~$100 IEMs
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

veruvius

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I haven't been to this forum in a long time. That's because I had bought the UM1's and loved them. Unfortunately, I lost them (along with my iAudio X5L) and need some new ones STAT.

I'm looking to spend ~$100, and I definitely want IEMs again. I'll be using them primarily for exercising and while commuting, so isolation is key, as are a lack of microphonics (that's the word right?). I listen to a wide range of music, so I guess I'd just like something balanced and warm. I know people complained about the lack of mids (was that it?) on the UM1's, but that was easily solved by eq'ing it. Style is fairly important to me nowadays, too. I guess I need something small and definitely durable. Should I get the UM1's again, or is there something better out there? Thanks all.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 13
Yeah, definitely, if you liked the um1's just get them all over again :p, If I lost any of the IEM's/Phones I have now, I would definitely rebuy them. Really sorry you lost your portable setup, that really sucks, especially when you lose a good branded player like a Cowon....that set you back like what, $400 retail.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 13
for ~$100, the UM1s are definitely hard to beat, especially if you liked them before. They are fairly nice looking IEMs too. I'd say that unless you're looking to change sound signatures, stick with UM1.

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 13
I love the quick replies, especially seeing how I need to make a decision in the next hour or so. I did do a ton of research to find the UM1s and they were great. Too bad I can't just go to a store and find them, even in NYC. If I bumped the price range to $150, anything significantly better?

I got the Cowon for $300 on sale a couple years ago. It was so abused that the left audio didn't work anymore and the better was shot, so I needed something new anyway. The UM1s hurt.

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 13
I still say you go for the UM1's or yeah, if you can stretch just to $175, the Super.fi 5's would be totally worth it.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 13
lol, I'll put it like this, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" you seem to like them, so why get something else, If you really want something better than the Westones, you'll probably have to save up more money and just comeback and post your new limit
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 13
I know it's tough to stray from what you love, but when my X3i broke I decided to purchase the Denon AH-C700. I'm happy that I did. Trying new phones allows you to discover things you didn't know you liked. If you can spare the extra cash, try the Denon's. They are a little warmer then the UM1 which I'm pretty sure you asked for $141.99

Denon AH-C700

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 13
I decided to just get the UM1's again because the fit is supposed to be among the best (I know I barely noticed they were in), and like I said, one of my main uses will be for exercising. Maybe if I had time to try out something else, but I needed these ASAP. I guess I'll just be back here when I scape up enough money to get a second pair. Damn you all :p

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 13
biggrin.gif
, glad you'll be happy at least, enjoy your listening, and try not to lose these
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back