$10 USB Sound Card? Free Rhinoceros?!
Jul 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GravityEyelids

100+ Head-Fier
Ok my laptop sounds like crap. The headphone out has random crackles and pops, not even because it's loose or physically broken. Would this cheap ass usb device offer ANY benefit in my situation? 

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342933557&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+sound+card

Yes, i'm aware its less than $10. Yes I'm aware that it's probably a cheap piece of junk. But, would the fact that its putting sound out of my usb rather than the onboard headphone jack make a big enough difference? (assuming it's not made with absolute garbage components, which it probably is).

I don't know much about DAC's but I like listening to music out of my laptop and would like the best SQ i can get for relatively cheap. Obviously, it's a laptop so I can't install a good soundcard, my understanding is that a USB DAC acts in place of what would be an upgraded soundcard on a desktop computer...

Would something like a FiiO E7 offer a significant upgrade on the SQ i could get out of my laptop? It would be run to my headphones or through RCA into my reciever/floor speakers.

Someone please help me understand dac's and computer audio, i beg of you.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 8
The Syba is basically a similar thing that you already have in your computer. It won't be an upgrade per say. But rather a sideways move. I would definitely think the FiiO E7 would be an upgrade in SQ. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Don't worry I was in the same situation as you, having to do tons of research to even understand half the crap audio geeks talk about. 

A DAC will basically occupy one of your USB ports and the soundcard on your laptop will be bypassed, like you thought. 

Cheap DAC that measures pretty well...well at least according to that guy. But if it measures in some areas better than 100+ dollar DACs, it's still worth considering. 

Might I ask what headphone you are using and what impedance it is? That would help answer some of our questions. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 8
I've got HD25 Originals, MDR-V6, V-Moda M80s, Grado SR60s, and HD428s. So all relatively low impedance. I had some HD580s but I didnt have the money to invest in a system that would drive them well. 

I have a FiiO E6 also. But that's basically for portable use (my zune/CDplayer)

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 8
You could start with the cheap Behringer uc-202 which a dac and amp designer had said has a good dac section. It has some issues with lower impedance cans, so as a headphone amp that may not be too great.  I know if I were looking to get something better I might try the Behringer and  a little cmoy amp like the JDS labs, total cost about $100.  Or for a bit more $139 you may wish to try the HRT HeadStreamer.  I would get that over any Fiio unit.  I did a review of it on my blog FWIW.

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Don't worry I was in the same situation as you, having to do tons of research to even understand half the crap audio geeks talk about.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.dvdsaledirect.com

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Yea the behringer is looking pretty good, especially for the money. I actually have an older headroom Airhead on the way, so i could probably just pair that with it and be fine. 

I'm reripping my entire CD as FLAC (i have like 150...ughh) and going to pair that with XBMC or winamp  so I want to make sure I get the best signal coming out of my laptop after I do this.

Anyone know much about XBMC? It's pretty straight forward but i want to know if there are any audiophile type addons i should get to make sure i get the best SQ out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back