$1000 for everything
Oct 21, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would recommend the Keces DA-152 instead. It'll run you $520 after shipping, but it can be purchased on Ebay. It's the same DAC as the 151 (which is fantastic, by the way!), with what looks to be a great headphone amp built in. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the added cost of ICs, either.

After the 30% cash back, that leaves you $336 for headphones outside of Ebay, or $480 within... I think that'll do. ;o)

that looks like a great idea
would those work well with the HD650?
and then what cable would I need?

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that looks like a great idea
would those work well with the HD650?
and then what cable would I need?

Doesn't it, though?!
biggrin.gif

You can contact David (either through Ebay, or here on Head-Fi under "Maniac"). I believe that he tested the DA-152 personally with some higher-end Senns, but you'd have to ask him to be sure.

You would only need a USB cable to hook this up to your computer. That would save you the hassle and money of buying a card, a digital IC to your DAC, and a pair of analog ICs between the DAC and headphone amp. That's a pretty big bundle of savings right there!

No affiliation with Keces, by the way... just a very happy DA-151 customer!!
dt880smile.png

Oct 21, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 30
Oh, and it has variable output RCA jacks, as well.

That means that if you ever want to do the speaker thing as well, you just have to buy speakers and a power amplifier. The 152 can serve as a preamp.

Oct 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #19 of 30
Keces 152 would seem great value with the ebay cashback, though a similar item to consider would be the Meier Cantate - you could maybe ask Todd if he could put bundle it with some headphones into a custom buy it now auction for you to take advantage of the cashback

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 30
You can use your Onkyo 605 as the headphone amp by connecting digital out of soundcard to digital in on the Onkyo. I have Onkyo 505 and have used it with headphones and it sounds pretty good to me. If your Onkyo is a long way from your PC then it will be an issue. It isn't for me because my Onkyo is very near to my PC.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #23 of 30
Cool, good snag on the DA-152! You should let us know how it sounds. It was just recently released, so you'll be one of the first to post your impressions on here. David should get it to you really soon, btw.
smily_headphones1.gif

You won't need a cable to go between the 152 and your headphones, since any headphone you buy will have a stock cable. You could, of course, modify the phones (or have them modified) by replacing this stock cable, but I honestly think that your money would be much better spent by putting it into better phones from the get go. I mean, $400 headphones will most likely be of better quality (build and sound) than $300 headphones with a $100 aftermarket cable.

Not saying that aftermarket cables aren't good. Just the icing on the cake, that's all. Spend yers monees on the best phones you can possibly buy right now.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, good snag on the DA-152! You should let us know how it sounds. It was just recently released, so you'll be one of the first to post your impressions on here. David should get it to you really soon, btw.
smily_headphones1.gif

You won't need a cable to go between the 152 and your headphones, since any headphone you buy will have a stock cable. You could, of course, modify the phones (or have them modified) by replacing this stock cable, but I honestly think that your money would be much better spent by putting it into better phones from the get go. I mean, $400 headphones will most likely be of better quality (build and sound) than $300 headphones with a $100 aftermarket cable.

Not saying that aftermarket cables aren't good. Just the icing on the cake, that's all. Spend yers monees on the best phones you can possibly buy right now.
biggrin.gif

ok, thanks
you have any opinions on headphones?
I'm still leaning towards the HD600/650 since I like the HD595 and PX100
my only other experience is with speakers - I like the sound of my Klipsch iFi setup (RSX satellites) and I have some Def Tech ProMonitors for home theater, but they sound a bit bland compared to the Klipsch

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, thanks
you have any opinions on headphones?
I'm still leaning towards the HD600/650 since I like the HD595 and PX100
my only other experience is with speakers - I like the sound of my Klipsch iFi setup (RSX satellites) and I have some Def Tech ProMonitors for home theater, but they sound a bit bland compared to the Klipsch

Someone else might have to chime at this point. I'm still relatively new to the headphone game. I come from a speaker background.

I have the PX-100's, but I use them rarely at this point. I am very much liking my Beyerdynamic DT-880's, but I'm sure you can do much better.

Go ahead and post your listening preferences (music wise), as well as what aspects you do and don't like about those two headphones, and I'm sure that somebody will be able to give you some good advice. You should be able to do very well with the money that you have left in your budget!!
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #26 of 30
I think I'm going to go for the HD650s. They are pretty cheap and seem like a pretty good starting point. I can always try other sets later on. Right now I just want to get something.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 30
I got mine for $280 after rebate... Sorry, why is everything seem more expensive in Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back