10 most important albums in your life
Aug 24, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #46 of 68
Hmmm... interesting topic. Most important is not necessarily favourite but rather an album that represents best a fragment of time in my life.

1. King Crimson - Red
I remember listening to this album in the dead quiet of night somewhere in England, waiting for the tube, and realizing that life was dirty, gritty and finite. I hated everything except the feelings of deep sonic satisfaction that this mortal music evoked in me. Ever since then, Red has represented my deepest, most confusing and isolated moments and I therefore play it when I want to get out of a hole. Because, since I first began listening to music regularly, I have grown to love different genres and their ways of evoking certain moods in me. But no piece of music has ever left me feeling so satisfied.

2. Oasis - Morning Glory
Bombasting campfire music. I can't remember how many times I have bonded with someone during the summer singing 'Wonderwall' around a scorching campfire. It is uncanny how universally loved and appreciated that song is by coming-of-age teenagers. The music itself is nothing special, sometimes jovial, other times hopeless, but always bombasting. This album made knowing people much easier.

3. Matthew Good Band - Audio of Being
Most people probably don't know this album of this wonderful Canadian artist, but it is truly his hidden gem. This was recorded during a tumultuous, pre-breakup backdrop, and nowhere before have I ever heard the painful longing for human improvement more passionately sung than on this album. I cannot remember how many nights I stayed up, put on my headphones, turned off the lights, closed my eyes and just absorbed the texture of droning guitars and soaring voice.

4. Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Quite simply, this introduced me to progressive rock, a stage in my life, though now over, I will never forget. This was my passageway into concept albums, pretentious bombast, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, and eventually The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Because I knew this before hearing it described as being "difficult" and "complex", when I digested it and got it, it was the first time I felt like I actually accomplished something by listening to a piece of music. From there I decided that the album, as a cohesive whole, was always more important than the parts, and I haven't got back to singles since: if the album can't entice me, the artists has lost.

5. The Beatles - Revolver
As I said above, after discovering the album, this was the first one that really drew me in and held me by the throat, gasping for air. I was absolutely amazed at the simple arrangements and blatant use of stereo sound, yet it was the music, the whole song and individual pieces of art, together as an album, that made me realize what music was and could do: represent an idea, a piece of time and place, and that these four men inspired millions of others to make music. I realized that this is how great art is made.

6. The Verve - Urban Hymns
I have to admit something: I love brit-rock. I love Doves, I love Elbow, I love Coldplay, I love Oasis, I love Pulp, I love Blur, and I really love The Verve. I have spent probably more hours listening to Bittersweet Symphony than any other song in my life, and feel that every moment has been worth it. The violin sample was the greatest theft ever orchestrated, and is, in my opinion, the best opening to an album in history (though I don't know much). This is a perfect album, and I love listening to it.

7. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Ok, now we are getting more recent. This is my current favourite album, and the one that introduced me to the vast and newly-cool world that is indie rock. I love this album, I love the horns and the lo-fi sound and the folky strummed guitar and the cryptic lyrics about death and Anne Frank. I love how the title song was the first song I learned on guitar, and despite being achingly beautiful, one of the most simple chord progressions known. I have digested more indie rock, more music, in this past year, than I ever have in my life.

8. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
Quite simply, this is the musical equivalent of an orgasm. I have made out to this album more often than any other (even though it came out in 2003), and did not understand how such beautiful music could be produced from a guitar. This album lead me to other post-rock bands, and got me through a very tumultuous past summer.

9. Radiohead - OK Computer
Why? Because this is a really fine album. Because the four beeps at the end of Airbag leading into Paranoid Android make this album for me, and because Exit Music is one of my favourite all-time songs. This is my most frequently listened-to album, and I have never, not once, been tempted to fast forward or change the song. From beginning to end, this is a work of pure genius art and makes me believe in music every time I hear it.

10. Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Because his voice is silk drunkard, and because this album still stands up after 35 years. This was one of the first classic albums I ever heard, as my dad is a huge Morrison fan, and introduced me to jazz and blues in a very unconventional way. I will always be indebted to the Van for writing 'The Way Young Lovers Do' for me, a young lover, who has no idea how or what to do. Thanks, buddy.

I have more, but these are probably the most consistantly important ones in my life. Thanks for reading.

Aug 24, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #47 of 68
Hey, two people picked "Thick as a Brick" - wonderful stuff!

I'll take that (as a tongue-in-cheek intro to prog) along with

Bad Religion - Stranger than Fiction (my introduction to rock music)
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief (my introduction to folk music)
Ensemble Unicorn - Alfonso X: Cantigas de Santa Maria (intro to early music)
Jethro Tull - Aqualung (intro to, well, tull)
Love - Forever Changes (unique, as far as I know)
Grateful Dead - American Beauty (the *best* country album ever?)

Ignoring classical music (since you said "albums") it's actually difficult to come up with 3 more albums which would compare to those, so I think I'll leave it there.

Aug 24, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #48 of 68
I could get it down to 12, but no less.

Broken Social Scene -- You Forget it in People...this one opened me up to the strange world of indie music, and stands as one of my favorite albums of the last couple years.

Peter Gabriel -- Passion OST...supposedly this album helped rejuvinate world music in the U.S., and it's obvious why. Great compositions and an excellent flow to the album, hard not to love this CD.

Inade -- Aldebaran...absolutely incredible dark ambience. Took me the longest time to track it down, but I've loved every second that I've had it since then. This one goes out to that electronica nut Minya.
biggrin.gif

Yoko Kanno -- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST1&2...this certainly isn't the first of her soundtracks I've loved, but the work is a step in a new direction for her and contains some breathtaking material. The track "Fish ~ Silent Cruise" from the first OST is one of my top 10 favorite compositions ever (psst, download it, but tell nobody I told you to do it ^_^).

M83 -- Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts...this one is a late addition, but I simply can't get enough of it right now. Passingly resembles shoegaze groups like My Bloody Valentine in its wall of sound, but this strongly electronic album has some beautiful melodies and flows wonderfully. Just released in the U.S. with a bonus CD of B-sides and a couple videos -- how can you go wrong?

Massive Attack -- Mezzanine...this album is unquestionably the king of the trip hop world, at least in my eyes. Smooth, sexy, and downright dark.

The Orb -- Orbus Terrarum...one of the first electronic albums I can remember buying and I love every minute of it. Deep ambient textures and electronics make this one great.

Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon...doubt I need to say anything here.

Radiohead -- OK Computer...ditto.

Shpongle -- Are You Shpongled?...amazing, amazing, amazing. Anyone into ambient or electronic music *needs* this album. I originally was introduced to Posford's work through Hallucinogen's first album, but this one IMO stands alone as his best work.

Amon Tobin -- Permutation...I really disliked this album the first couple times I listened to it. Now it's arguably my favorite of Tobin's releases. Retains the jazzy sound of his first release Bricolage and contains some very addicting beats...I seem to recall that the fourth track, Sordid, was featured in a commercial a couple years ago.

Akira Yamaoka -- Silent Hill 1 OST...seems like a strange place to be introduced to industrial and dark ambient music, but here it is. For the intro and endings, Yamaoka created some incredible melodic rock tracks (just don't listen to Esperandote, which he didn't write)...in between are some incredibly dark, strangely beautiful works that made the atmosphere of the game unbelievable.

Aug 24, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #49 of 68
In no particular order;

Cream - Disreali Gears
George Thorogood & The Destroyers - Move It On Over
Best Of ZZ Top
Best Of Canned Heat
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
The Cure - Disintegration
New Order - Power, Corruption, & Lies
Joy Division - Substance
The Isley Brothers - Funky Family

Although there are many, many more.

Aug 25, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trounce
7. [b

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [/b]
Ok, now we are getting more recent. This is my current favourite album, and the one that introduced me to the vast and newly-cool world that is indie rock. I love this album, I love the horns and the lo-fi sound and the folky strummed guitar and the cryptic lyrics about death and Anne Frank. I love how the title song was the first song I learned on guitar, and despite being achingly beautiful, one of the most simple chord progressions known. I have digested more indie rock, more music, in this past year, than I ever have in my life.

8. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
Quite simply, this is the musical equivalent of an orgasm. I have made out to this album more often than any other (even though it came out in 2003), and did not understand how such beautiful music could be produced from a guitar. This album lead me to other post-rock bands, and got me through a very tumultuous past summer.

9. Radiohead - OK Computer
Why? Because this is a really fine album. Because the four beeps at the end of Airbag leading into Paranoid Android make this album for me, and because Exit Music is one of my favourite all-time songs. This is my most frequently listened-to album, and I have never, not once, been tempted to fast forward or change the song. From beginning to end, this is a work of pure genius art and makes me believe in music every time I hear it.

wow we have very similar taste in music.

anyway in no order:

tool - lateralus
tool is the band that really "woke me up" to real music. music beyond the garbage i was currently listening to. the day i bought this album was a true turning point in my life. i would be a very different person if it werent for tool.

godspeed you! black emperor - lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven
i bought this album on a whim and it blew me away. since then post rock is my absolute favorite genre.
got into them via a recommendation on the tool forums at TDN.

neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
my current favorite album as well. the first time i heard it i thought "what is this jumbled garbage and what is wrong with that man's voice?". now i listen to it at least once a day. every second of it is bliss. ive been into "indie" rock for some time now and i think its replacing post rock as my favorite genre because of this album.

radiohead - ok computer
radiohead are just awesome ok? they also got me interested in other british acts like spiritualized. they are also somewhat indirectly related for my love of electronic music.

pink floyd - animals
i loved this album long before i loved darkside so its more important to me. it also speaks to me more strongly and i feel more connected to it that pf's other albums.

king crimson - larks tongues in aspic
my introduction to prog rock is this album. through king crimson i got into the other prog bands (elp, yes, rush, jethro tull) and then into jazz and classical.
rage against the machine - rage against the machine
they helped me get into tool as well as being interested in politics and world issues and affairs. plus they rock hard!
they too were recommended on the toolshed forums.

miles davis - kind of blue
my first and still my favorite jazz recording. i put this in my discman on a bus ride home from jfk airport after a week in london and i was blown away. its just so smooth and relaxing and perfect.

the mars volta - deloused in the comatorium
another from the tool forums. TMV brought me from the world of hard and prog rock into the world of indie. i bought deloused on a whim and was drawn into a sort of trance the first time i listened to it. i cant wait to hear their next album.

sigur ros - agætis byrjun
sigur ros are just beyond what words can describe. the beauty contained in their music never fails to amaze me. agætis byrjun got me through some tough times and i really love this album.

Aug 25, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #51 of 68
any deftones album
The band and Chino's vocals just scream emotion at me...many memorable moments in my life happened during a deftones song. Deftones seems to be able to go from a whisper to screaming bloodymurder in a fraction of a second and pull it off. They may not be as technically proficient as Tool or NIN, but there style seems to match my life. Flawed and unperfect, but the idea and truth behind the sound and song is honest and brutul.

dead kennedys - give me convenience or give me death
The first "political" band and album that really spoke to me and one of my first introductions to true punk.

At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
To me, it just burst with energy and emotion. One of the few albums I can listen all the way through and not be bored.

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
My first exposure to the true art of turntables.

Nelly Furtado - Whoa Nelly
Just something about this album made it interesting to me. Most people can't stand her nasel delivery, but the sounds and her voice on this album just provide a cohesive match I have rarely heard. It just seems she had real fun making this album.

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Trent Reznor knows how to shock with "Closer" and provoke emotion with "Hurt" To me, this album expanded on that.

Nirvana - Nevermind
An obvious one, but this is the first album I got on my own and started my own journey into music.

Portishead - Portishead
Introduced me to the concept of Trip-Hop. The fragility of Beth's vocals and the sounds used to complement her amaze me. A somber album that I can listen to over and over again.

Radiohead - The Bends
I prefer this over OK Computer because of its acoustic content. I love acoustic and "High and Dry" is acoustic at one of its finest moments.

Aug 25, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #52 of 68
No order to this list:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Todd Rundgren - The Wizard, a True Star
The Beatles - Revolver
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Aerosmith - Get your Wings
Led Zeppelin I
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls for Rock N' Roll

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #53 of 68
These are some of the ones that have been the most "magical" for me. Beware -- there is a wide variety of styles and genres represented (one might almost say schizophrenic).

1. Bill Evans - Alone
Must've listened to this a million times. Solo piano music the way that only Bill Evans could play. I started listening to this CD when I spent a year in Taiwan back in '87, so whenever I put it on I'm immediately back in Taipei.

2. Glenn Gould - Goldberg Variations ('55 version)
Nobody plays Bach like Gould (take that however you want -- I know some people aren't particularly fond of his idiosyncrasies). I think it's sublime.

3. Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks (any one of them)
I'm really jealous of you guys that got to see them when Jerry was still alive. I'll have to experience them only through recorded media I guess. If I had to pick one song that pops up occasionally throughout the 32 volume set (30 of which I personally own) it would be "Eyes of the World". Takes me right back to the Saranac Lake / Lake Placid area of New York state. That's where I had my own personal Grateful Dead epiphany a few years ago.

4. Pat Metheny - 80/81
Was travelling around the fjords of Norway with my college band in the spring of '87, and this was one of the cassettes that I happened to put in my backpack. This is one of those that I didn't think much of at the start, but it really *really* grew on me. Hearing the first few bars of any tune takes me right back to the Norwegian countryside.

5. Housemartins - London 0 Hull 4
A friend introduced me to this group when I was living in Taipei of all places. Very unique sound. Some members of this group went on to form the Beautiful South, who I was lucky enough to hear at an outdoor venue in upstate New York in ~ '96. They opened for the Barenaked Ladies (see #6).

6. Barenaked Ladies - Gordon
This one makes the list for a couple of reasons. First, it was popular in this part of the country (upstate NY) when I met my girlfriend (soon to be fiance, now wife and mother of my children). And second, they weren't huge nationally back then (~ 1995), so it was easier / cheaper to see them. They actually made an appearance at our local Media Play (CD store) before they played an outdoor show in the Highland Bowl. We went to both. They played 3-4 songs right in the middle of the store. It was crowded, but fun.

7. Walter Hawkins - Love Alive I
About the most inspirational gospel music I've heard. This is the first in a series of 5 Love Alives (that I know of anyhow). I've got all 5, and this one is the best. Even though the recording quality isn't all that great and there are a few rough edges here and there, the spirit of this music will lift you up. Put it on Sunday morning before you go to church, and turn it up loud!

8. Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-e (deluxe edition)
Wish I'd had the chance to see Buckley live like some of you did. This will have to do, I guess. Grace is good, too. But I prefer this one. Just about feels like I was there...

9. Billy Taylor - White Nights and Jazz
The consummate jazz piano player. Saw him play most of this CD's songs live in Geneseo, NY and Carleton College in Northfield, MN. I was going through a rough stretch at the time, and Billy Taylor and his trio really brought my spirits up. It's a shame he's not more widely known.

10. Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys
Have to have at least one recent discovery, and this is it. We saw them play the Lilac Festival in Rochester, NY, this spring, and it was FREE. Given how they're taking off nationally, I doubt we'll ever have the chance to see them for free again. Henry is an awesome guitar player, and Jojo and Ringo do great on the bass and drums. And I think it's cool that they're all brothers. They're opening for the Allman Brothers on tour these days.

Aug 25, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #54 of 68
Lindy said:
8. Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-e (deluxe edition)
Wish I'd had the chance to see Buckley live like some of you did. This will have to do, I guess. Grace is good, too. But I prefer this one. Just about feels like I was there...

QUOTE]

One of the best live album's I've EVER heard is Jeff Buckley live at the Bataclan- the full 13 song concert, not just the 4 excerpts on the Grace EPs box set...Amazing performance and sound quality with a great crowd to boot... try to find it on SoulSeek if you can, you won't be disappointed. He also does an improv scat solo on his cover of The Way Young Lovers Do like on the Live at Sin-E album

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #55 of 68
  • The Beatles: White Album
  • Chicago: Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago II, Chicago III
  • Emerson, Lake, and Palmer: Trilogy, Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery
  • Isaac Hayes: Shaft, The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
  • Earth, Wind, and Fire: That's the Way of the World, Gratitude
  • Tower of Power: East Bay Grease, Back to Oakland
  • Cold Blood: First Taste of Sin
  • Yes: Yessongs, Fragile
  • Don Ellis: Tears of Joy, Electric Bath
  • Chase: Chase, Ennea, Pure Music
  • Monty Python: The Other Record, Matching Tie & Handkerchief, Live at Lincoln Center, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Aug 25, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #56 of 68
a partial list for now, I'm too brain-dead to do it all now

in no particular order whatsoever:

Massive Attack - Protection
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Nirvana - Nevermind
Nirvana - Unplugged
Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience (not wonderfully mastered, but the spawn of my love for the master)
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Miles & Coltrane [Live]

will update later

Aug 25, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #57 of 68
It's hard to choose only ten, but i like the idea, let's try it:

The Beatles: Abbey Road.
David Bowie: Ziggy Stardust.
Grateful Dead: Live/Dead.
Frank Zappa: Joe's Garage.
Queen: Sheer Heart Attack.
Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons.
The Who: Who's Next.
Pink Floyd: A Saucerful Of Secret.
Talking Heads: Fear of Music.
Yes: Close to the Edge.

Aug 25, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
Akira Yamaoka -- Silent Hill 1 OST...seems like a strange place to be introduced to industrial and dark ambient music, but here it is. For the intro and endings, Yamaoka created some incredible melodic rock tracks (just don't listen to Esperandote, which he didn't write)...in between are some incredibly dark, strangely beautiful works that made the atmosphere of the game unbelievable.

I need this one badly, but i'm afraid i'm way too late. Do you now if it's still available somewhere? Or sell me your copy...50 bucks, OK?
icon10.gif

Or if you can give me the ref. (published by Konami i guess).

Thank you very much.

Aug 26, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #59 of 68
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Led Zeppelin - I
The Who - Tommy
The '69 Woodstock Album
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Soft Machine - Vol. 1 & 2

Aug 27, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #60 of 68
In no particular order (this list expires at the end of the day today if not sooner):

Pink Floyd- DSOTM
Led Zeppelin II
Getz/Gilberto
Axis/ Bold as Love
Giant Steps
REM Murmur
Van Halen
Grateful Dead - American Beauty
The English Beat- Special Beat Service
The Beatles- Abbey Road

Tomorrow I'll have a completely different list, I'm sure.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back