$1000 2ch speaker setup help
Jul 22, 2005 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

mmmmcheese

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

As you may know I am looking for a 2 channel speaker setup for my bedroom. I am looking for speakers with a sound signiture similar to Grados and the DT770.Most importantly te bass of the DT770. I have looked at these speakers.

New:
Buggtussel Mirac
Onix RS550
Axiom M50ti

Used:
Onix RS750
Axiom M60ti
Buggtussel Somu

I am really leaning towards the RS550 or the Buggtussel. I really have no idea though. Could anyone give me somefeedback on these speaker or any speakers in the <$1000 dollar range.

Also I need to find an amp to power what ever speakers I have. My dad sadi to look at some used Bryston, Dadvid Hafler, or possibly audire amps on ebay.

Give me some feedback. I want to know about any speaker or amp that would work for me. Thanks.

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 47
I just got myself a pair of Cain & Cain Abbys http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...8997&read&3&4&

They're sounding awesome and should be doable at around $1000 shipped. They look great have an awesome midrange, very quick, and emotionally engaging. They are also very sensitive, and in a conversation with Terry Cain (maker) he mentioned people reporting suprisingly good results pairing the speakers with the dirt cheap Sonic Impact T-amp
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 47
Great advice, spend $1,000 on speakers, and spend $10 on amplification. What advice would that manufacturer come up with next, pair those $1,000 speakers with some $10,000 cables that are sprinkled with fairy dust?

Long established brands such as Paradgim, PSB, Monitor audio, Infinity, etc., all have models in the $1,000 range. I recommend these brands because you can actually audition them in your local hifi store for free, without having to pay ~$100 in shipping charges just to audition some internet brand speakers.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Great advice, spend $1,000 on speakers, and spend $10 on amplification. What advice would that manufacturer come up with next, pair those $1,000 speakers with some $10,000 cables that are sprinkled with fairy dust?

Long established brands such as Paradgim, PSB, Monitor audio, Infinity, etc., all have models in the $1,000 range. I recommend these brands because you can actually audition them in your local hifi store for free, without having to pay ~$100 in shipping charges just to audition some internet brand speakers.

ampgalore,

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or do you just open your mouth to piss people off?

Firstly, the Sonic T-amp recommendation was of course a temporary one until upgraditis inevitably hits. Furthermore, that is a very common suggestion which many dealers and manufacturers stand behind--putting the bulk of budget into speakers and upgrading amps later--if you read posts on audioasylum you'll see countless posts recommending people buy things like Von Schweikert VR4-jrs and mating them with Pannys until buget allows better...

Secondly, I don't know what kind of dumb slippery slope logic you're pulling there but I've never given anyone a suggestion of that sort before and don't intend to. I find your sarcastic tone very offensive.

Thirdly, Cain & Cain Co. is NOT "some internet brand" they are VERY widely known and respected in SET circles. There are also several dealers throughout the country. They might not be convient for his location, but I can think of a hundred well established high end manufacturers that don't have a dealer near me, and I'm in New York!

Furthermore, here's a professional review giving it highest acclaim they offer. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cain2/bailey.html

This is not the first time you've crapped on one of my posts, but I hope my putting you in check will make it the last.

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
ampgalore,

Do you have any idea what you're talking about or do you just open your mouth to piss people off?

Off topic.....but this is the funniest thing I've seen/read today.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
as much as you may think those speakers are good (im not debating their quality, i've never heard of them)...i do find them hideous...no offense...

To be truthful, I actually think they look beautiful, but in the past I have been known to like things very simplistic, but still elegant, so I can understand how someone could see it the other way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 47
Just in case you can't tell from the pics, the speakers are a triangular prism from front to back, not square. They don't look bad, imo.

Jul 23, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 47
I agree with the recommendation of PSB, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, KEF...all at your local Hi Fi store...none would I recommend more than Energy! They make hard to beat speakers in this price range.

Each of the above will compare nicely to your Grado sound signature. Other thoughts are on the used marked...and most are bookshelf...Spendor 3/5, Proac Tablette's, Ruark's...etc. I'd say that these would not give you the bass you are looking for...they are more about Audiophile tricks like imaging and tonal accuracy.

Good Luck...I wish I was shopping for a new system!

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 47
My suggestion is for a speaker company that is not very well known, System Audio (www.system-audio.com). I've owned 2 different pairs of their speakers, currently own the SA2K which is out of your range. The speaker I previously owned was the SA705 which retails for $1000. It is a small speaker with huge sound. The speaker below it is the SA505, which was heard buy a lot of the guys at the last Florida meet. The group couldn't believe how good they were considering the $600 price tag. Good luck with your search.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 47
Homeless,

No offense taken. I don't mind if people don't like the looks or even if they don't care for the sonic signature--I just got a little peevd when they were quickly dismissed a crap.

To tell you the truth my mom isn't crazy about their looks, but my dad and I think they're gorgous, and more importantly so does my girlfriend who I live with.

They are definitely love it or hate it looks wise.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 47
I have not heard the speakers you are looking at. But if I can offer a different speaker, I would recommend Klipsch. Anything out of their reference line is pretty good. When people ask in the HT forums what headphone sounds like Klipsch the answer is always grado!

I went to the audio shop a few weeks ago planing to by either the B&W 703s ($3000), Tannoy Sensys DC2 ($1300), or a comparable Paradgim spearker ($1000-$2000). At this time I was not even considering Klipsch and had no interest in them. After about two hours I was about ready to write a check for the DC2 because it sound about like the B&W 703s but at half the price. I said to the dealer I was going to by the DC2 because I thought they were the best bang for the buck in the store. He smiled and turned oh the Klipsch RF-5.

It was no contest, the RF-5 had more base punch than the Tannoy and B&Ws. They made both those brands sound very boring. At the same time it had a cleaner airier sound than the Paradgim (can’t remember the model) . The RF-5 vocals were much more forward (good for me). They were more “fun” while remaining refined. I am a Klipsch convert. In the end I did not buy them because I still want the hear the RF-7 which that dealer did not have on the floor. With their four 10 in woofers I can’t wait to hear there punch. I think this will allow me the ability to not use a sub (I hate subs....too muddy....but I like bass?).

Anyway I highly recommend Klipsch.

The good:

price
bass punch
clarity/resolution
forward vocals (subjective)
extremely efficient (save money on amplification)

The bad:

on the bright side
midrange doesn’t quite sparkle like B&W’s. I think it is the cross overs fault. But I am nitpicking
big (you will need space for the RF-7)
looks (they look good but not like B&W which are like fine furniture)
They have plastic feet?

Klipsch RF-5 = $1000 street (1500 retail)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BIN_Stores

Klipsch RF-7 = $1500 street (2200 retail)

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 47
What kind of an illiterate buffoon would recommend an underpowered T amp to power a set of $1,000 speakers? It is well known that underpowered amps introduce distortion at high volumes, and those distortions kill the tweeters.

When you crank up the volume on that T-amp, you can kiss your $1,000 speakers goodbye.

SET speakers are not for everyone. The whole set-up from amp to speaker requires thousands of dollars of investment in esoteric, hard to find, DIY equipment. Not everyone is prepared for that kind of investment in either money or time. Not to mention the SET sound is not for everyone.

Piss off indeed.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
ampgalore,

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 47
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 47
ampgalore,

There are no tweeters and no crossovers... they are a single driver speaker.
rolleyes.gif
Obviously you didn't read the link I provided, because you are continuing to make stupid comments on something you obviously are misinformed on.

The Abbys are 95db efficency and are routinely driven with 2a3 amps that only put on 2 watts per channel. That said, I never recommended he try a SET with it, merely stated that it was particularly popular amongst those groups.

None of my equipment with the exception of my audio rack & monoblock stands is "hard to find, esoteric or DIY equipment". Furthermore, my amps are not SETs. Many have reported great results with push pull, solid state and digital recievers...

Look, he said he likes the grado sound which I equate with having a forward midrange, aggressive sound, wamer side of neutral, fairly resolved, with a punchy midbass (though not the best bass extention). This speaker meets all of those criteria. Best still its efficency allows them to be driven by virtually any readily available (read NOT essoteric, DYI, major investment) amplification.

Do some freakin' research before you trash something you've never heard before.

EDIT: Also, if you'd like to continue this discussion further, drop me a PM. This man asked for system recommendations not a bunch misinformed attacks of others seeking to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back