1 week review of Sony NW-ZX507 (NW-ZX500 Series)

ZX507 better than AK Kann Cube?

• Total voters
Mar 6, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #61 of 136
I would like to hear from anyone out there who owns a high-level DAP (which I'm shopping around for) *and* a Mac computer (mine's an Imac). In general, I am frustrated by how little attention reviewers give to the player's software for importing music files and then displaying their contents (not just displaying but sorting by various data fields, creating playlists,and so on). On top of that, most of these DAPs seem to expect to team up with PCs with Mac pairing treated dismissively if at all (and with features unavailable when a Mac is used). This Sony unit, otherwise so attractive, is typical in that way.

Look, there is no such thing as a DAP Users' Forum so I'm a bit of a "boat person" in that there's no place to post this. Mac forums? No. Headphone forums? Nah. But if you own a Mac an an $800-$1200 DAP that pairs with it nicely as per the above, I'd appreciate hearing from you! Thanks.

Mar 6, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #62 of 136
Big Mac user here - I only hook my dap up to use as a Bluetooth player for my 4.4mm balanced items and I don't do that very often at all. But that's because I am all about streaming (Amazon HD) and playing back it's hi res off line download files

Thing is, as a Mac user, you have to take Apple's zero adoption of Hi Res on the chin. It's a walled garden and hi res has been left outside that wall. So you will have to deal with some pain futzing arround with file transfers and sync.

You could run apple music App on your DAP - but what hi res fan would want to?

For the above reasons you won't find a silver bullet for Mac with this hobby - yet. Perhaps in the future companies like Apple and Bose will get with the program.

So far they haven't. It's been disappointing.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #63 of 136
Big Mac user here - I only hook my dap up to use as a Bluetooth player for my 4.4mm balanced items and I don't do that very often at all. But that's because I am all about streaming (Amazon HD) and playing back it's hi res off line download files

Thing is, as a Mac user, you have to take Apple's zero adoption of Hi Res on the chin. It's a walled garden and hi res has been left outside that wall. So you will have to deal with some pain futzing arround with file transfers and sync.

You could run apple music App on your DAP - but what hi res fan would want to?

For the above reasons you won't find a silver bullet for Mac with this hobby - yet. Perhaps in the future companies like Apple and Bose will get with the program.

So far they haven't. It's been disappointing.

...sorry, but eh?

For iPhones, Apple Music (the service) isn’t high res and you’re stuck with playing ALAC if you want to use the built in players and your own files. But there are plenty of apps to play higher res stuff on, just that you’ll need an external DAC to do it. Android isn’t much better with native output on most devices. Bluetooth, yes, Apple is annoyingly stuck on AAC only.

But the question was Macs, which are perfectly capable of playing most any file you want, but just like PCs will require an outboard DAC of some kind for some hires formats. I’ve not encountered particularly elegant interfaces for Android DAPs for either Mac or PC - it’s pretty much drag and drop and then up to the player software on the device to make it workable.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #65 of 136
Anybody compared the zx507 to the wm1a? I wonder if it beats the wm1a in sound quality. Thanks

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #67 of 136
Question, I am considering the ZX-507, having the SR15 has been an interesting journey but i find that all astell and kern DAPs are more focused on an IEM front. Reading that you were able to run the DT1990 Pro.. gave me hope as thoes are currently my most power hungry headphones. I'm considering owning/using a pair of Audeze LCD2Classics, have you been able to demo thoes with the DAP? thanks for any info :)

Do you know if prices will settle? i know i've seen them sold before on amazon for around 1k$ CND, but now since they're in low supply or sold out, im only finding them for around 2k+ which is very unreasonable since sony sell them at a retail MSRP of 1k$.

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #69 of 136
Does the Sony app play tidal at full hi res?
Can offline tidal be accessed in the Sony app?
Cheers

Sony app is only playing local files.

Tidal and all streaming apps are downsampled to 48.1 16 bit no matter what u do.

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #70 of 136
Sony app is only playing local files.

Tidal and all streaming apps are downsampled to 48.1 16 bit no matter what u do.
Will probably end up selling just for this reason

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #71 of 136
Will probably end up selling just for this reason
My exact same problem mine is for sale!

Sony failed on android src big time what a shame

Mar 30, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #72 of 136
My exact same problem mine is for sale!

Sony failed on android src big time what a shame
I know right. Offering an android device only to throttle it. Ier's and zx507 for sale

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #73 of 136
Mar 31, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #75 of 136
I have mixed thoughts about returning it.

The size and weight was amazing
The screen way too small
Perhaps my old ears can’t tell the difference between Amazon Music HD @ 44.1 or at Hi Res
I never tried the THX process or whatever it is called

still with my trusty old Hiby R6 Pro

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back