$100 Durability
Oct 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gs23

New Head-Fier
Hi, recently my Bose In-Ear has loss its sound for the 2nd time. I am looking to buy the RE0 or the S4, I know that these IEMs have great sound but I am willing to sacrifice sound for durability, is there any other IEM that have great sound but can last for awhile?. If not, is there any "mods" that I can put on these flimsy wires to make them last longer, thanks.

I listen to anthing such as dubstep, jazz, hip hop, and metal.

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 6
There are plenty of durable and great sounding IEM's for under $100.  Start by reading the extensive comparative reviews from joker and ClieOS. Note from the linked reviews that the two you mention, RE0 and S4, might be considered near opposites.

Several that are getting great reviews these days are the ViSang R03/Brainwavz M2 (same IEM, different sources) and Thinksound TS02. Joker just added useful comparisons in his comprehensive TS02 review here.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 6
At under $100, you're likely looking at the panasonic hje900. There are quite a few threads on these earphones lately, so you could check those out, and see if they spark your interest.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 6

Hi, recently my Bose In-Ear has loss its sound for the 2nd time. I am looking to buy the RE0 or the S4, I know that these IEMs have great sound but I am willing to sacrifice sound for durability, is there any other IEM that have great sound but can last for awhile?. If not, is there any "mods" that I can put on these flimsy wires to make them last longer, thanks.

I listen to anthing such as dubstep, jazz, hip hop, and metal.

I'm going to be biased here, but there I don't think there is any headphone that can compete with the Panasonic HJE900 on durability under $100( 79.99 at JR.com) while still being a top contender for the price in terms of sound. Stories of it's durability include having a jogger run over them on concrete floor without them getting a single scratch(what happened to mine), and another member accidentally having his dog swallow and then regurgitate the headphones without any damage to sound or housing. That cubic zirconium housing is no joke.

As mentioned, the S4 and RE0 are like antithetical to eachother. The RE0 might be short on bass for you after usingthe bose in-ears, but they are supposed to sound great. i've only heard the HJE900, but from what I've read from other members, they seem to be about on par with the RE0 technically, despite their substantially different sounds. Most comparisons I've read suggests they beat out the S4 in SQ. I've read the Bose In-Ear has huge amounts of bass though, so I don't know if you might be expecting too much. The 900s certainly carry a hefty punch, though. Main thing to worry about with those is possibly harsh highs, but that can be easily and effectively alleviated by performing the foam mod and/or using Comply foam tips. They should work fine for the genres mentioned, they do well with pretty much any kind of music, imo.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 6
IMO, I don't find the s4 to be particularly durable due to the cable to being so thin. (though they are comfortable)  I don't have experience with the REO but from what I read, some people have had durability problems with those as well.  .02

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 6
the pannies build quality def is great- better than any other iem I have seen beside from possibly the ck10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back