10 Second Survey - Music or Gear?
May 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #16 of 61
Allready using spotify for music almost for free so I would ofc use all the money to the gear :D

May 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:
Would your primary interest in going to concerts be for the tickling of the ears that is unique to a live performance, or the overall experience (anticipation of the event, on stage banter, crowd dynamics and response etc)? If the former, I would suggest that your vote is for music.  In any case, what a great investment in experiences that would be.   

Most of the time it would be just to say I was there and by there I mean festivals such as Glastonbury and being able to go anywhere to see my favourite bands.

May 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 61
A $1000 cd shopping spree would be amazing.

May 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 61
I like my headphones, I'm content with my ipod classic > dj100 setup for portable listening, and my home system blows my mind every time I listen to it.

Once I have a good desktop setup for my dorm, and by good I mean something in the lower "mid-fi" spectrum,I think I'll be back to just buying lots of music.

So for me, I'd spend about half on getting a nice desktop system (Valhalla and bifrost, little dot Mk3 +little dot DAC, or ODAC + ODA), and then buy every yard sale CD/record I could get my hands on.

May 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

So for me, I'd spend about half on getting a nice desktop system (Valhalla and bifrost, little dot Mk3 +little dot DAC, or ODAC + ODA), and then buy every yard sale CD/record I could get my hands on.

Op Said if you could spend on One or the other only, not a part on each... js..

May 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #22 of 61
Op Said if you could spend on One or the other only, not a part on each... js..

Darn my critical reading skills, I guess i'll go with music, $1000 in used cd's would be amazing.

May 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #23 of 61
Quote:
Darn my critical reading skills, I guess i'll go with music, $1000 in used cd's would be amazing.

$1000 in New Cds would be amazing too.

May 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #24 of 61
I would say maybe I'm just into technology so I'm more interested in gear because it really fascinates me what its able to do. Mog and spotify have been working quite well and usually I buy music when its dirt cheap used on Amazon. Other than that, its gear first, music second. (When you think about it, its a horrible way to think haha)

May 9, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #25 of 61
I enjoy to purchase and make music and gears. Being a music grad, I learned that it all comes down to aesthetics. We get music for the enjoyment and experience, but if we're get gears to bring music come to life, then we are all looking for our own overall aesthetics in music.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
May 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #26 of 61
Quote:
I enjoy to purchase and make music and gears. Being a music grad, I learned that it all comes down to aesthetics. We get music for the enjoyment and experience, but if we're get gears to bring music come to life, then we are all looking for our own overall aesthetics in music.

Well said, growing up I would have said music but I like finding the right gear for each type of music. Plus every one has "music" but who's got a grand in Gear lying around there house ;3 nice conversation piece as well as grow up talking about music but very few people enjoy or can talk about music reproduction. For me the journey is more enjoyable than the destination, music is a path we've all walked and will keep walking, but gear is a new path and one that involves a good amount of planning and research along with the fun of bringing music to life!

May 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #27 of 61
I'll spend it on music.

May 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 61
Quote:
I was going to vote music till I saw the question. With streaming services such as Spotify providing me with more music than I could have ever imagined for £10 a month, buying music is almost redundant. So I would spend the money on gear, specifically headphones. But, if I could suggest a third alternative of going to concerts, that is what I would really want to spend the £1k on!

That's my first thought, too - concerts. I could find $1000 worth of gear to buy but I don't really need it; I would honestly have a difficult time buying $1000 of music. I tend to be quite slow in absorbing new music, everything I buy needs a few listens and maybe a couple of weeks to digest it. So buying $1000 all at once would make me kind of unhappy in a weird way. I'd never find a way to appreciate it all and it would be a waste. It's taken me 10-15 years to collect ~600 albums, and a solid number of those I haven't gotten around to listening yet or I've only listened to them once or twice. But concerts? Yeah. Live music is where it's at, for me. There are a number of bands where I've seen them live more times than I've listened to any of their albums...

I actually sort of answered this question in real life recently since I received a small inheritance this year and decided to put half of it into savings and spend half of it going to concerts. I'm currently trying to figure out where I'll go and what I'll do. Follow a favorite band around Europe for a week, go to a festival or three, or save it for next year when my favorite composer is celebrating his 60th birthday with a month of concerts in New York? If I knew someone in Europe with similar taste in music, a lot of free time, and a driver's license, it would be the first one ... but I'm having trouble locating that guy
wink.gif

May 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 61
I voted for music. My gears are good enough to my ears now, so I would not spend that much more on gears. Also my view is that, in determining music enjoyment, recording quality > headphone > amp or dac. Good gears can not make poorly recorded music sound excellent.

I am still buying used CDs on Amazon and ripping them to flac. I do have MOG premium subscription (320 kbps mp3), but lots of my favorite artists or albums are NOT included in MOG, so I still have to buy music. Further, I can not offer to download 1TB of MOG songs and store/transfer them, but I can easily do that with ripped flac files from the CDs that I bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back