$100-170 Bang for buck IEM's
Sep 16, 2016 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ClintonL

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, looking to get new IEM's as i've lost my old yamaha's. Budget is around 100-170 USD but looking to get something "bang for buck" and not pass the point of diminishing returns (cough my hd800's). I've heard zero audios are good and have no qualms in buying a chinese brand if they're good. Wondering what the best IEM's around my price range are. Will mostly be listening to trance if that matters. 

Cheers

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 10
These are incredible.  I have a pair of HD650s and DT770s with a Bottlehead crack so I like to think I know a little about sound quality. I have a pair that I picked up on Slickdeals for like 50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Noise-Isolating-Earphone-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000WAHFBK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1474050843&sr=8-6&keywords=klipsch+ear+bud

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Personal favorites in this price range: Zero Audio Doppio, ATH-IM02, Future Sonics G10, Sony XB90EX (if you have a good source).

Were your yamahas the eph-100? might dig the Carbo Tenore... not quite as good but 1/3 price and somewhat comparable from my recollection.

Suggest checking out Joker's buyers guide on TheHeadphoneList if you haven't already.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Dunu dn 1000. The first iem to WOW me.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 10
I recently reviewed the $150 AAW Nebula Two Hybrids and preferred them to my VSonic GR07 Bass Edition out of my Fiio E17; the GR07 BE is already considered an exceptional value for the price at $130 and difficult to upgrade from without spending a ton more, so that tells you about the "bang for the buck" of the Nebula Two. Check out my review if you want more details, only caveat is that they might not be available in Western markets right now, but will be available soon.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Ah if you're using just a phone, is not the best case scenario for xb90ex though imo they are best bang for buck I have found other than the Doppios, and scale really well with good sources (also a fair bit different from eph100 so maybe not best choice here anyway).

Another good replacement for EPH100 I think is Aurisonics Rockets, a little more on the neutral side, but still with a warmish character. unfortunately they got discontinued so the rare new units pop up at high prices, but if you don't mind used they sometimes pop up

Some suggestions I have not used but might also be worth reasearching judging by stuff I have read: ZA Duoza, RHA T10 or 750, Sony ex800st/mdr7550 (same thing), mee P1,

so that tells you about the "bang for the buck" of the Nebula Two. Check out my review if you want more details, only caveat is that they might not be available in Western markets right now, but will be available soon.

I think direct from AAW in Singapore is an option, if in US a company called MusicTeck (also sell through Amazon) I think are distributing AAW but don't have them yet- No idea how reliable either of those options are. If Null Audio start carrying them I have had success ordering from them, though also shipping from Singapore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back