1 week review of Sony NW-ZX507 (NW-ZX500 Series)

ZX507 better than AK Kann Cube?

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #76 of 136
I have mixed thoughts about returning it.

The size and weight was amazing
The screen way too small
Perhaps my old ears can’t tell the difference between Amazon Music HD @ 44.1 or at Hi Res
I never tried the THX process or whatever it is called

still with my trusty old Hiby R6 Pro

Dont try to discern the difference on zx507 lol its all down sampled.

Try it on pc instead

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #77 of 136
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #78 of 136
So I have re bought it.

507 TAKE TWO!!! - and ACTION!

my justifications

it’s my birthday next week
I hope the firmware sample rate rumour is true
With my new LDAC neckband for my iems the small size may be less of an issue as it won’t be pulled around by a thick heavy cable.

caveats

I won’t be able to use any buttons for Amazon Music HD - screen taps only
My old eyes will have to deal with the tiny screen
my big old, dry thumbs will have to deal with operating the tiny screen too.

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #79 of 136
Thanks for all the wonderful reviews.Looks like I'm back home.

Previously had ZX300/WM1A.

Just bought the 16GB model ZX505 on Joybuy for $560, No taxes, and free shipping. All my music is on a 400GB SD Card.

Really excited to get back to Sony.

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #81 of 136
I think the latest firmware has slightly improved battery life and runs cooler to touch.

If you want better battery life, you should try enabling battery saver mode.

Using DSP settings also will eat alot of battery life about 40% or more.

I feel that battery life is non issue on the zx507 since it charges up so fast. 50% in half an hour using USB C Power Delivery. I carry around an anker power bank which has enough juice to power my phone and walkman for the whole day.

Try getting a bottle of Deoxit gold to clean the gold connectors of your walkman and 4.4mm/3.5mm jack and mmcx points of your iem. In my experience, it brings slightly more dynamics and clarity to the sound.
is it ok to charge zx507 with old ipad 2 (5,.1V 1.1A) charger? (or old xiaomi power bank 5000mah, perhaps it has same as ipad char er output)?
as I understand it will charge zx507 faster. however, will it harm players battery life?

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #82 of 136
is it ok to charge zx507 with old ipad 2 (5,.1V 1.1A) charger? (or old xiaomi power bank 5000mah, perhaps it has same as ipad char er output)?
as I understand it will charge zx507 faster. however, will it harm players battery life?

I use a 45W wall charger with a type C to typeC connection and it charges from 0 to 100% in 1hr 15min.

The standard cable that comes with the player charges in about 2hrs off my pc

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #83 of 136
Jul 15, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #84 of 136
Link doesn't work. No permission to access.

How has your ZX507 been fairing, with the new firmware?

I would like to draw the attention of those who seek to find a balanced crisp and amazing combination that just fits! So much so, I sold all my other gear as mentioned in my previous post as I have found the perfect match FOR ME!

The Sony IER-Z1R, TA-ZH1ES, along with the ZX507 (with v2.0.1 update which enabled streaming at hi-res bit rates) as the source. I always realised the Z1R needed more power to fully unleash its potential although it sounded pretty good on its own with the ZX507. Adding the TA-ZH1ES took it to a whole nother level. Lesser hiss, lower noise, and I am hearing things I couldn't hear before from varous tracks albeit hi-res or CD quality. This AMP/DAC was made to combine with Sony gears perfectly.

Low Gain is sufficient but High Gain output really maxed it out and Z1R sounded oh so amazing at its full potential. My other settings include DSD Remastering "ON", however i didn't need DC Phase Linearizer as it didn't make any difference as an analog setting as it converts all to digital anyway or DSEE HX as my music files are pretty good quality ranging from CD quality to DSD. Streaming TIDAL with the ZX507 with its latest update as well managed to obtain hi res bit rates these days so pretty happy with the DAP all round.

1594827703293.png

I got the TA-ZH1ES at a really good deal from Sony Store Malaysia at $1580 USD. I have to admit this combination isn't cheap by any means, in fact the total value cost me about $4000 USD rounded up. But once you start doing your work from home while listening to this, you got no regrets. Every tune so far sounds amazing. Listening to Giorgio by Moroder by Daft Punk, is enough to tell the whole story.

Happy to hear your thoughts and ideas (and criticisms for going with this - you could call it a safe combination but the price doesn't suggest a safe one at all). Happy to answer any questions.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #86 of 136
I use a 45W wall charger with a type C to typeC connection and it charges from 0 to 100% in 1hr 15min.

The standard cable that comes with the player charges in about 2hrs off my pc
3 A charger. nice! however, are u sure that it's ok for the battery life of zx507?
by now I've been used only laptop and 1A iphone se charger.
Now I consider using 2.1 A charger

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #87 of 136
One recommendation I would give is to leave the equipment running continuously if what you seek is the maximum sound quality. Do not shutdown ZX507(switch off auto power off) and the TAZH1ES.

This is because of thermal equilibrium. You want your equipment to maintain a consistent running temperature in it's internal components which means vibrations due to thermal expansion has peaked out. This is micro-vibrations on the PCB layer that we can't feel.

In my experience with audio equipment, they tend to sound their best after 24hours or more. Soundstage has more depth and more darker noise floor. It is a very subtle effect but you may find it so important if you can hear the difference.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #88 of 136
3 A charger. nice! however, are u sure that it's ok for the battery life of zx507?
by now I've been used only laptop and 1A iphone se charger.
Now I consider using 2.1 A charger

Nope. Had the player since Dec 2019 and the battery life always sucked from the start haha. It never improved nor deteriorated.
Once it hits 100% power, if you notice it cuts off the charging and the little orange light in front stops shining.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #89 of 136
One recommendation I would give is to leave the equipment running continuously if what you seek is the maximum sound quality. Do not shutdown ZX507(switch off auto power off) and the TAZH1ES.

This is because of thermal equabrium. You want your equipment to maintain a consistent running temperature in it's internal components which means vibrations due to thermal expansion has peaked out. This is micro-vibrations on the PCB layer that we can't feel.

In my experience with audio equipment, they tend to sound their best after 24hours or more. Soundstage has more depth and more darker noise floor. It is a very subtle effect but you may find it so important if you can hear the difference.

Good point but I can't do that as the Walkman connection from the TA-ZH1ES to the ZX507 has no charge (clearly stated as well in the operating instructions of the amp).

Each time i use is from 100% to 10% (which doesn't take long on High Gain) then I have to recharge the player again. For continuous listening purposes I have the Amp connected to my PC as well hence I just switch over the mode and continue with Tidal and Sony Music Centre for the same music content.

Note: It is important to note that streaming Tidal from PC does not transmit Hi Res. For Hi Res streaming, i have to use ZX507 on the latest firmware.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #90 of 136
I would like to draw the attention of those who seek to find a balanced crisp and amazing combination that just fits! So much so, I sold all my other gear as mentioned in my previous post as I have found the perfect match FOR ME!

The Sony IER-Z1R, TA-ZH1ES, along with the ZX507 (with v2.0.1 update which enabled streaming at hi-res bit rates) as the source. I always realised the Z1R needed more power to fully unleash its potential although it sounded pretty good on its own with the ZX507. Adding the TA-ZH1ES took it to a whole nother level. Lesser hiss, lower noise, and I am hearing things I couldn't hear before from varous tracks albeit hi-res or CD quality. This AMP/DAC was made to combine with Sony gears perfectly.

Low Gain is sufficient but High Gain output really maxed it out and Z1R sounded oh so amazing at its full potential. My other settings include DSD Remastering "ON", however i didn't need DC Phase Linearizer as it didn't make any difference as an analog setting as it converts all to digital anyway or DSEE HX as my music files are pretty good quality ranging from CD quality to DSD. Streaming TIDAL with the ZX507 with its latest update as well managed to obtain hi res bit rates these days so pretty happy with the DAP all round.

1594827703293.png

I got the TA-ZH1ES at a really good deal from Sony Store Malaysia at $1580 USD. I have to admit this combination isn't cheap by any means, in fact the total value cost me about $4000 USD rounded up. But once you start doing your work from home while listening to this, you got no regrets. Every tune so far sounds amazing. Listening to Giorgio by Moroder by Daft Punk, is enough to tell the whole story.

Happy to hear your thoughts and ideas (and criticisms for going with this - you could call it a safe combination but the price doesn't suggest a safe one at all). Happy to answer any questions.
What's the dock the sony's on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back