$100 or less PC speakers (no subs), Bose or M-Audio?
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
I need some new PC speakers. They needn't be particularly flat, I rarely use them. However I'm very tired of my 2.1 system, I abhor PC subs.

I'm looking at the Bose Companion set (I've heard them at Sam's and they sound fairly good though I'm NOT a Bose fan). I'm also looking at the M-Audio StudioPro 3s. The Bose are $69 and the M-Audio's are around $89.

Anybody have any input?

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 19
Anything less than $100 and without a sub will probably be lacking in a bunch of departments, so just pick whichever sounds best. Small speakers aren't exactly conducive to full-range frequency reproduction.
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 19
I haven't heard the StudioPro 3's, but I had a pair of DX4's which ended up returning. They sounded too bright for my tastes and the built-in amp would significantly heat up the back panel when left on all day.

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 19
the OP has an emu 0404, so it would be a shame not to take advantage of that. why not scare up a T-amp for 30 bucks, and find some nice used REAL speakers locally under 100? my marantz 2226 acts as the power amp and my wharfedale crystal 20s crank it out, and when the dust settled i paid only $125. so look around, especially since you have the luxury of a home build, and find those bargains!

Feb 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the OP has an emu 0404, so it would be a shame not to take advantage of that. why not scare up a T-amp for 30 bucks, and find some nice used REAL speakers locally under 100? my marantz 2226 acts as the power amp and my wharfedale crystal 20s crank it out, and when the dust settled i paid only $125. so look around, especially since you have the luxury of a home build, and find those bargains!

VERY interesting. I hadn't considered that mainly because I know nothing about T amps. Could you elaborate and maybe provide a couple links?

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 19
With the 0404, ideally you'd want to save up for active (i.e. amplifier-included) studio monitors if you want the best 2.0 configuration, since you'll be able to use the 0404's balanced outputs. Perhaps that's something to shoot for later.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr. John /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VERY interesting. I hadn't considered that mainly because I know nothing about T amps. Could you elaborate and maybe provide a couple links?

I didn't know either what a T-Amp is...so I just Google'ed it
eggosmile.gif

Class T integrated amplifier

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 19
maudio has power monitor that you can skip having and external amp.
they have something new called studiophile av20 wonder if its good, but its $100 you maybe do research on it. or save up another $50 and get a m-audio dx-4.

but generally i advocate what jahn said.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 19
I once had the studiopro 4s. They are flat and have amazing imaging. They were enjoyable to listne to in front of them at a desk. Elsewhere they weren't.
The t-amp mentioned is a marvel of technology. It features a tripath chip which allows for its such amazing sound quality. I'd get some bargain speakers from somewhere and try the t-amp if you're up for experimenting.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 19
Take a look at insignia speakers Best Buy sells (assuming you are in the US) to pair with the T-amp. Also consider Swans M200.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 19
note that the t-amp doesn't come with an ac adapter. that'll cost you another couple of bucks too.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 19
PC audiophile set-up for the price of those boxed multi-media gimmicks. I just set my up before Christmas with a Trends Audio TA-10 (comes with power supply), now I get audiophile sound and no need to use dedicated proprietary speakers. Currently I am using pair of GC/Walcom Epitome 93 dB bi-directional cube speakers I got off eBay for $9.95. Planning to get some Tekton fullranges soon.

Reviews:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html
http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-amp_e.html

TA-10_011_EdT.jpg

"My set-up is nothing special, just using it for my PC audio set-up. Source audio input is from to my Yamaha Waveforce 192XG soundcard hooked up to a pair of GC/Walcom Epitome 93 dB bi-directional cube speakers with Crunch 14AWG speaker wires with AMX Xtreme gold plated banana plugs. I play it through foobar2000 player with ASIO driver"

You can check out other peoples T-Amp set-ups here: http://www.musical.ca/gallery.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back