$10,000 headphones...is that crazy?
May 18, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 29
Not being too informed about the Drop stuff, why do people who buy Drop HPs sell them off a few months later? Hype, lack of knowledge?

Yes,
Mostly hype.....but even moreso, Audiophiles are addicted to getting something new, hoping to find what can't be found.
There is no such thing as the "best" headphone sound.
There is only upper tier TOTL< that you break the bank owning, and convince yourself that it must be the best.... = as how could it cost that much, and not be the best.?
Yet it isn't.

Here is the "best".
The best is the one that you put on and everytime you do, you like it.
So, keep that one, as its the best for you.
And if it cost $200, then don't worry about it, and in fact be thankful that it didn't cost you $6000 and isn't the one you want to hear all the time.

May 18, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 29
There is only upper tier TOTL< that you break the bank owning, and convince yourself that it must be the best.... = as how could it cost that much, and not be the best.?
Yet it isn't.
Nothing wrong with having an expensive hobby, as long as you are honest with yourself. I for one have climbed the ladder from $500, $1k, $1.5k, $3k until reached $5k and was happy the whole time. Did my listening experience improve? Yes it did. Was it night and day difference, no, of course not. Also, I have friends who spent the same amount of money, but chose to own multiple pieces to complement their music selection. Again, this is a hobby and as long as you are not preaching to others on how they should "hear" or how they should "spend", do whatever you like.

May 18, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #18 of 29
Nothing wrong with having an expensive hobby, as long as you are honest with yourself. I for one have climbed the ladder from $500, $1k, $1.5k, $3k until reached $5k and was happy the whole time. Did my listening experience improve? Yes it did. Was it night and day difference, no, of course not. Also, I have friends who spent the same amount of money, but chose to own multiple pieces to complement their music selection. Again, this is a hobby and as long as you are not preaching to others on how they should "hear" or how they should "spend", do whatever you like.

If you chase the rabbit hole........in other words.....if you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ climb the hype ladder of....>"improved listening experience"........ that fine and good, but to say that 'up there" is the best......is illusion.
I can afford it. And ive heard them.....Ive heard the "best', and they are not the best. They are just one more flavor that costs you more to taste.
Nothing wrong with tasting, but, its not accurate to say that the best is found only where the most money is spent, regarding Headphone buying.
"up there" is expensive and different, but, that extreme financial math does not prove end game has been realized.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #19 of 29
Yes,
Mostly hype.....but even moreso, Audiophiles are addicted to getting something new, hoping to find what can't be found.
Yet it isn't.

Here is the "best".
The best is the one that you put on and everytime you do, you like it.
So, keep that one, as its the best for you.
And if it cost $200, then don't worry about it, and in fact be thankful that it didn't cost you $6000 and isn't the one you want to hear all the time.
I think that one inherent problem of this hobby is to listen to gear instead to music. Ok, I follow the different charts and analysis (lows, mids and highs) as a reference. But some of my preferred music sound better with my Beyer 1990 Pro, other genres with Sony Z7, and so on...

May 18, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 29
I think that one inherent problem of this hobby is to listen to gear instead to music. Ok, I follow the different charts and analysis (lows, mids and highs) as a reference. But some of my preferred music sound better with my Beyer 1990 Pro, other genres with Sony Z7, and so on...

Audiophile means to obsess on how each gear sounds, vs, obsessing on the music, per say.

Audiophiles love music, but we love changing the gear a little bit more.

An audiophile will spend their time plugging in and unplugging in....
Thats the idea.
As in..
"""i wonder how the music will sound through THAT Gear". = Thats the bumper sticker, and money is spent chasing that situation and there is nothing wrong with that, as its a safe, low calorie obsession that gets you "contact high" without having to smoke it, drink it, or shoot it.

May 18, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #21 of 29
I think it comes down to people liking to tinker with their gear, like they do with cars, motorcycles, computers. It's a hobby, but I agree, making statements like "this is the best" is very subjective, and can be best for you, but one should not discount other people's experiences.

May 18, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #22 of 29
I think it comes down to people liking to tinker with their gear, like they do with cars, motorcycles, computers. It's a hobby, but I agree, making statements like "this is the best" is very subjective, and can be best for you, but one should not discount other people's experiences.

Is it your hobby?
I can't say its my hobby.
Its one of my obsessions.

I think that there is a false understanding about this word "hobby".
Some consider and evaluate everything as.....>if if makes you money", its not a hobby, but if its not making you money, and you are deep into it, then its a "hobby".
For me its a lifestyle, an obsession, a must do it.
I have listened to headphones, or thought about headphones, or tried to buy or did buy headphones, every day, for over 15 yrs.
I received 2 sets this week, and sold my Abyss Dv2.

My "hobby" is growing Roses, or perhaps, reading, but my Headphone obsession, is way beyond "hobby".
Ive spent more on headphones then most people have spent on their home.

May 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 29
Is it your hobby?
I can't say its my hobby.
Its one of my obsessions.
If it is an obsession, are you happy with that fact? I spoke to a therapist before, since my partner thought I am escaping the reality through researching/buying/selling audio gear. You can read more about my experience here.

May 18, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #24 of 29
If it is an obsession, are you happy with that fact? I spoke to a therapist before, since my partner thought I am escaping the reality through researching/buying/selling audio gear. You can read more about my experience here.

Im as Happy as a Lark in a Park singing in the Dark.

Obsession is the only real life.
A life is mapped by your obsessions.
Anything else is "bored".
Everything created that is GREAT, is the work of obsession.
Obsession is the fuel of great art and a great life.
Every great person in the history of mankind was marked and designed by obsession.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #25 of 29
Ive spent more on headphones then most people have spent on their home.

Now I'm getting really curious ... did you buy pretty much every TOTL headphone that exists in the world or are homes that cheap where you live or just that expensive where I live :wink: ?

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #26 of 29
Now I'm getting really curious ... did you buy pretty much every TOTL headphone that exists in the world or are homes that cheap where you live or just that expensive where I live :wink: ?

The easiest way to understand what i do, is to look at my Head-fi, bio.
You'll find a partial list of my headphones, i own or have owned.
Some of my Abyss are not on the page, and many others.....etc.
Its a "partial" list.'

Im a studio musician = mastering engineer , part time.
i have a non-profit youtube channel, that is all highest rez music that you'll hear there, but i can't control youtube compression, that sucks out a bit of the dynamics.
Yet, ive the best site for just listening. I created it for people to go and test their headphones.

some people say that music is their life.
thats me.

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #27 of 29
I actually think the inverse.

I may have thought JPS was leading a crusade with the TC, however, feel for quite some years their flagship will keep.

What has given me this gullible view, the SR1a becoming a revelation to true reference and feeling their circumaural will further move the goal post whilst, I believe, lowering the price to entry.

Shrugs.

May 18, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #28 of 29
If you chase the rabbit hole........in other words.....if you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ climb the hype ladder of....>"improved listening experience"........ that fine and good, but to say that 'up there" is the best......is illusion.
I can afford it. And ive heard them.....Ive heard the "best', and they are not the best. They are just one more flavor that costs you more to taste.
Nothing wrong with tasting, but, its not accurate to say that the best is found only where the most money is spent, regarding Headphone buying.
"up there" is expensive and different, but, that extreme financial math does not prove end game has been realized.

Listening is very personal and different from person to person. A lot depends individual hearing, preferences, music style etc. etc. Everyone is entitled to his opinion - and just as you believe that "the best" are "not the best" there are others who think different.
I personally believe a lot depends on system synergy and found after a lot of testing that unfortunately some of the more expensive headphones are also able to give the best results (for my taste, hearing, music style etc.) ... if and only if you have the right equipment to complement it.
I haven't found any cheap headphones that can keep up with a 009 or Susvara to give me that amount of listening pleasure but I'm open to suggestions :)

May 18, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #29 of 29
The easiest way to understand what i do, is to look at my Head-fi, bio.
You'll find a partial list of my headphones, i own or have owned.
Some of my Abyss are not on the page, and many others.....etc.
Its a "partial" list.'

Im a studio musician = mastering engineer , part time.
i have a non-profit youtube channel, that is all highest rez music that you'll hear there, but i can't control youtube compression, that sucks out a bit of the dynamics.
Yet, ive the best site for just listening. I created it for people to go and test their headphones.

some people say that music is their life.
thats me.
I'll check it out :wink:

in my area an average home (= appartment, not even a house) nowadays costs around a million $ and that's without all the furniture and stuff so even though I've spent a lot on headphones it doesn't get close that level of investment :)

Update:
After I looked though the list it seems houses must be pretty cheap where you live - didn't find any HE1, Shangri-La or similar stuff ^^

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back