1 week review of Sony NW-ZX507 (NW-ZX500 Series)

ZX507 better than AK Kann Cube?

• Total voters
Oct 5, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #107 of 136
@joshfc2001

New 3.0 firmware out for ZX507 with improved DSEE Ultimate and better bluetooth volume control and bluetooth EQ support.

Wow! That's great news for me! I was using Amazon Music HD eq when using Bluetooth and would rather just use the Sony eq

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #109 of 136
image.jpg

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #110 of 136
Eq on Bluetooth source works now!

Great.

And the fine volume controls on the 507 are great compared to doing them on my headphones.

Range-wise 9 slight volume steps on the 507 gets done in 4 'ugly' steps on my Bluetooth headphones

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #111 of 136
Sony added a couple of quality of life improvements as well.

Now you can swipe left or right and play or pause your music in the sound adjustment page.

When you use the track time slider, the time code is prominently displayed on the album art

If you tap on the track title above the software play pause button. You can also search albums by this artist or songs on this album.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #112 of 136
Edit: Removed.....posted in zx500 thread

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #115 of 136
Not amazing.

May 22, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #116 of 136
Hi,

I agree with the initial post on this thread...the ZX507 is beyond the AK Cube. In so far as my own experience; I've owned several DAP's including the AK240, AK Cube, Sony WM1A... this one somehow trumps all.
I'm using iem's for the most part and most recently purchase CA Andromeda's (V3, 2019 model)... the sound quality and layering has me hearing detail and nuances in hi-res files I simply didn't before... of course this has a lot to do with both your head/earphones as well as the SQ of your files. That being said the soundstage is significantly better than any other source I've heard as well.
I disabled most items in Android as well, and can attest to the only real issue being the touted battery life isn't as advertised, but frankly, that applies to all DAPs...
I also use USB Audio Pro and direct sound processing vs. Android processing... it allows the best sound quality vs. the Sony App (which is already fantastic) and allows direct access to TIDAL without using the TIDAL app... it works great and sounds easily as good as the proprietary app.
I bought mine from a seller on eBay from Japan, with the case... ended up being the same price as it will be in Canada - once they are actually available.
Last point - I had to run my various head/earphones at "80" on other DAPS to really hear all elements of any track... on the ZX507 and the Andromeda's I'm usually at 40-50 (out of 120 steps available)... the sound is that clear and articulated - plus these iem's run at 12 OHMs so less power is required...
No need to drive into the observations or verbiage of blacks, mids, transparency, clarity, bass... all this player requires is a listen of a hi-res file with a decent pair of iem's or headphones...you will be sold.
+ Quick add - sorry, I should have noted that best results are always with a balanced connection; currently using a Sony Kimber Balanced cable, have a iBasso's MMCX balanced cable as well but the Sony seems to sound better with Acoustune 1551Cu iem's, Shure 846's, and with the CA Andromeda's...
Dave

I really love the Andromeda 2020s with the Sony NW-ZX507. It was sublime.

May 26, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #117 of 136
I currrently use zx507 as my go-to dap for everything listening. Paired with Andromeda, Polaris V2 and Ara and they sound great. EQ really makes the sound pop as well which I've never used EQ for anything but the experience is that much better so why not. Not every listening experience needs to be overanalyzed or put under a microscope to squeeze every single detail.. this is a fun dap for fun enjoyable listening.

May 27, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #118 of 136
I would definitely and explicitly recommend to pair the ZX507 to the Sony IER-M9 balanced. Update to the latest firmware and update the Sony headphone app. Create Wired headset profile for IER-M9 in the headphone app, upload your ear profile to Sony for analysis. You have to ensure the IER-M9 profile is properly selected if you have other Bluetooth devices used with the ZX507.

Once you do above on the ZX507 + IER-M9, even your offline stereo music files played on the walkman music app will have the same kind of 3D surround imaging like this video does:

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #119 of 136
been out of the loop for a bit, what's the latest with the zx507 being whipped with not playing true HI RES in 3rd party apps these days? I've master tidal for a couple of years now, has that been a waste of money with the zx507?

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #120 of 136
Will the NW-ZX507 stream Apple Music Lossless/High Res?

I have an M11 Pro and use Tidal currently, but would love to switch to Apple, which the M11P can't stream. (Right now I pay for Apple for the family and Tidal for myself.)

Also, is the 507 comparable to the M11P in sound quality?

My headphones are Shure SRH-1540 with 4.4 balanced cable.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back