most headphones are a trade off from one thing or another. No perfect one . Good portable amp/dac Chord Mojo . Very good at most everything and will drive a good amount of headphones well. Really sweet with the HD-800’s from a iPad with Tidal.

Yeah loving the positive reviews on the Mojos so far. Will check them out with the AFCs soon. Only problem is that they stretch the budget quite a bit more. Any other portable amps i should look at, if i go with the AFCs?

May 7, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #29 of 36
The mojo is a very good Amp/Dac combo, on the warmer side and very detailled.
You're on the right way.
The PM3 is very neutral and the Aeon closed to,
if you like a more analytical sound, you will like them. The Beyerdynamic has the typical peak, not as strong as the DT990 or T1, but still a little bit, not my taste.
Never heard the AFC's, but I'm shure they're good.

May 7, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 36
I wouldn't get the Mojo.. The major selling point was size, and it isn't that special in that regard anymore. The sound was okay (certainly not the transcendental experience many claim to have with it and the Hugo), but I spent half of what a Mojo costs on and was equally happy with a desktop combo. (Modi 2+Vali 1) I will say the build quality on the Mojo is impressive, but I didn't need to pay 400+ dollars for a sturdy aluminum box.
If you want portable, I think ifi just released a similar unit for about $50 less: The xDSD. But that's only if you need a discrete amp/dac. Don't forget you'll still need the digital media player to go to the amp/dac. A solid DAP could do a lot of what you're looking for in one unit: store and play music, and provide a decent amp section. Like the Cayin N3 or Hifiman SuperMini or MegaMini.

Also, if you are looking into isolation, a lot of these open back options don't seem like safe bets. AFO, LCD2C and Hifiman 560 are open back, and will leak sound. Not to say the sound quality is bad, but they probably aren't the best choices for your application.

I'm pretty happy with the PSB M4u8/NAD Viso HP70 in terms of sound, but the earcup is tiny bit tight. But even with ANC off, they isolate more than one would think. I would think the ATH m40x and Sennheiser HD25-1 ii would also be in that camp. I've only heard the Meze's in a loud conference hall, so I couldn't say whether they isolate bad or it was just a poor environment to begin with, but I found them pleasant enough to listen too. I'm not a fan of the T5p, I think they sound a bit hollow, with a v-curve that seems unnatural to my ears. I'm a bit wary of Oppo, just because of the bankruptcy. They claim they'll keep supporting their products, but I don't know how long that will go on for.

I'm still a bit confused as to the actual "use case scenario." Are you going to be listening to and wearing these while physically mobile, or do they merely need to pack small so that you can unpack and use them in a hotel room?
The recommendations would be significantly different if, for example, you had to wear these out in the heat, while walking for 30+ minutes, as opposed to sitting in a car or shuttle or airplane. Weight would be much more important, and while physically active, I have a hard time imagining you'd get the benefit of such an expensive headphone without something ruining the experience. The self-sound of clothes, the cable banging against you, the pounding of your feet against pavement, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back