$100 Passive Bookshelf Speakers Pair
Oct 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Frame Trap

New Head-Fier
Hello.
I want to start off by apologizing for my newbieness.

So I decided to buy a new pair of PC speakers since the ones I use are a pair of really cheap Logitech LS11.

I was looking at the Swan M10 set at first, but I realized that I don't really have space for the subwoofer at the moment, so I decided that I'd look for a 2.0 set instead, and perhaps buy a subwoofer somewhere down the line.

After that it came down to the M-Audio AV40's or the Edifier R1900TII. But after reading a couple of posts on that subject, it seemed like buying an amp and a set of passive bookshelf speakers might deliver higher quality at the same price as active speakers.

So I read another thread here on Head-Fi where this amp was mentioned: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300&FTR

Along with these bookshelf speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652&FTR=dayton%20b652

And this sub: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-631

So what I would like to ask is, since I wouldn't really like to have a subwoofer atm, could anyone could recommend a pair of passive bookshelf speakers for around $100 dollars to go with that amp? Or do you think that I should buy a better amp and a bit cheaper speakers than $100? Do you also think that, with a budget of $150, I can get a better set this way than buying active speakers, like the AV40's or Edifier R1900TII?

My total budget is around $150, but I might be able to stretch it a bit (maybe a maximum of $50). One problem is that I live in Sweden. So I have seen recommendations of different Polka speakers, but I can find no store that sell them.

As for what I'm gonna use them for? Games and music, I'd say. Having lots of bass for explosions and stuff aren't that important, since what I care most about in game audio is music. As for what kind of music, that varies quite a bit. The speakers don't really have to excel at any special kind. Simply good overall (if that's achievable, of course).

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: While it's hard to state exactly what I'm considering high volume, I should state that I'm not too interested in pumping really high volumes.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 22
Start with better speakers before an amp. If you don't want a sub then get speakers with at least 6in woofers but depending on your preferences you may still feel that this is bass lite. What brands/models are easily available to you in Sweden?

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
Start with better speakers before an amp. If you don't want a sub then get speakers with at least 6in woofers but depending on your preferences you may still feel that this is bass lite.

Ah, I figured that this was the case.

Quote:
What brands/models are easily available to you in Sweden?

Hrm. I might suck at searching, but I can post some models that I managed to find in my price range.

Magnat Monitor Supreme 100
, XTZ 80, XTZ 70.12, Dynavoice Challenger S-5 EX v2, System One H-166, System One Q4B, System One VH-4S, Lenco SP-300, Lenco SP-400 and Acoustic AS 302

These where the ones that I could find at least. But there could be more available too. I might be open to import from other places within EU too, but outside is a bit scary, since I might have to pay custom fees. So now that I think about it, I might be able to find some Polka speakers internationally. Sorry about that. -.-

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 22
I went thru the Audioengine A2s and M-Audio AV40s before finally being satisfied with a separate amp and passive speakers.  I found a used NAD 40 watt receiver ($100) and a pair of Energy C100 speakers ($95) on Ebay and that was my first passive setup.  Since then, I have tried Advent, Polk, Klipsch, Wharfedale, and Infinity bookshelf speakers...all of which could go down to 65Hz at +-3db and all purchased on Ebay.  I finally landed with 2 sets of Boston Acoustic speakers (CR67 and CR75) that cost around $80 per pair on Ebay.  I still use those speakers today (I replaced the caps in the crossovers with Solens and Mundorfs).

I too considered the Dayton speakers from Parts Express as well as this amp:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383 but realized I wanted a receiver for multiple inputs and tone controls (which came in handy).  The amp you linked to or the one above should get you where you want to go.

The point of all this is there are a lot of inexpensive options out there and the result is you get sound that is far better than a majority of the powered desktop speakers out there.  A word of caution...after getting your first setup, you may find yourself spending more money to tweak it....e.g. equalizer, tube buffer, subwoofer, etc.
tongue.gif

Good luck!

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 22
If you go with one of the lower powered T-Amps and want to go reasonably loud have a look at more efficient bookshelf speakers 
tongue_smile.gif
I can't say i had ever heard anything from Magnat "live" but i did go thru lots of USA/UK stuff so maybe give something from Wharefedale, Tannoy, Mission, Mordaunt Short, etc an audition and compare those to your local offerings hehe Btw i 100% support that TA2020 + B652 config...if one had $60ish to spend but anything more you should hit better speakers asap Lastly if u considering active 2.0 and since u in Europe have a look at the Microlab Solo 5C and higher

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 22
So, I apologize that I didn't search a bit harder before hand, but here are three speakers that I would like to ask if you would suggest any of them:
-Dynavoice Challenger s-5 EX v.2. These are $150 with free shipping.
-Audio Pro Wigo WI-110. They are $192, also with free shipping.
-A pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BR1. They're £125 ($196) pre-shipping and they seem to be on a sale. They do go a bit over my budget though.

I now realize that I have gone pretty far over the budget mentioned in the thread title, sorry about that. :x

Quote:
I went thru the Audioengine A2s and M-Audio AV40s before finally being satisfied with a separate amp and passive speakers.  I found a used NAD 40 watt receiver ($100) and a pair of Energy C100 speakers ($95) on Ebay and that was my first passive setup.  Since then, I have tried Advent, Polk, Klipsch, Wharfedale, and Infinity bookshelf speakers...all of which could go down to 65Hz at +-3db and all purchased on Ebay.  I finally landed with 2 sets of Boston Acoustic speakers (CR67 and CR75) that cost around $80 per pair on Ebay.  I still use those speakers today (I replaced the caps in the crossovers with Solens and Mundorfs).

Nice, thanks. :) I'll keep an eye out if I see any of these speakers while searching stores.

Quote:
I too considered the Dayton speakers from Parts Express as well as this amp:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383 but realized I wanted a receiver for multiple inputs and tone controls (which came in handy).  The amp you linked to or the one above should get you where you want to go.

Alright, that's reassuring to hear. If all else fails, I can always upgrade the amp down the road. It's pretty cheap, so I'm not losing too much. :)

Quote:
The point of all this is there are a lot of inexpensive options out there and the result is you get sound that is far better than a majority of the powered desktop speakers out there.  A word of caution...after getting your first setup, you may find yourself spending more money to tweak it....e.g. equalizer, tube buffer, subwoofer, etc.
tongue.gif

Good luck!

Heh, a lot of these things kinda go over my head now, but I have a feeling that what you mentioned is gonna happen.
Thanks!
Quote:
I think you would be fine with either the Polk Audio's or the Infinity's.

I have yet to find any Polka speakers in any stores I've sifted through. But I do find a bunch of Infinity speakers on Ebay and in local stores (I'd prefer to buy online, though, as I have a rather large distance to drive to get to said stores -.-).

EDIT:
Quote:
If you go with one of the lower powered T-Amps and want to go reasonably loud have a look at more efficient bookshelf speakers 
tongue_smile.gif

Ah, I see. The one's I'm currently eyeing are a bit pricier than the one I mentioned too. So hopefully, one of those will suffice. ^^

Quote:
I can't say i had ever heard anything from Magnat "live" but i did go thru lots of USA/UK stuff so maybe give something from Wharefedale, Tannoy, Mission, Mordaunt Short, etc an audition and compare those to your local offerings hehe Btw i 100% support that TA2020 + B652 config...if one had $60ish to spend but anything more you should hit better speakers asap Lastly if u considering active 2.0 and since u in Europe have a look at the Microlab Solo 5C and higher

I sadly have a pretty large distance to drive to audition speakers. I do have one store close by, which I'll look into. But It's not really a big store.

I actually just saw a Wharefedale speaker. A Wharefedale Diamond 10.0R for $183 pre-shipping.

And I'm currently most interested in passive bookshelf speakers, but I'll try to be on a lookout for the Microlab speakers, in case I fall back on the active 2.0 idea.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone!

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 22
I have to believe that Pioneer speakers are available in the EU; the Pioneer SP BS41 LR are well regarded and run $150 in the states.  You also might want to check out a local audio list serv/website for ideas or to buy speakers 2d hand. 

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
I have to believe that Pioneer speakers are available in the EU; the Pioneer SP BS41 LR are well regarded and run $150 in the states.  You also might want to check out a local audio list serv/website for ideas or to buy speakers 2d hand. 

Thanks. I can't recall having seen those speakers on any of the web stores I've been on, but my local shop have loads of Pioneer speakers, so I might check with them next time I'm there.

EDIT: Btw. While it's hard to state exactly what I'm considering high volume, I should state that I'm not too interested in pumping really high volumes.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 22

O_o is that 183 euros? Thats kindda steep going by Superfi prices 
eek.gif

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5496
Quote:
I actually just saw a Wharefedale speaker. A Wharefedale Diamond 10.0R for $183 pre-shipping.

And I'm currently most interested in passive bookshelf speakers, but I'll try to be on a lookout for the Microlab speakers, in case I fall back on the active 2.0 idea.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone!

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #12 of 22
No worries about borrowing the thread!

Quote:
O_o is that 183 euros? Thats kindda steep going by Superfi prices 
eek.gif

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5496

Heh. Nope, that's $189/£116,95/€134. ^^

So I've read som good stuff about the Wharfedale 10.0 and the Monitor Audio Bronze BR1. But is there any real downside to either, or any reason to go with one over the other? Or maybe there are other speakers that I should try to go with instead? Would either of these do fine in this price class?

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
At that price point either of those offer good SQ but as said best if you could listen and test em out for a spin hehe

That would probably be best, but I don't have a local store where I can audition them. :<

So I think I'm going to buy the Monitor Audio Bronze BR1: http://quantumelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/monitor_audio_bronze_br1.html

And a Tripath Lepai TA2020: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lepai-Class-T-Tripath-TA2020-A-Amplifier-12V5A-POWER-/290534659322

So I have a question. On the power input of the TA2020, it says 12V2A. But the AC-adapter that comes with the TA2020 from that E-Bay sellers says 12V5A. So this is a really newbish question, but the higher current on the AC-adapter shouldn't have any negative impact on the amp, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back